Your favorite new production double rifle manufacturer?

cal pappas

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For doubles for me, it is only pre war doubles from the UK.
If I was to venture to a new production double, VC would win hands down as the best value combination of quality and price and reliability. I've shot them all--VC is top choice.
Cal

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
If money is on my side...which it might be if the market performs, a Jeffery underlever in 470NE will have my name on it. I'm not sure of the status of Jeffery rifles as they seem to be in a bit of a state of flux at the moment with some substantive changes in staff...but there are photos of an underlever floating around that is breathtaking.

That is my grail.

Failing that...I bet WR could build it...and may have actually built the one on the net with the WJJ name on it.

So...a WJJ if they are in the business or a WR if they are not.

If money is an issue, Heym rifles are perfectly functional and durable. No problems with a Heym.
they are in business. the name is owned by tom friedkin who has TGT safaris amongst other things. cant remember the name of the person who he has licensed to build them these days , but i have seen their stuff at sci and very nice. only thing is some of the photos he uses on the display are of my 9.4x74r double jeffery, but it was built by paul when he was using the name after he sorted the purchase of the jeffery name for tom friedkin. i mentioned it to the guy when i was on the stand and said you owe me some advertising money....but just got a funny look....:D

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Texas, New Jersey, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Colorado, South Dakota, Bahamas
Boss over under..best. period, Purdey close second

Ed Hawkins

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, USA
For doubles for me, it is only pre war doubles from the UK.
If I was to venture to a new production double, VC would win hands down as the best value combination of quality and price and reliability. I've shot them all--VC is top choice.
Cal
Have you had the chance to shot a Heym 89B?

jand

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
Hunted
South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
I have just returned from France. I visited VC again. There is just something about those VC's that the German doubles don't have. My opinion off course.

Reactions: IvW

BigBore

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.wholesalehunter.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Alaska and most of the USA
The new Sabatti's imported by IFG and sold by Wholesale Hunter are the best value double you can fine. I own 3 of them in .500 NE, 450/400 NE and 9.3X74R all regulate invincible well. I was hunting with Craig Boddington in Mozambique where I used my 450/400 3" NE to take a buffalo at 70 yards with one shot. Later in the hunt Craig asked me if he could borrow the rifle to shoot his 100th buffalo which he did. If Craig chose a Sabatti to shoot his historic 100th buffalo, that says a lot about his confidence in the gun. I use my 9.3X74R for deer hunting out to 200 yards with a scope. The gun is light and short making it easy to handle in a deer blind.

450/400

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Verney Carron. Extremely well made and balanced. Good value for money.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings