Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
All hunts and all safaris have something very special to offer, but there are few destinations that have the appeal of the Zambezi Valley. Even as you crest the escarpment of the Great African Rift Valley the haze from the bush on the valley floor below with its myriad of gray baobab crowns beckons you down. As you descend into that ancient paradise, it is the senses that get there first - the intense heat, smells of dung and earth, and the dead quiet. Soon the tsetse flies come to bring you back and you are here! All the animals you will find here were here first, have been here forever, and you are the temporary guest. Arriving in a camp under massive albidas, the occasional whiff of paraffin lamps, canvas and mopane smoke to wrap you in Africa, complete, and ready for tomorrows first hunt. I have been maybe thirty times, but never with a rifle. But before my days are up I will surely return to pay the ultimate respect to this splendid place, to hunt it.
84B89411-2A2B-43AC-AFEB-83177EB7C060.jpeg

Love the Series 2 . It’s obvious you are a masochist!

Series 1, even better! This thing has taken us on five safaris, extremely capable vehicle. Here with a large zebra stallion, two impala rams, four hunters and our guide.
A3A8E8DF-FE98-4D7D-AEE9-5E6BACEB0BB6.jpeg

I’ll raise you several (?) wild boar packed into the back of a Hilux. Sorry, it definitely doesn’t have the class of a Series.

B9F76374-4A4A-4CA0-B192-81FC790C41F8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zambezi Valley is a harsh place but full of wonder. I would like to go there again as it is such an adventure.
the lion in my avatar is from the Zambezi Valley.
Philip

One of my favorite places

Hi Philip, where about in the valley were you hunting?

At his request, my father's ashes were spread at Mana Pools, where he hunted the Valley waaay before Kariba was built!! I grew up there, more fishing than hunting as a kid, but have hunted there on my own steam as I matured... Nothing like the Valley... Especially in OCTOBER!!!

At his request, my father's ashes were spread at Mana Pools, where he hunted the Valley waaay before Kariba was built!! I grew up there, more fishing than hunting as a kid, but have hunted there on my own steam as I matured... Nothing like the Valley... Especially in OCTOBER!!!

Yup warming up nicely then....:D

My favorite place in the whole world, hence my forum name. Spent many days and nights there on both sides of the river. Last time I was there spent a long weekend on the Zambian side between Chirundu border and the confluence of the Kafue and Zambezi rivers. Decent tiger fishing (although not the biggest) and plenty game to be seen on the Zim side.

If anyone really wants to catch the biggest aquatic creative then just on the tip of the downstream side of the large island (a few hundred meters long) at the confluence. We anchored up and I set my drag for a +- 5kg fish... whatever hit my line it hit it hard and stripped 200m of line in about 10 seconds! Tried again in the same spot the next day and set up for a +- 10kg fish... same thing happened! No Lure, no line and nothing to show for it!

Ok that was 20 years ago but whatever it was might still be there... just bigger!!:eek:

One of our Carruther's group has a nice lodge at Mongwe, near your fabled spot, and yes there are some monsters in the river near the confluence. Some old timers claim even Goliath may be present... We aim to set up a canvas camp in Nyakasanga for our buffalo hunt later this year and then to adjourn to the lodge in Mongwe for a few days fishing before heading back to Harare. Cant wait, even got a green card from the wife.

812ED1DF-FB38-4352-BEB0-56E5CB18EC5D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the perfect getaway in the right spot! If you require a videographer / camp cleaner / fishing guide / drinking buddy / tyre changer / bullshit artist / etc let me know... my rates are pretty low :cool::LOL:

Enjoy every second!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg