YES/NO *** Ruger RSM Confusion or Question

275r7x57

AH veteran
Reaction score
Here is a link to a Gunbroker ad. Please look at pictures 3 and 4. The serial number prefix is “M134”.

Confusion or question, I was not aware of such a prefix for the Ruger RSM? I was under the impression that “780” was the earlier versions and “750” was the later ones.

The Ruger Express was only “730”.

Please set me straight.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.26 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.28 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.20.30 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
You are correct. I currently own 2 RSMs and one Express and have owned many others in the past, and have never seen a serial number prefix such as this.
@ActionBob what say you?

You should buy it, let us know how it shoots, and then take it to Africa buffalo hunting and make a "Hunt Report'

That is very strange. You should call Ruger about it. Especially the M being on the prefix. Could it be a special model, experimental. Prototype? Something done to it?

It almost looks like the gun was messed with where the barrel meets the reciever doesn't it? Look closely at the edge of the barrel where it meets the reciever.

It's a deal if it is something special. Or a rip off if messed with after leaving the factory.

From photo 3, it's hard to read the serial number. Photo 4 clearly shows part of it: M 134-16xxx?

Ruger has an online serial number lookup: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

It appears you don't use the "M" when typing in a serial number. I tried a few variations on what the number looks like in photo 3, something like 134-16399 and this is what shows up

1676125514798.png

I was looking at this same rifle this week. I too noticed that where the barrel and action are attached looks strange. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but hard to tell. Could just be some dried oil from being stored a long time.

It almost looks like the gun was messed with where the barrel meets the reciever doesn't it? Look closely at the edge of the barrel where it meets the reciever.

This is the gun I started a thread on a few weeks ago.

I can't say for certain what it's from but that discoloration wipes off. Well, at least it did around the barrel band when I handled the gun. I would suspect it may be from how or what product was used to clean the gun as it looked the same around the front sight, barrel band and barrel/receiver joint.

20221229_110200.jpg

From the Ruger website:

For details on your specific serial number you may contact our Service Department: 336-949-5200

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.21.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 7.21.57 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
That is very strange. You should call Ruger about it. Especially the M being on the prefix. Could it be a special model, experimental. Prototype? Something done to it?

It's a deal if it is something special. Or a rip off if messed with after leaving the factory.
Unless I am wrong I have never seen a m77 with any letter prefix.

I also noticed the discoloration at the barrel and the action.

If you look close at the barrel band and front sight you can see the same issue. Not sure if this is grease or soldering or something else.

This is the gun I started a thread on a few weeks ago.

I can't say for certain what it's from but that discoloration wipes off. Well, at least it did around the barrel band when I handled the gun. I would suspect it may be from how or what product was used to clean the gun as it looked the same around the front sight, barrel band and barrel/receiver joint.

View attachment 516693
Is this your rifle?
If so what’s the history on it?
What is the issue with the serial number?

As @375 Ruger Fan posted above the serial number on the rifle and what you show don’t match up. According to Ruger’s website the serial number goes to a No. 1 not a RSM.

Not sure where the “M” comes into play or not.

Thanks

From photo 3, it's hard to read the serial number. Photo 4 clearly shows part of it: M 134-16xxx?

Ruger has an online serial number lookup: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

It appears you don't use the "M" when typing in a serial number. I tried a few variations on what the number looks like in photo 3, something like 134-16399 and this is what shows up

View attachment 516690
Thank you for the info. I am interested to see where this leads.

From the Ruger website:

For details on your specific serial number you may contact our Service Department: 336-949-5200
I will try and contact Ruger next week. I will let you guys know what’s said.

On a side note about two weeks ago on Gunbroker there was a Ruger No. 1 listed as a 450 Nitro Express 3-1/4”. The description said it was a factory production rifle not a re-barrel. The barrel did not look correct and the caliber roll mark was not a roll mark. More like a laser engraved over the roll mark.

Needless to say I ran the serial number on the action and it came back as a 458 Winchester Magnum.

A lot of people have no idea what they are selling and there is a lot of crap out there.

Be wise and be informed!

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!