Your opinion on Best Caliber for plainsgame in Africa?

Best caliber for plainsgame?

• various 7mm's

Votes: 28 9.8%

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • 30-06

Votes: 48 16.8%
  • various .300's

Votes: 92 32.3%
  • 338 win mag

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • 358. norma magnum

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 9.3 x 62

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • 375 H&H

Votes: 41 14.4%

• Total voters
I know there is hundreds of very good caliber combination out there but between the ones on the pole which I think is the more common ones. Which one would you take if you could only take one and bag all the plains game found in Africa.

Because you have only one rifle you are able to reload for it to find a perfect load for your quarry.

After choosing please state why ?
I've used a 30-06 on game similar to plains game animals except Kudu etc and the 180gr bullets will do the job but If I had to choose only one rifle to take to Africa, for both DG & PG I would take a .404J with .257gr & 300gr bullets for PG. The beauty of the Cutting Edge .257gr is it's reversible from a hollow point to a solid! how handy is that for the really littlies without blowing them to bits and ruining their lovely skins (and meat)?. The velocities of this relatively light bullet in a big boomer are probably quite frightening but I guess you could download them. The 300gr can be loaded to .375H&H velocities, another handy load, and for close encounters of the big stomping & hooking kind, A-Frame's .400gr & Woodleigh's .450gr. The one African DG that would really scare the britches off me is the Rhino, which tend to go through things rather than around them - they are protected (from all except poachers) and I hope they can still be around in Africa for a long time to come, it would be a shame to lose such a magnificent beast, however, I digress.

you spelled .416 Rigby wrong :)
@Nature Boy
BeeMaa has always had great difficulty with spelling.
Every time he types 35 Whelen something strange happens. He may have to get his keyboard fixed I think it may have some problems. Either that or he genuinely can't spell.
Bob

I voted for the .375 due to its versatility. From small, thin skinned animals such as Serval right up through Eland, you are never over or under gunned with a mix of premium softs and solids. Additionally, if one is wandering around in an area where lion, buffalo, etc are present I’m just more comfortable packing something with a bit more punch and penetration than the 6.5’s, 7’s, or .30’s. And if the hunt is for both DG and PG the .375 really shines.

30-06 for me. 5 trips now and I have taken everything from Warthog to Eland. My longest shot was 250 yrds. I have never felt under gunned with my CZ 550 American .165 grain Nosler Partitions or 180 grain Partitions. I have many guns but this is my rifle.
MarkCZ

Either a .338 WM with 225gr Swift AF or .375 H&H Mag with .270gr for me.

After reading these comments I am laughing. Anything will work for plains game but as a CHOICE caliber? NEVER would I chose a .375, .338, etc. lmao
Ha!
You spelled ALWAYS wrong. ;)

Lots of good choices out there.
Just like @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is never without a 243WIN.
Sorry Bob, you know my spelling isn’t the best, but I’m sure I got that one right. :LOL:

Ha!
You spelled ALWAYS wrong. ;)

Lots of good choices out there.
Just like @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is never without a 243WIN.
Sorry Bob, you know my spelling isn’t the best, but I’m sure I got that one right. :LOL:
@BeeMaa
If'n I owned a 243 mate I would only be to have it rebarreled to 358. Either get the key board fixed or type properly. I know you can spell because you get the 35 Whelen right in my handle. Must be key board problem.
Bob

You’re a magnet for abuse Bob!

I have only been on two safaris. If I had to choose only one gun to ever take it would be 375HH loaded with 300 gr Aframes. I love my CZ 550 and Remington 700 custom in that cartridge. Both have Leupold CDS scopes and shoot well out to 300 yards. With this combo it can be used from warthog to Cape buffalo.

The question is a little difficult as plains game covers many different size animals, different skin thickness and different body structures.
I think this gentlemen's post covers it nicely; for me small plans game 7x57 large-ish game 300 H&H, either with a good premium bullet; two classic cartridges well suited for the job IMHO.
regards
Pat
ps I vote for the 300 H&H

I choose the 308, no trouble with the first 60. Good 165 accubond in the right place and bang, run, flop, and pics. Now if/when Covid lets up, (better be before 19 June) I plan on testing a newly built 308 and same bullets again on this summers next 26. Will be taking the 375 for the non PG, the big kitty and croc.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg