Your new custom stock, ebony forend tip or not?

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I think this German traditional tip is a valid alternative, especially on a rifle with a short foreend.
View attachment 423703
My little 7X57 on a BRNO G33/40 action has taken all kinds of African plains game, up to and including wildebeest.
Schnabel forend (or Beak.)

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I think this German traditional tip is a valid alternative, especially on a rifle with a short foreend.
View attachment 423703
My little 7X57 on a BRNO G33/40 action has taken all kinds of African plains game, up to and including wildebeest.
It's Pretty, and a great cartridge but it's not a Winchester M70.
All things being equal this is what I struggle with.
I like the look but just the same a as putting a Butter Knife handle on a Winchester Model 70 it is a different look or style.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
It's Pretty, and a great cartridge but it's not a Winchester M70.
All things being equal this is what I struggle with.
I like the look but just the same a as putting a Butter Knife handle on a Winchester Model 70 it is a different look or style.
i recall some of the old M70 featherweights w/ 22" bbl having nice checkering w/ the fleur-de-lis and a schnabel forend from the factory. they were sweet. an old-timer had me dial in a .270 in same when i was a kid...'called his fam recently to inquire about the gun as he had passed-and they said he sold it long ago. :(

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Personally I'm not a big fan of the ebony tip/cap. Something in pewter, brass/bronze, or blued/color-cased steel to match the barrel/receiver would be my preference if I had to have one, but otherwise I'd go with either a plain tip or perhaps a schnabel.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I like the ebony tip but I cut mine at an angle.
IMG_6641.JPG

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I don't particularly like the forend tips. They look bad when they fall off and serve no purpose. I like the classic design with no Monte Carlo stocks.

andries 318 wr

AH member
Reaction score
Media
So just that? What is your liking or preference? I have multiple Winchester Super Grades and Custom Shop Super Grades that have both. And I love them all, I think they all look perfect! But I’m going to send in my 1950 M-70 375 H&H to be restocked in something beautiful...
I cannot decide if I should put a ebony forend tip on it or just let the wood stock speak for itself? I also cannot decide which way is better for this type of rifle?

What would you do?
It all depends on personal taste.
But If your blank have lots of detail in the forearm, I would go without the tip.

Vashper

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
All-army military hunting society, Russian Union of hunters and fishermen.
Hunted
Only Russia
I am just now engaged in the demobilization of a military German Mauser from Oberndorf, I bought a walnut stock, but it is without a tip. And I am tormented by two questions: whether to make a tip (after all, this is the fashion of the 70s), and if so, how to fix it?
I am determined to make, to mask the ledge on the barrel.

MS 9x56

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Schnabel forend (or Beak.)
While I still appreciate an ebony tip My favorite is a well done schnable. Has anyone ever done an ebony schnable tip? Actually my favorite tip is blued steel at the end of a Mannlicher stock.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
While I still appreciate an ebony tip My favorite is a well done schnable. Has anyone ever done an ebony schnable tip? Actually my favorite tip is blued steel at the end of a Mannlicher stock.
Yes I did an african blackwood (donkey dick)schnabel on a mannlicher stock for a Sako 75 for a guy a while back. Hated the schnabel shape he gave me pics of to copy but that was what he wanted so was what he got. A couple of pics before the barrel was shortened. Needless to say this is not my preference in schnabel shape.
Deans mannlicher.png

My sako schnable.png

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I actually now have a curiosity. The OP asks about ebony, and a lot of people use ebony, but I've also read that horn wasn't uncommon for them in the old days? I'm not so into the ebony ones but on an English-style rifle, horn would be more my speed I think. Does anyone still offer them these days?

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Shiloh Sharps offers an ebony schnable on their rifles as an option, as so:
1633027954282.png

Here's how it looks paired with a screw-on ebony pistol grip on one of their '74 Saddle Rifles:
1633028166121.png

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
A contrasting tip usually sets off a fine stock. I've seen them in a number of different woods and liked most of them. Buffalo horn looks very nice on a good chunk of walnut. My preference is cut at an angle, but straight cut works also. Combined with a schnable profile, a contrasting tip can really finish a great stock.
This is mesquite on a laminate stock. Angle cut with a spacer and schnable profile.
MVC-247F.JPG

MS 9x56

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
A contrasting tip usually sets off a fine stock. I've seen them in a number of different woods and liked most of them. Buffalo horn looks very nice on a good chunk of walnut. My preference is cut at an angle, but straight cut works also. Combined with a schnable profile, a contrasting tip can really finish a great stock.
This is mesquite on a laminate stock. Angle cut with a spacer and schnable profile.View attachment 428814
No w that looks nice. Never been a fan of laminated stocks but that is an example of how to do it right.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
The buffalo horn can look good on the Lee Speed styled stock as well. This one a 40 cal on the MLE action.
400 Lee Speed.png

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhtuanland

Latest profile posts

Rick HOlbert wrote on NTH's profile.
NTH, Just found your message. I hunt with Eland Pro Safaris in Namibia. Wide selection of game and great folks. Hell my PH and his family ARE adopted family, LOL! I book people to hunt with them and should you be interested I'd be happy to meet and discuss a trip. Anyway all the best to you and give me a shout sometime. Bye for now.
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg