Wyoming Team Makes Long-Range Rifle Shot Record, Hits 4.4 Mile Target

I respect the innovation. Formula 1 pushes the auto envelope and it is impressive. NASA does space. These guys are working on extreme long range as a hobby and maybe some income. 69 shots to walk it in. Next time, likely fewer shots.

I wonder what innovation we will get from them? Barrel design? Bullet design? Scope mounting systems? We didn’t get to a 1 MOA factory rifle standard without innovation.

I support the long range target shooting interest. A smart hunter will take away a better understanding of practical range. In a 1 day long range class I learned quite a bit about how far I can shoot and expect to have excellent shot placement. (And that answer is condition dependent and in perfect conditions, less than 500 yards)

throw enough shit at a wall, some will stick. let me know when they get it down to hits from the first or second rounds fired. i have shot 1000 yards at williamsport pa. wind-mirage-drop will make a long range shooter tear his hair out and at that range 1-2 shot hits will be next to impossible.

stunt, plain and simple. no value in the hunting world i can see.
Now now, don't be so judgy Leslie.

Records are meant to be broken and that's what they set out to do. Good for them. Neither your opinion, or mine, mattered to them in the slightest. Which is how it should be.

When this new record is broken, I bet they will do it again.

its fun to try and do that and i have done long range shooting with a .58 cal muzzle loader and mini bullets that is quite hard at not even close to four miles, but is a real challenge. my thinking is it will be a while before a animal is hit and killed at that range, and there are many better ways to hit a soldier at four+ miles.

if there is a hunting season open, i,m there.

DSCN1261 (2).JPG
DSCN9839 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an impressive feat, but to me it kinda underlines the 'randomness' inherent to long range shooting and the element of luck involved.

It took them 69 shots, so it's reasonable to assume that the actual 'print' of the rifle at that range is significantly bigger than the target. That being the case, it comes down to luck as to where within that swept area it lands. You could do it with the first round, you could do it with the thousandth and theres nothing the shooter can do to influence that either way other than keep sending rounds downrange on the correct point of aim.

I think there's an element of this in all these long range (2000yd plus) sniper kills in war zones. Swept area at those ranges is maybe the size of a pick up truck. Hold the point of aim perfectly on target and maybe you hit dirt, maybe you get a headshot. Random chance.

That doesn't detract from the skill required to ascertain the correct point of aim to centre the group or hold the point of aim of course, but I don't think having the longest kill really 'proves' skill at that level.

Ok had a chat with people over the weekend who knows more about this type of LR shooting than me.
Yes it can be done so I'm wrong for that sorry.

But also except for hitting the target or missing it left or right that bullet basically fell at terminal velocity speed into the target from high above. Would love to see the video where shots missed how they dropped close or next to target.

69th shot of the session........

There are no animals or soldiers involved, just a couple of shooters enjoying themselves at the range. It’s kind of like when I shoot at 5 gallon buckets at 500 yards with the old military Mauser or SKS with open sights.
It’s just for hell of it.
@Wyatt Smith
The old long range 303 shooters used to do 1,000 yards with SMLEs and pot pretty good scores.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross