Year Round Hunting

mdsalern

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I feel lucky to get a whitetail a year and maybe some dove here in Texas, but look forward to traveling to Africa and other places to hunt. If you were to travel and hunt year round, where would you go, what would you hunt, and when would be the best time to go?

I look forward to the ideas and replies. This is a rough outline of what I have come up with so far:

Argentina (Dove, Buffalo, Red Stag) March, April
New Zealand(Red Stag, Tahr, Deer): March, April
Australia (Water Buffalo): June, July, Sept
Africa: May, June, July
Alaska (Deer, Elk, Caribou, Duck): August, Sept, Oct
Texas (Dove) September
(Whitetail, Mule Deer, Duck): November, December
Colorado (Elk, Bear): November, December
Belarus (Bison): December

I’ve seen Poland and Scotland mentioned on AH, but haven’t looked into them. Thank you for the replies.

I think my list would be
January-eland in Cameroon, mule deer in Mexico
February-mountain lion USA
Late March/early April-red stags in New Zealand or Argentina, early season hunt In Kalahari or Karoo (an open area)
April-ibex in Spain
May-kudu rut in South Africa or Namibia, roe deer in Europe, spring bear in North America
June/July-axis deer rut in Texas
Late July/early august- roe deer rut in Europe
September/October - Elk rut USA, red stag roar in Europe, moose in North America, concession areas in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, etc
November-whitetail deer
December-Monterias in Spain

Anything in south africa- january to december

Anything in south africa- january to december
I'll second that. I have hunted Namibia twice in May, and then South Africa in August/September and in January. Each had their ups and downs. If you're up for it you can hunt those two countries any month of the calendar.

I’m from Texas. I’m accustomed to the heat. I did ask the best time to go though…

It was meant as a bit of a joke
Jan-dec means whole year
Just come hunting

There is not a single month of the year that there isnt a deer species in season in the UK and we have 6 different species of deer. 2 of which cant be hunted elsewhere. We also have no quotas or bag limits.

There is not a single month of the year that there isnt a deer species in season in the UK and we have 6 different species of deer. 2 of which cant be hunted elsewhere. We also have no quotas or bag limits.

@huntinlabs , hey Logan, I hope you saw this and are acting on it!

Central Africa (Bongo, LDE):- January-February
NZ (Tahr, etc): March - April
Southern Africa (Yes): May - August
Arizona/NM (Elk): September
Scotland (Red deer, Whisky): Late Sept through October
Kentucky (Whitetail, etc.): October-November
Arizona (Mountain Lion, Black Bear): December

In 2022 I hunted Roe Deer in Romania and Italy. That opened up a whole new world of opportunities in Europe for me, mainly in April-May, and early Fall.
Consider:
April - May, and Sept. - Roe Deer - England, Romania, Italy, France, Hungary (etc)
Mid. Sept. - Oct. 1 - Red Stag - Romania
Late Sept. - 31 Oct. - Fallow - Romania, Hungary
Sept. - Dec. - Chamois - Italy
Wild boar - Most all countries above and much bigger windows of time.

As you are in Texas, like me, don't forget Exotics year round. Personally, I have Nilgai and Aoudad on my short list as I want to take advantage of those being here in TX.

If you do some of the above, and sprinkle in Africa in the June-Aug. timeframe and Whitetail in Texas, you can be hunting something pretty often. If you add Argentina, Alaska and NZ in the mix (and put in for tags in the American West), even better.

My priorities are just to be hunting, somewhere, when I can. The type of animal and style of hunting is secondary. I just want to be hunting and enjoy going different places and meeting fellow hunters. To each his own. Cheers

Right now I feel lucky to get a whitetail a year and maybe some dove here in Texas, but look forward to traveling to Africa and other places to hunt. If you were to travel and hunt year round, where would you go, what would you hunt, and when would be the best time to go?

I look forward to the ideas and replies. This is a rough outline of what I have come up with so far:

Texas (Dove) September

I’ve seen Poland and Scotland mentioned on AH, but haven’t looked into them. Thank you for the replies.
Oh, how I enjoy thought provoking posts as this! I've always been a dreamer, and now I have something else to ponder. I'm not sure whether I should cuss you or thank you for giving me more ammunition for my day dreams.

Great lists! I don’t hunt every month of the year, but here are hunts I’ve done that keep the non-hunting months to a minimum:

January - Late season waterfowl along Texas’ Laguna Madre. Red Heads and Pintails galore!

April - Spring Turkey season in my home state of MissourI.

May - Texas for Axis Deer. The best venison there is. Black Bear in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

June - Scimitar Oryx in Texas. The second-best venison.

All Summer - AFRICA!

Sept - Dove season in Missouri

Oct - Archery deer in Missouri. I could hunt them in September, but don’t like sweating and swatting gnats.

Nov - The high holy season begins! Firearms deer, ducks, quail, pheasants!

Dec - Doe season in Missouri. Varmint hunting….the pelts are getting prime by now.

I can’t get too excited about Feb and Mar. Flyover months for me.

Being on AH will definitely give you day dreams. Thank you all for adding to mine.

Scimitar Oryx, Axis, Quail, Pheasants, exitics, and Laguna Madre all right here in Texas. Europe, Bongo, Elk, NM/AZ, Mountain Lion, Scotland.

Agree on the Axis. Love it Chicken Fried in a cast iron skillet while camping.

Is Belarus still a serious consideration? I had been looking at that, but crossed it off my list on Feb 25th. Probably for the rest of my life at least.

Texas (Dove) September

@mdsalern
I'm quite happy living in Australia and being able to hunt year round for 99% of our game. 5 spieces of deer, pigs, goat, fox, rabbits and camel as well as 2 types of buffalo and scrub bulls.
I'm not into water foul but we have them as well tho they do have a season.
We truly live in the lucky country when it comes to hunting
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross