Young hunter from Minnesota

Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Texas
Hello Everyone,
My name is Reed Thoma and I am from Minnesota, USA. I joined AH this January and made a couple posts and realized I never introduced myself. I am 19 years old and have been hunting my entire life. I currently hunt Whitetail deer, waterfowl, upland game, turkey, and many species of small game. I have always wanted to go to Africa to hunt and since joining AH I have made a list of places and animals to hunt that's about a mile long. I decided I am going to start saving up money now and am looking at a ocellated turkey/curassow/guan hunt or a muskox/reindeer hunt as my first international hunt. I am also looking into hunting black bear, mule deer, and elk in the US within the near future. I have also begun to try out my own taxidermy and have done a pheasant so far, but come fall I am hoping to try out mounting ducks, geese, pheasants, and possibly a deer. So now that I introduced myself, I'd love to get to know everyone!

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Welcome! This will be a good place to get information and expand on your planning. An Africa trip is easier to make happen that you think.

I’m in Minnesota as well. The snow just melted off the archery range, so our bow practice for turkey season has begun in earnest.

Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
Welcome! This will be a good place to get information and expand on your planning. An Africa trip is easier to make happen that you think.

I’m in Minnesota as well. The snow just melted off the archery range, so our bow practice for turkey season has begun in earnest.
I plan on hunting turkey with a shotgun this year but will be hunting seasons E and F because I am in college right now.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
Good plan. School first, you will have more time to hunt in years to come. I used to hike into the mountains in Montana on Friday after school to elk/deer hunt for the weekend.

The archery season is wonderfully long. Do you hunt with a bow? It is not difficult to get in to and you can extend your season significantly for both turkey (45 days approx) and deer (over 100 days!). All the skills a person learns bow hunting can transfer over to rifle season. It helped me significantly when stalking game in Africa.

Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
@Tra3 I have a bow and have gone turkey hunting with it before, but no success. I may go archery but I haven’t practiced in awhile and don’t know if I will get enough practice in before I try and hunt. It may happen this spring but for sure by the fall I will be dialed and will try both deer and turkey with a bow.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello Reed Thoma Outdoors,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Spear Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.spearsafaris.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI life member, PHASA life member
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Hello Everyone,
My name is Reed Thoma and I am from Minnesota, USA. I joined AH this January and made a couple posts and realized I never introduced myself. I am 19 years old and have been hunting my entire life. I currently hunt Whitetail deer, waterfowl, upland game, turkey, and many species of small game. I have always wanted to go to Africa to hunt and since joining AH I have made a list of places and animals to hunt that's about a mile long. I decided I am going to start saving up money now and am looking at a ocellated turkey/curassow/guan hunt or a muskox/reindeer hunt as my first international hunt. I am also looking into hunting black bear, mule deer, and elk in the US within the near future. I have also begun to try out my own taxidermy and have done a pheasant so far, but come fall I am hoping to try out mounting ducks, geese, pheasants, and possibly a deer. So now that I introduced myself, I'd love to get to know everyone!
Thanks for introducing yourself. Dream big young man and great things can happen.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Welcome aboard!

deepwater

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Welcome. Best of luck on your future hunting adventures. May they be safe and full of enjoyable experiences.

Wade J VanGinkel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Welcome to the forum.
You have great goals. My only advice is, I don't know how you are financially but don't plan so huge you have to wait forever for the first run.
There are many international hunts that cost a fraction of the big one and are still really good.

DRIES VISSER SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2021
AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
driesvissersafaris.com
Media
Member of
Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), Safari Club International, DSC, HSCF,
Hunted
South-Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique
welcome!

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
Welcome to the AH community. I too started hunting at an early age like you, and dreamed of Africa. My dream came true many times over, but it all started with a dream. Plan your first trip for a few species you really want, and get over there when finances allow. Once Mother Africa gets her paws on you, you will understand what some of the veteran hunters on here are talking about, and you can then make plans to return many times over. Best of luck!

CoElkHunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Welcome young man! AH is a great forum for all your hunting, firearms and ammo questions. Tap into the brains of the many experts here with their vast knowledge and experience. Have fun and enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfolan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?