Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
SCI Applauds Long-Overdue Yellowstone Grizzly Delisting

Safari Club International celebrates with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and hunter-conservationists throughout the country the impending delisting of grizzly bears. The removal of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE) population of grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis) from the federal threatened species list means that management of this recovered population of bears will finally return to the state agencies who have worked diligently with stakeholders to conserve the population. The GYE population consists of portions of northwestern Wyoming, southwestern Montana and eastern Idaho. Biologists estimate that approximately 700 bears now live in that area.

SCI has long been involved in the grizzly bear delisting saga. The Service first listed the grizzly bears in the lower 48 states as threatened back in 1973. In 2007, the Service delisted the GYE population and were soon after sued in federal court. SCI joined the suit as an intervenor to defend the delisting. After the district court invalidated the delisting, SCI, along with the other defendants, appealed the ruling. The appellate court affirmed only part of the ruling but the grizzly remained on the threatened species list. Although the Service predicted that it would be able to delist the bears again in 2013, the Service did not propose to remove the GYE population of bears from federal ESA protection until March of 2016. SCI filed two sets of comments in support of the proposed delisting.

The Service will publish a final delist rule in the next few days and the delisting will go into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register. Despite decades of recovery efforts, extensive scientific research, and demonstrated recovery, the battle over GYE grizzlies is far from over. At least one anti-hunting group has already stated that they will sue to reverse the delisting. If that happens, SCI is very likely to join that litigation and once again defend the delisting and sustainable use management of the bear.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
@Steve Scott put up a great article he wrote on FB today on this subject. Hopefully he will post it here.

There seems to be a larger point here - is the tide turning and the influence of the new administration beginning to assert itself?

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Yes I read that article as well, good read!

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I would bet the bear numbers are far greater than 700! I saw four different griz last year while I was home for vacation. Much like the wolf population claims. It will be nice to apply for griz again in the lower 48! Great news and it will put an end to the tribunal that a defensive shooting puts a guy through.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
@Steve Scott put up a great article he wrote on FB today on this subject. Hopefully he will post it here.

There seems to be a larger point here - is the tide turning and the influence of the new administration beginning to assert itself?

Hope you are right! Some common sense might prevail.

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
So will hunting reserves be set up on Yellowstone? I assume this will mean bears, being a sought-after trophy, will be encouraged to breed in these hunting grounds thus increasing the population.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
So will hunting reserves be set up on Yellowstone? I assume this will mean bears, being a sought-after trophy, will be encouraged to breed in these hunting grounds thus increasing the population.
No hunting will be allowed in Yellowstone National Park, only outside of the park.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I spent 2 seasons working at a guest ranch on the North side of Hebgen lake, as welk as some guide work in the Lee Metcalf wilderness. I can say with conviction, that there is considerable Grizz activity in those areas outside the park.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
This shows the dishonesty of the whole ESA. 700 bears are not endangered, threatened, or otherwise! This should have been done long ago.

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
This shows the dishonesty of the whole ESA. 700 bears are not endangered, threatened, or otherwise! This should have been done long ago.
+1

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
So what are some of the areas that one can expect to hunt bears in?

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
I would hope throughout the corridor, Tetons and Targee in ID and WY, through the gravely range and the bitterroot in Mt. I remember when we used to be able to put in for a griz tag in MT, never drew one but at least there was a shot at a tag for a kid with no money to hope to hunt a griz. We will see if the antis get an injunction like they did on the damn wolves for so long after delisting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kojigac224

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there
KKovar wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Wow, great response regarding the title of a thread and an amazing site.
Jerycmeach wrote on Bullet Safaris's profile.
I am interested in hearing about your wild lion hunts.