You be the Judge! Caliber Question

Simple and agricultural grade, Bob. Just like your good, honest, self ;)

(I can't talk, I have a 12g Mossberg 535....)
@Scrumbag
Scrummy all you need now then is a Whelen. Problems are gone. Never professex to be a brain box, simple and agricultural does me just fine. Simple problems simple solutions. Complex problems simple solutions if you think about them logically.
Bob

Well because draw results are in, and it's a slow Friday, it seems like a good idea to pick the memberships brain for some fun.

This season I have drawn the following tags (a grand slam as far as I'm concerned):
-Antlered Moose
-Antlered Elk
-Antlered Mule Deer
-A Special Whitetail draw
-Merriams Turkey

The moose/elk/mule deer are all in the same zone, or at least adjacent zones where I grew up, id say 80/20% mix of field/bush, and shots wouldn't be over 300 yards. I'd love hear what you guys suggest I take out with me for a rifle. And please don't let common sense cloud your judgement!

-Weatherby Vanguard 270-This was the first rifle I bought. I have plenty of 130gr TTSX's loaded up.

-Sporter Mauser 7x75-The only ammo around for this is Cor-Loc’s

-2x Brno 30-06- I have Leupold VX-R 3x9's on top. I have 165 or 180gr Barnes Ammo for them.

-FN 300H&H- I'd love to put a Meopta 1.7-10 on this rifle, but new guns seem to take precedence, and could throw one of the VX-R's on it. I have some TTSX's (180gr I believe) loaded up to start finding one that works.

-Mauser Actioned 8x68s- I'm getting the safety swapped out so I can mount a scope with the existing EAW mounts. I have two boxes of 200gr A-Frames loaded from Norma. I also have 175gr CEB Raptors that I am really interested in testing, but would need to get some dies.

-CZ550 375- This one took my last moose four years ago with 250gr TTSX's.

-Ruger No1 450/400- I wasn't expecting to get drawn for moose this year, and was hoping to have time to play with cast bullets in this rifle. I'd think that would make a fun moose gun. That being said I do have 400gr Hornadys, but I believe they are solids.

-The one rifle that I really would love to use is my Ross M-10 in 280, but I'm waiting on brass for it, and also to get it to a good gunsmith so we can come up with a means of mounting and optic. Maybe it will be ready to go next fall.
I'd go with the .30-06. there's just not a better all around caliber for. Mixed bag big game hunt. It just gets it done!
Anyway, let's have some fun and hear some opinions!

I’m leaning towards the 8x68 or the 300H&H.

I’m leaning towards the 8x68 or the 300H&H.
One of each would be even better. ;)

8x68S would be perfect for all Bear species (except possibly Polar Bear) along with Eland and larger antelopes. Not to mention all the animals from your original list, 5 pages ago.

In reality...the 300H&H will cover your entire wish list with a proper bullet and shot placement. Less powder, less recoil and more bullet selection. Not sure about ammo availability, but even that can be mitigated to some extent.

Just to throw a wrench in the works...upsize the 8mm to a 375H&H to go with the 300H&H. That would be an amazing pair of rifles. Plus you would be legal everywhere for DG with a 375. I foresee lots of different rifles in your future. Best of luck making room in the safe.

8x68S would be perfect for all Bear species (except possibly Polar Bear) along with Eland and larger antelopes. Not to mention all the animals from your original list, 5 pages ago.

In reality...the 300H&H will cover your entire wish list with a proper bullet and shot placement. Less powder, less recoil and more bullet selection. Not sure about ammo availability, but even that can be mitigated to some extent.

Just to throw a wrench in the works...upsize the 8mm to a 375H&H to go with the 300H&H. That would be an amazing pair of rifles. Plus you would be legal everywhere for DG with a 375. I foresee lots of different rifles in your future. Best of luck making room in the safe.
@BeeMaa
Mate I am very disappointed in you suggesting that man buy a lot of rifles in the future.
Have you forgotten about your beloved R8 and all the possibilities you can have with all those different barrels and bolt heads on the ONE rifle. Just imagine him having to choose a rifle for a safari with a lot to choose from.
Instead he could take ONE R8 and THIRTY SIX BARRELS as well as 3 boltheads and shoot the world over with one gun case.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - Don't be scaring him off like that you bloddy Dag. Need to leave some bait on the hook for future enabling.

LOL. No worries mate. Plenty of time for Blaser R8 discussion later. ;)

@BeeMaa
Mate I am very disappointed in you suggesting that man buy a lot of rifles in the future.
Have you forgotten about your beloved R8 and all the possibilities you can have with all those different barrels and bolt heads on the ONE rifle. Just imagine him having to choose a rifle for a safari with a lot to choose from.
Instead he could take ONE R8 and THIRTY SIX BARRELS as well as 3 boltheads and shoot the world over with one gun case.
Bob to try and sooth your angst about the Blaser R8, my pairing would be the .375H&H and the 8x68s or 8x57. I have those in the Blaser R8 and they would be my preference. Unfortunately for '@Aaron N’, and others I think, Blaser does not offer the .300H&H, a classic caliber. But he should not consider it a loss, the loss is Blaser’s in my mind.

Nothing against the Classic Mauser Action or any other Controlled Round Feed or Push Feed action, I too like them equally as much. Blaser is not perfect, in my opinion, their 30 cal’s are manufactured in 1:11 twist. I am of the opinion that the 1:11 twist rate limits the use of mono solid bullets you can use. But Blaser R8’s is still an extremely good rifle system. It is unfortunate Blasers are as expensive as they are thus limiting its market.

As you may know I am a fan of the 8mm, as much as you are with the .35 caliber. All calibers are good. While the .35 caliber’s may not be as popular as some others, neither is the 8mm, they are still a very good caliber.

The good thing is that all of these rifles are already in the safe! Maybe I’ll rotate through every trip out and enjoy them all?

Bob to try and sooth your angst about the Blaser R8, my pairing would be the .375H&H and the 8x68s or 8x57. I have those in the Blaser R8 and they would be my preference. Unfortunately for '@Aaron N’, and others I think, Blaser does not offer the .300H&H, a classic caliber. But he should not consider it a loss, the loss is Blaser’s in my mind.

Nothing against the Classic Mauser Action or any other Controlled Round Feed or Push Feed action, I too like them equally as much. Blaser is not perfect, in my opinion, their 30 cal’s are manufactured in 1:11 twist. I am of the opinion that the 1:11 twist rate limits the use of mono solid bullets you can use. But Blaser R8’s is still an extremely good rifle system. It is unfortunate Blasers are as expensive as they are thus limiting its market.

As you may know I am a fan of the 8mm, as much as you are with the .35 caliber. All calibers are good. While the .35 caliber’s may not be as popular as some others, neither is the 8mm, they are still a very good caliber.
@dchamp
Nothing wrong with with a good 8mm. Even the 325WSM is very underrated. Some people just don't understand class like we do.
Bob

Except the 243! Unless you are using it for gophers and bunny’s. Then it too is a good caliber though not suited to big game:ROFLMAO:

Except the 243! Unless you are using it for gophers and bunny’s. Then it too is a good caliber though not suited to big game:ROFLMAO:
@MS 9x56
The 243 is only good if you want to become the but of every joke in a hunting camp I'm in. Apart from that stick with punching paper with one.

Well because draw results are in, and it's a slow Friday, it seems like a good idea to pick the memberships brain for some fun.

This season I have drawn the following tags (a grand slam as far as I'm concerned):
-Antlered Moose
-Antlered Elk
-Antlered Mule Deer
-A Special Whitetail draw
-Merriams Turkey

The moose/elk/mule deer are all in the same zone, or at least adjacent zones where I grew up, id say 80/20% mix of field/bush, and shots wouldn't be over 300 yards. I'd love hear what you guys suggest I take out with me for a rifle. And please don't let common sense cloud your judgement!

-Weatherby Vanguard 270-This was the first rifle I bought. I have plenty of 130gr TTSX's loaded up.

-Sporter Mauser 7x75-The only ammo around for this is Cor-Loc’s

-2x Brno 30-06- I have Leupold VX-R 3x9's on top. I have 165 or 180gr Barnes Ammo for them.

-FN 300H&H- I'd love to put a Meopta 1.7-10 on this rifle, but new guns seem to take precedence, and could throw one of the VX-R's on it. I have some TTSX's (180gr I believe) loaded up to start finding one that works.

-Mauser Actioned 8x68s- I'm getting the safety swapped out so I can mount a scope with the existing EAW mounts. I have two boxes of 200gr A-Frames loaded from Norma. I also have 175gr CEB Raptors that I am really interested in testing, but would need to get some dies.

-CZ550 375- This one took my last moose four years ago with 250gr TTSX's.

-Ruger No1 450/400- I wasn't expecting to get drawn for moose this year, and was hoping to have time to play with cast bullets in this rifle. I'd think that would make a fun moose gun. That being said I do have 400gr Hornadys, but I believe they are solids.

-The one rifle that I really would love to use is my Ross M-10 in 280, but I'm waiting on brass for it, and also to get it to a good gunsmith so we can come up with a means of mounting and optic. Maybe it will be ready to go next fall.

Anyway, let's have some fun and hear some opinions!
If it were.me, I would go with the .300 H&H and 180 grains. I would also take a .30-06 with 165 grs. My one experience with loading mono metal bullets was a serious disapointment, so I would swap those out for Nosler AccuBonds.

If it were.me, I would go with the .300 H&H and 180 grains. I would also take a .30-06 with 165 grs. My one experience with loading mono metal bullets was a serious disapointment, so I would swap those out for Nosler AccuBonds.
The 300 was shooting 3/4" groups with 165(?) grain Speers. I'm hoping to have a minor trigger issue fixed in the next day or two, and see what it will do with 180gr TTSX.

Unless I can get the mag box on the 8x68 machined out in a timely manner, it looks like the H&H is the winner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross