Your favorite hunting rifle of all time

I find the rifles that I enjoy the most are the ones that have memories in them- not necessarily involving me, but of previous owners, now long gone, but when holding the rifle it's almost as if they are back alive walking up the ridge or pushing through the grass. These include a M70 404 j built by P.O. Ackley and a 1910 John Rigby C model 470NE, both of which have made several trips to Africa.
How cool to have a rife built by PO Ackley! And a real Rigby! Please put up pictures, if you would.

Left-Handed Winchester Model 70 in 375H&H. Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6X42 Scope. Nothing else even comes close. My hunting days are over but I won't part with it, means to much and so many memories.

As a fellow lefty with 2x LH M70’s this sounds like a perfect set-up. Please post some pics.

Forrest, I've never actually measured it. It's whatever it is as it comes from the factory. I don't actually have a trigger scale. Guess I should get one. It doesn't feel overly light. I've never had a misfire with it loaded. But I've found if you close the lever with the safety off, it once in a while goes off. I heard somebody say one time the Nitro Express cartridges are too fat and you remove too much meat from the action. But I know J.D. Jones has built some pretty big caliber No. 1's. A .45-90 might be a good compromise. Should still be able to shoot .45-70's in it. I saw one guy that built one in .45-120 and it was fine for black powder but when he did smokeless, he had to pack wads/cornmeal/something in there to keep the powder against the primer. I guess when it lays flat and doesn't fill it up there's too much exposed powder surface area and you can light off too much and over pressure it. I know a gunsmith that helped me build my .375 and he's got every tool under the son. I watched him adjust my trigger with one of those scale....
So Jim the older #1's had three screws on the triggers. One of which was for sear engagement. My guess is that if this came to you pre-owned the previous owner turned the screws on this chasing a lighter trigger pull. Folks don't always do the relevant safety checks after trigger adjustments. A few big ones for me include cycling the action roughly, pulling the trigger with the safety on then flipping it off, and whacking the butt with a rubber mallet while cocked. The gun should maintain the same trigger pull and stay cocked through those tests. If it's dropping the hammer you've got a problem. If the trigger pull is getting lighter you're just short of a problem and headed toward one.

I know a couple of gunsmiths that have tools and can adjust things too and I still check their work. It's hard to call back an accidental discharge and they tend to do the most damage.

I think you would enjoy my Krieghoff Teck O/U dpuble rifle with barrel wsets in .458 WM and .375 H&H Magnum, plus shot barrels in 20 gauge 3" Magnum. I took it on all my African hunts and it accounted for elephant, buffalo, lion and leopard., plus plains game such as eland and greated kudu.

View attachment 519771

View attachment 519772
You are correct, I would love it.

How cool to have a rife built by PO Ackley! And a real Rigby! Please put up pictures, if you would.

DSC_2642 (2).JPG
DSC_2643 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So Jim the older #1's had three screws on the triggers. One of which was for sear engagement. My guess is that if this came to you pre-owned the previous owner turned the screws on this chasing a lighter trigger pull. Folks don't always do the relevant safety checks after trigger adjustments. A few big ones for me include cycling the action roughly, pulling the trigger with the safety on then flipping it off, and whacking the butt with a rubber mallet while cocked. The gun should maintain the same trigger pull and stay cocked through those tests. If it's dropping the hammer you've got a problem. If the trigger pull is getting lighter you're just short of a problem and headed toward one.

I know a couple of gunsmiths that have tools and can adjust things too and I still check their work. It's hard to call back an accidental discharge and they tend to do the most damage.
Hi Forrest,

I just went back and checked. Mine has two screws in the trigger. I'd never noticed them before. I bought it new sometime in the late 90's to early 2000's. I've only shot it maybe 50-60 times. Once it started doing this I got a bit concerned and stopped. I called Ruger and they said send it to them right away! I guess I should have, but had this silly fear of it getting lost in the mail or stolen or something and never did. So it's just sat on my wall for about twenty years. I should take it to the 'smith or call Ruger back and get it fixed. I like your checking style. That's a good idea. Thanks!

Original Rigby single square bridge .416 Rigby.

I love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery but I have to say my favorite is the Rem BDL in 270 I bought many years ago and gave to my son 5 years ago. Killed many elk, deer, bears, guided with it in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I see it and the memories come back of the beautiful and exciting hunts I had with it. Never failed me, almost all one shot kills never lost an animal. It's nice seeing my son hunt with it.

It's the rifle on the bottom. Top rifle is my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby, weighs 7.5 lbs unloaded with scope. An of course my 500 Jeffery on the bottom picture.

7ymIhyM.jpg
BD0shRU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a lefty in Africa you generally need to go the custom route.

I love my 338 Sabi built on a left handed Montana Action, by Magnum Arms in Nelspruit. An uncommon calibre which has served me well for many years.

I have just taken delivery of a 404 Jeffery also on a left handed Montana Action, by Magnum Arms in Nelspruit. I can't wait to shoot it.

Last edited:
I love my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery but I have to say my favorite is the Rem BDL in 270 I bought many years ago and gave to my son 5 years ago. Killed many elk, deer, bears, guided with it in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I see it and the memories come back of the beautiful and exciting hunts I had with it. Never failed me, almost all one shot kills never lost an animal. It's nice seeing my son hunt with it.

It's the rifle on the bottom. Top rifle is my Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby, weighs 7.5 lbs unloaded with scope. An of course my 500 Jeffery on the bottom picture.

7ymIhyM.jpg

BD0shRU.jpg
Beautiful wood on the Jeffrey. Is that an aftermarket stock?

Thanks! No, actually it was originally a 375 H&H I bought from the CZ Custom shop for $1100 (it came with a barrel band mercury recoil reducer.. I then added the CZ #1 Upgrade from Wayne at AHR and another $500 for Harlan at Triple river to rebarrel/rechamber it to 500 Jeffery.

Thanks! No, actually it was originally a 375 H&H I bought from the CZ Custom shop for $1100 (it came with a barrel band mercury recoil reducer.. I then added the CZ #1 Upgrade from Wayne at AHR and another $500 for Harlan at Triple river to rebarrel/rechamber it to 500 Jeffery.
Great choices all. Never shot a 500 Jeffrey. How does it compare to a 470 NE which I have shot?

My favorite is still a Winchester 94 in .30-30. I have a scoped .30-06 and a .375 H&H, both of which will take game I could not take with the .30-30, but the old Winchester is still the go-to rifle in my truck when confronted with hogs, coyotes or other pests. The rifle also has some sentimental value as it was a Christmas present from my stepfather that I received after he had died.
I love the 30-30. Both of mine are Marlins, but I understand your love of the Winchester. I do have a Winchester lever in 44magnum though. Really nifty with my 44mag Super Blackhawk revolver. Anyhow, 30-30 is practical cartridge for short range. I still end up grabbing it most of the time for any brush work.

I hear somewhere that @Forrest Halley has just updated his 300 black out to a better version as he was getting tired of missing those little critters. Hopefully his new set up will help his aiming issues.
The seller sent ne a picture of Forrests new rifle but asked me to keep it under wraps but I don't think he will mind.
Bob
View attachment 518725
Dang .

I love the 30-30. Both of mine are Marlins, but I understand your love of the Winchester. I do have a Winchester lever in 44magnum though. Really nifty with my 44mag Super Blackhawk revolver. Anyhow, 30-30 is practical cartridge for short range. I still end up grabbing it most of the time for any brush work.
A couple of years ago I sold off my ARs and decided I was content to face the end of the word with my .30-30. My nephew spotted when I told him that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg