Your Favorite African Animal

Agree with others - really good question. My favorite animal on the continent to hunt is the cape buffalo. As long as I am able, I will hunt buffalo. A close second is the eland if hunted traditionally by walking him down. My favorite to see in the wild is the sable. I am not talking about a fenced bull, but one of those free range black Knights in Moz or Zim. Nothing quite like seeing one tending his herd in first or last light - or perhaps in the equatorial coastal mist.

glad you asked as i was thinking about it, but was worried where the tattoo might be..........:ROFLMAO:

Yikes!!!! Great point. ... this is a family forum after all ! :)

Settle down gentlemen, its on my arm!!o_O
But for the sake of not exposing any skin, I have attached a picture of it on paper. I designed it myself and originally wanted it as the logo to my Outfitters business one day, but seeing as I don't have Buffalo or Sable, i thought it may be a bit misleading.:(

24022014.jpg

Hi Mike, your logo is truly unique and very impressive!

Sorry for the dumb question...the Sable at your lodge, is that the original cape for the animal hunted in 1990?

Regards

hi justin the photo of the shoulder mount is at my home in jersey, and yes its the original cape from 1990 just a bit sun lightened as is my leopard mount which is not far off white now. if you click on the link to keris website you can see the original charcoal and pencil drawning . i also have 2 of the paintings shown on there and 5 of the drawings, she was very very good, and people when they look at the drawings in my house often think they are black and white photo prints, they are that detailed.

Thanks Mike, Time and weather really takes its toll on trophies.

I had a look at her website. She was definitely very talented and some of her work could easily be mistaken for B/W photos, You are very fortunate to have a part of that.

Regards

1. Of all the species found in Africa, what would be your most favorite of all? Warthog
2. Why would you say so? personality and looks!
3. Have you ever hunter that species? (short story) not yet
4. Pictures if available? soon to come

the above could change after a couple trips to Africa but Warthog's are an animal ive been interested in since I was young.

-matt

Most Favorite animal: Kudu; Why? the horns, the looks, the price to hunt them, very similar to hunting elk in the USA (just a hell of a lot cheaper in Africa). My dream animal was sable and leopard; I have a sable but no leopard yet.

Settle down gentlemen, its on my arm!!o_O
But for the sake of not exposing any skin, I have attached a picture of it on paper. I designed it myself and originally wanted it as the logo to my Outfitters business one day, but seeing as I don't have Buffalo or Sable, i thought it may be a bit misleading.:(

View attachment 35415

That's really well done! Beats the heck out of some barb wire that a million other pexplo out on their arm!

Most Favorite animal: Kudu; Why? the horns, the looks, the price to hunt them, very similar to hunting elk in the USA (just a hell of a lot cheaper in Africa). My dream animal was sable and leopard; I have a sable but no leopard yet.
I couldnt agree more with that. You have no clue how long I have wanted to touch my very own Kudu horns after the hunt. I have actually dreamed about doing so.
With that said, I am going to cop out on this one and say the elephant and the lion. Why? mainly because I love both of these animals. The lion is so regal in its environment (if you have a house cat then you know what i mean) and the elephant is well, an elephant. Plus, as a huge fan of Ernest Hemingway, a safari would not be complete without hunting an elephant and a lion.
On the other hand, I am pretty greedy and sort of just want to hunt everything. The zebra and oryx are classic plains game and would make beautiful trophies. I also want to hunt blue wildebeest just because of their reputation for being very hard to kill.
To summarize my post, I want to hunt every african species because they are all my favorite. Plus, i can't do a diorama trophy room without hunting everything ;)

I will preface my comments by saying I am making my first hunt on the continent of Africa this May.

I decided my favorite by asking myself "which animal have you dreamed/schemed the most about hunting"?

No question, Cape Buffalo. The "hair pudding" stories read in my youth started my fascination with these peculiar beasts.

I hope to make a second hunting trip to Africa. That second trip will have the Cape Buffalo as the primary focus.

It will be interesting to see if experience changes my mind!

Tim

To summarize my post, I want to hunt every african species because they are all my favorite. Plus, i can't do a diorama trophy room without hunting everything ;)

well saul you cant start your diorama trophy room without venturing to africa, so dont leave it too long ;):D

I will never turn down anything pig-like, warthog will always be a favourite for me!

They are fun to hunt, have alot of personality and taste oh so nice.

Have I hunted them? Yes, and I don't think I will ever go to africa without shooting another one.
IMG_126361631999488.jpeg
IMG_126255814505362.jpeg
IMG_126318675027473.jpeg

I will never turn down anything pig-like, warthog will always be a favourite for me!

They are fun to hunt, have alot of personality and taste oh so nice.

Have I hunted them? Yes, and I don't think I will ever go to africa without shooting another one.
Not a fan of pork (I wonder why ;)) but I wouldnt turn down shooting a warthog if I had the chance.

DSC_0110.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
Good question and some interesting responses. For me I guess right now I would have to choose the Cape Buffalo, and right on his heals is the Eland. I have never hunted either but will hunt Eland later this year, still have to get back for a Buffalo. Also I can't leave out my other two favorites, the Waterbuck and Kudu. Sorry I can't choose just one. Was able to hunt both of these in 2011 and it was the most fun I have ever had thus far hunting. View attachment 35454

I would have said Kudu if I had not taken this mean bovine!
image.jpg

BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!

I never feel as alive as when hunting BUFFALO! Hunting in herds and tracking Dagga boys, man it's exciting!

SA-20011061-1.jpg

Attachments

• SA-20011061-1.jpg
    SA-20011061-1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 119
Nice looking buff JTEX. Where did you take him?

There are some really good pictures posted, thanks guys and please keep them coming.

Thank you CA. It was killed at Mthimkulu in South Africa, some of the best Buff to be found there, those Kruger gentetics are outstanding.

Kudu … hunted in heavy cover

The whole mystique of the “grey ghost” … which is only magnified by hunting in heavy cover. The picture below was taken one evening while we were looking for bushbuck in the bottom of this ravine. We glassed the hill for 30 minutes and counted at least 15 kudu, moving into and out of view about 200 yards away. How could an animal that size disappear while I was looking at him through binoculars? And how could they walk out of frame in bush that thick and not make a noise? It was almost a religious experience.

upload_2015-1-15_17-12-12.png

I hunted two kudu while hunting with Blaauwkrantz safaris on the Eastern cape (the entire hunting report can be found here - http://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-blaauwkrantz-safaris-the-best-kudu-hunting-in-the-world.16423/#post-130939) but here are pics of both bulls. It was truly a life-changing experience. Perfect combination of animal, terrain, vegetation, and hunter expectation/skill. I don’t think I will ever go to Africa and not hunt kudu and bushbuck and I would certainly be happy if that was all I ever hunted as long as it was several more times.

upload_2015-1-15_17-11-13.png

Kudu # 1 with me, Jumbo (our tracker), my daughter, and Eric (our PH)
upload_2015-1-15_17-13-36.png

Kudu # 2 with just me, so he will look a little bigger :)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg