Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, USA (MN, SD, ND, TX)
Hello Everyone,
My name is Reed Thoma and I am from Minnesota, USA. I joined AH this January and made a couple posts and realized I never introduced myself. I am 19 years old and have been hunting my entire life. I currently hunt Whitetail deer, waterfowl, upland game, turkey, and many species of small game. I have always wanted to go to Africa to hunt and since joining AH I have made a list of places and animals to hunt that's about a mile long. I decided I am going to start saving up money now and am looking at a ocellated turkey/curassow/guan hunt or a muskox/reindeer hunt as my first international hunt. I am also looking into hunting black bear, mule deer, and elk in the US within the near future. I have also begun to try out my own taxidermy and have done a pheasant so far, but come fall I am hoping to try out mounting ducks, geese, pheasants, and possibly a deer. So now that I introduced myself, I'd love to get to know everyone!

Welcome! This will be a good place to get information and expand on your planning. An Africa trip is easier to make happen that you think.

I’m in Minnesota as well. The snow just melted off the archery range, so our bow practice for turkey season has begun in earnest.

Welcome! This will be a good place to get information and expand on your planning. An Africa trip is easier to make happen that you think.

I’m in Minnesota as well. The snow just melted off the archery range, so our bow practice for turkey season has begun in earnest.
I plan on hunting turkey with a shotgun this year but will be hunting seasons E and F because I am in college right now.

Good plan. School first, you will have more time to hunt in years to come. I used to hike into the mountains in Montana on Friday after school to elk/deer hunt for the weekend.

The archery season is wonderfully long. Do you hunt with a bow? It is not difficult to get in to and you can extend your season significantly for both turkey (45 days approx) and deer (over 100 days!). All the skills a person learns bow hunting can transfer over to rifle season. It helped me significantly when stalking game in Africa.

@Tra3 I have a bow and have gone turkey hunting with it before, but no success. I may go archery but I haven’t practiced in awhile and don’t know if I will get enough practice in before I try and hunt. It may happen this spring but for sure by the fall I will be dialed and will try both deer and turkey with a bow.

Hello Reed Thoma Outdoors,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello Everyone,
My name is Reed Thoma and I am from Minnesota, USA. I joined AH this January and made a couple posts and realized I never introduced myself. I am 19 years old and have been hunting my entire life. I currently hunt Whitetail deer, waterfowl, upland game, turkey, and many species of small game. I have always wanted to go to Africa to hunt and since joining AH I have made a list of places and animals to hunt that's about a mile long. I decided I am going to start saving up money now and am looking at a ocellated turkey/curassow/guan hunt or a muskox/reindeer hunt as my first international hunt. I am also looking into hunting black bear, mule deer, and elk in the US within the near future. I have also begun to try out my own taxidermy and have done a pheasant so far, but come fall I am hoping to try out mounting ducks, geese, pheasants, and possibly a deer. So now that I introduced myself, I'd love to get to know everyone!
Thanks for introducing yourself. Dream big young man and great things can happen.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum.
You have great goals. My only advice is, I don't know how you are financially but don't plan so huge you have to wait forever for the first run.
There are many international hunts that cost a fraction of the big one and are still really good.

Welcome to the AH community. I too started hunting at an early age like you, and dreamed of Africa. My dream came true many times over, but it all started with a dream. Plan your first trip for a few species you really want, and get over there when finances allow. Once Mother Africa gets her paws on you, you will understand what some of the veteran hunters on here are talking about, and you can then make plans to return many times over. Best of luck!

Welcome young man! AH is a great forum for all your hunting, firearms and ammo questions. Tap into the brains of the many experts here with their vast knowledge and experience. Have fun and enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois