Xl trapper or stockman folding knife?

Reaction score
Media
Does anyone know of a company offering an xl folding stockman or trapper knife? Something in a six inch handle range. I’ve got quite large hands and unfortunately the one I’ve carried for years is now on the bottom of the Atlantic.

p.s. If anyone’s interested in diving for a really great knife I’ll gladly provide bearings.

It’s not quite what you are after but have you considered a Buck 110, I feel naked without mine.
I’ve got one , really stuck on a trapper I’d settle for a stockman. I’m not the greatest fan of the buck 110s they just don’t feel right in my hand. I appreciate the reply though Wyatt.

Take a look at the Gerber Gator. I know that it isn't what you are looking for but I love the rubberized grip, and it holds a edge.

But if you want to try and find a Xl Trapper try Ebay. They have a number of older knifes out of people's collections

Have you looked at Columbia River Knife And Tool?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.33.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 7.33.48 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
Or just have Von Gruff build you an AH EDC . Folding is over rated anyway :D

Appreciate the options gentleman but I’m stuck on a traditional style knife it’s what I’ve always carried. Plus given the size knife I’m looking for the less tactical and more gentlemanly one looks the less hassle it causes if i happened to get searched with it on me. Unfortunately in Canada that has to be a consideration now.

The Case Folding Hunter is 5 1/4 inches closed. That's the biggest traditional style folder I can think of. See if Smoky Mountain Knife Works will ship to Canada, they have a few handle choices.
30093_c-sp-knife_079_6265_cs_largefoldinghunter_main.jpg

The Case Folding Hunter is 5 1/4 inches closed. That's the biggest traditional style folder I can think of. See if Smoky Mountain Knife Works will ship to Canada, they have a few handle choices.
View attachment 525081
Thanks! I’ll look into one of those it’s just about exactly what I was looking for only slightly smaller than the one I had.

I bought my daughter a Case as her first knife, also!

The quality is superb. I also don't know a a larger, quality knife than the Folding Hunter

The Case 6.5 Large Folding Hunter is a single blade knife with a 4.1" blade, if you would prefer a single blade.

I like a Buck 110, BTW

As an aside. Check out the Buck 110 LT.

It's the latest version of the Bucklite I owned in fhe late 80s and lost in the 90s.

The big difference from a basic Buck 110 is it's a plain plastic handle, which is just as strong but SO much lighter. To me the fault of the original 110 is it's just plain heavy. For an every day carry and working knife the Bucklite 110 back then and LT now is so much more practical and easy to use for the long haul. They also have a slim version and a few colors including a bright orange to find the silly thing if you put it down. All pretty damn cheap. I use a 112 (a little shorter) slim at work day in and day out cutting open cardboard boxes.

Here's the 110 LT.
bu11553_web26.jpg

What is the difference between a case XX Trapper and a XI. It is hell to loose your favorite knife. Mine is a simple Swiss Army Jagger. I do not think I could live without it.

Lon

What is the difference between a case XX Trapper and a XI. It is hell to loose your favorite knife. Mine is a simple Swiss Army Jagger. I do not think I could live without it.

Lon
XL is just short for extra large, no matter the manufacturer.

I really like both patterns but stockman is my favorite. I use a sheepsfoot most of the time- it's an excellent blade style. I usually keep the spey on a stockman extra sharp so it's always ready just in case. So the way I use a stockman it's like a 2 blade knife with a 3rd blade as a backup.

I don't know about Case's use of those markings. But I think XL was a play on letters/words created for marketing purposes back in the day of the huge numbers of English, mostly Sheffield, Bowies that were exported to the US and Australia. For example many blade stamps or etchings may have included: XL which stood for Excel and I XL which stood for I Excel and non XLL which stood for none Excels and so on.

Here's an example of NON XLL on a Joseph Allen and Sons Sheffield "Bowie"

IMG_4054.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about Case's use of those markings. But I think XL was a play on letters/words created for marketing purposes back in the day of the huge numbers of English, mostly Sheffield, Bowies that were exported to the US and Australia. For example many blade stamps or etchings may have included: XL which stood for Excel and I XL which stood for I Excel and non XLL which stood for none Excels and so on.

Here's an example of NON XLL on a Joseph Allen and Sons Sheffield "Bowie"

View attachment 526278
I simply put xl in the title because I was looking for a large folder do to having large hands. The one I had and lost overboard was just over six inches closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg