Dox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi

I would like to have an honest opinion about my kudu.Its longest horn is 40 1/2" I would like to know whether its a good,small or average sized kudu?

Thanks
Dox

Honestly, its small if it is a greater kudu. of course what is important is the size of the memories you created.

Dox - don't put too much thought into the inches!

I have a friend who went on a five day hunt and shot a 58" kudu while sitting on the back of a Toyota with his rifle over a cushioned rest on the vehicles roof. It was his first day in Africa, arrived that morning.

We have spent weeks hunting many areas; countless hours on foot and glassing mountains. When I finally took my kudu, we had been on foot tracking a waterbuck when we cut very fresh kudu spoor, so we changed our plan. We stalked at snail's pace and finally spotted him when the sun caught his horns as he fed. Only shot I could get was off hand at 75 yards; he bolted and we followed the blood for 20 minutes till we came upon him. Another off hand shot just a bit further away and he was down.

He went 47"; certainly no record breaker. But from 7am I had spent two-and-a-half heart-pounding hours moving very slowly, completely in the zone. It was an amazing experience that I was very proud of; it's not every day that a fellow gets to stalk up to the Grey Ghost of Africa and tap him on the shoulder! When my wife joined us a little while later she was completely in awe of this most beautiful antelope.

This is the only opportunity I have ever had on a kudu, and it's not from lack of effort! Surely the measure of our sport and the game we hunt shouldn't be in inches? If you did it right, throw that tape measure away and be proud of him every time you walk by that mount, look at a photo, or relive that stalk.

Dox its the feel of the hunt not the size of the trophy, its a complete package of a memory and the moment well spent which shall be with you for your entire life, 401/2 is less if its a greater Kudu, as u havent mentioned the animal.

happy hunting

Monish

Hi

I would like to have an honest openion about my kudu.Its longest horn is 40 1/2" I would like to know wheather its a good,small or average sized kudu?

Thanks
Dox

40 ½ inch kudu is still a young bull.

Hope you enjoyed the hunt.

I have yet to take a kudu bull with the bow...

Dox, Trophy measurements are only one aspect of evaluation but surely not the first one nor a needed one... Can you perhaps post a picture of your Kudu, this would be a lot more helpful to be able to identify your animal.

Hi Dox

I would consider your kudu just below average but the most important thing is the hunt itself as everyone mentioned above its just one aspect of the hunt, you as the hunter must feel satisfied and learn from your hunt so when you hunt next time it will a greater experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross