Yellow fever shot required when coming from Zambia?

I asked again and the outfitter said this:

"They did drop the requirement last year for yellow fever shots but we do still recommend it & possibly a good prophylactic for malaria."

ok so he recommends yellow fever but only a "possible" for malaria sorry but thats bullshit! you def need to take malaria tabs. the malarone generic tabs now the patent has run out are cheaper now, so make sure you ask for a generic one and not the actual malarone brand as its still more expensive. depending on where in zambia you are hunting and time of year will depend on how many mozzies are about. may is really when it starts to cool down and june, july, early aug its bloody cold in the kafue areas and cool in the valley areas at night. these times the insects are quiet at night but there will still be the odd mozzie around. i still dont understand why they are recommending yellow fever shots when the WHO doesnt. out of interest which area are you @RolandtheHeadless hunting ?

About 1.5 hours from Livingstone via the Great North Road about half way to Choma Town on the Zambezi Plateau, and near the border of Kafue Park another few hours' drive from the first site.

I don't know why he used the word "possibly" in that sentence. Previously he told me we definitely need to get the malaria pills.

Last edited:
About 1.5 hours from Livingstone via the Great North Road about half way to Choma Town on the Zambezi Plateau, and near the border of Kafue Park another few hours' drive from the first site.

I don't know why he used the word "possibly" in that sentence. Previously he told me we definitely need to get the malaria pills.

Definitely is more like it on the Malaria pills.

I was just now, told to make sure I bring malaria meds , too
at the moment everyones down with it , by the sounds of it

I would recommend to take the yellow fever vaccine too if possible.
Reasons are that you probably will travel back to Africa again soon on another hunting trip, and also to be prepared if the rules changes when you are travelling (not nice to be stuck on your way back in immigration and trying to find someone to give you the shots...).

I live in Africa and travel a lot of countries within the Continent... to be safe, GET THE YELLOW FEVER SHOTS... THEY CANNOT HARM YOU. The LAST thing you want is some clever govt official demanding a yellow fever cert and then trying to get a bribe out of you etc etc.. OR WORSE!!

Thanks for sharing Mike.
Interesting change of events. Appears to be an updated concern on the west side.

yellow fever zambia neighbours.jpg

Cholera, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies, Typhoid fever and yellow fever vaccines are recommended for all African travel and work by the medical folks at my company. The malaria medicine you can either take or just have it with you. Malerone does not prevent you from getting malaria, it just minimizes the effect. A lot of expats working in Africa don't take it on a long term basis, because of side effects. You carry 12 pills with you and if you get the symptoms, you get tested and start taking 4 pills a day for 3 days in a row. Something to be aware of is you can come down with malaria 2-3 weeks or so after leaving Africa, so if you take the malerone, keep taking it for awhile after getting home. If you get malaria, it's far better to get it while still in Africa, as they know how to treat it. Once you get back home, chances are the local medical people have never seen malaria. Just getting malerone at a local pharmacy in the US is sometimes challenging.

You can not be inoculated against stupid. So exercise caution.
I went around plenty of Strikes and demonstrations in South Africa without issue. I exercised common sense and caution and have always had a good trip without incident.

UK warns its citizens of possible violence in Zambia

2016-04-22 12:23

Lusaka – The British government has issued a warning to its citizens living in Zambia or traveling to the southern African country amid the political violence that has ensued over the past few days.

According to The Post the British High Commission also issued a warning against poor medical facilities and poor communication in rural areas.

Britons were told not to be around political rallies, gatherings or demonstrations ahead of the general elections on August 11.

This came a few days after at least two people were reportedly burnt to death in Lusaka during riots targeting Rwandan-owned shops, over allegations that foreigners were behind a string of ritual killings.

The violence erupted earlier this week in slum areas of the capital.

Source: News24

You can not be inoculated against stupid. So exercise caution.
I went around plenty of Strikes and demonstrations in South Africa without issue. I exercised common sense and caution and have always had a good trip without incident.

UK warns its citizens of possible violence in Zambia

2016-04-22 12:23

Lusaka – The British government has issued a warning to its citizens living in Zambia or traveling to the southern African country amid the political violence that has ensued over the past few days.

According to The Post the British High Commission also issued a warning against poor medical facilities and poor communication in rural areas.

Britons were told not to be around political rallies, gatherings or demonstrations ahead of the general elections on August 11.

This came a few days after at least two people were reportedly burnt to death in Lusaka during riots targeting Rwandan-owned shops, over allegations that foreigners were behind a string of ritual killings.

The violence erupted earlier this week in slum areas of the capital.

Source: News24

wayne the zambia weekly from above has on page 4 the info on the "ritual killings". as for poor comms in rural areas just see where the locals go to send a txt message or make a phone call , it is amazing how in the middle of nowhere they find one termite mound, or literally a foot print area you stand on and get one bar of signal, but move one step and its gone..........

That makes three frequent flyers into Zambia.

We decided to get the yellow fever shots. Don't want to risk running into a Customs agent who hasn't got the word or wants a bribe. I've never bribed anyone before, and am not at all versed in the etiquette of that business.

My wife saw the doctor yesterday, and to my surprise she didn't come home with an international shot certificate ("yellow card"). I thought doctors give you these when they give you the shots? Or are you supposed to get them somewhere else and take them to the doctor's?

The Doc should have a supply.
Otherwise, why get vaccinated if you can not provide proper proof.
They should order them from government docs.
CDC has instructions. (Not that they should not already know how)

I got the YFVac for transmitting Senegal. No one ever asked about it on that trip.
As you have planned, better safe than sorry or irritated.

Have a great and safe hunt.

We decided to get the yellow fever shots. Don't want to risk running into a Customs agent who hasn't got the word or wants a bribe. I've never bribed anyone before, and am not at all versed in the etiquette of that business.

My wife saw the doctor yesterday, and to my surprise she didn't come home with an international shot certificate ("yellow card"). I thought doctors give you these when they give you the shots? Or are you supposed to get them somewhere else and take them to the doctor's?

as wayne said the doctor should have the yellow fever certificates and provided her with one. your wife needs to go back and get one with all the correct stamps and dates in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!