Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
SCI Applauds Long-Overdue Yellowstone Grizzly Delisting

Safari Club International celebrates with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and hunter-conservationists throughout the country the impending delisting of grizzly bears. The removal of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE) population of grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis) from the federal threatened species list means that management of this recovered population of bears will finally return to the state agencies who have worked diligently with stakeholders to conserve the population. The GYE population consists of portions of northwestern Wyoming, southwestern Montana and eastern Idaho. Biologists estimate that approximately 700 bears now live in that area.

SCI has long been involved in the grizzly bear delisting saga. The Service first listed the grizzly bears in the lower 48 states as threatened back in 1973. In 2007, the Service delisted the GYE population and were soon after sued in federal court. SCI joined the suit as an intervenor to defend the delisting. After the district court invalidated the delisting, SCI, along with the other defendants, appealed the ruling. The appellate court affirmed only part of the ruling but the grizzly remained on the threatened species list. Although the Service predicted that it would be able to delist the bears again in 2013, the Service did not propose to remove the GYE population of bears from federal ESA protection until March of 2016. SCI filed two sets of comments in support of the proposed delisting.

The Service will publish a final delist rule in the next few days and the delisting will go into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register. Despite decades of recovery efforts, extensive scientific research, and demonstrated recovery, the battle over GYE grizzlies is far from over. At least one anti-hunting group has already stated that they will sue to reverse the delisting. If that happens, SCI is very likely to join that litigation and once again defend the delisting and sustainable use management of the bear.

@Steve Scott put up a great article he wrote on FB today on this subject. Hopefully he will post it here.

There seems to be a larger point here - is the tide turning and the influence of the new administration beginning to assert itself?

Yes I read that article as well, good read!

I would bet the bear numbers are far greater than 700! I saw four different griz last year while I was home for vacation. Much like the wolf population claims. It will be nice to apply for griz again in the lower 48! Great news and it will put an end to the tribunal that a defensive shooting puts a guy through.

@Steve Scott put up a great article he wrote on FB today on this subject. Hopefully he will post it here.

There seems to be a larger point here - is the tide turning and the influence of the new administration beginning to assert itself?

Hope you are right! Some common sense might prevail.

So will hunting reserves be set up on Yellowstone? I assume this will mean bears, being a sought-after trophy, will be encouraged to breed in these hunting grounds thus increasing the population.

So will hunting reserves be set up on Yellowstone? I assume this will mean bears, being a sought-after trophy, will be encouraged to breed in these hunting grounds thus increasing the population.
No hunting will be allowed in Yellowstone National Park, only outside of the park.

I spent 2 seasons working at a guest ranch on the North side of Hebgen lake, as welk as some guide work in the Lee Metcalf wilderness. I can say with conviction, that there is considerable Grizz activity in those areas outside the park.

This shows the dishonesty of the whole ESA. 700 bears are not endangered, threatened, or otherwise! This should have been done long ago.

This shows the dishonesty of the whole ESA. 700 bears are not endangered, threatened, or otherwise! This should have been done long ago.
+1

So what are some of the areas that one can expect to hunt bears in?

I would hope throughout the corridor, Tetons and Targee in ID and WY, through the gravely range and the bitterroot in Mt. I remember when we used to be able to put in for a griz tag in MT, never drew one but at least there was a shot at a tag for a kid with no money to hope to hunt a griz. We will see if the antis get an injunction like they did on the damn wolves for so long after delisting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber