AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
I've been saving up points for a 'blue chip' antelope area in Wyoming, at the same time my two oldest sons have been drawing tags and shooting antelope. My sons have hunted antelope the two previous years and even though I've just been along as an observer/pack mule/pay-for-gas-guy they have been some of the most enjoyable hunts I've been on. This year I decided it was time to join the fun and we put in as a group, didn't have enough points as a group for a 'blue chip' area, but we still got some great antelope and even better memories. I'm always complaining of never having shot an antelope so my wife told my sons we were not to return until I had notched my tag - I listened to my wife for a change!
S7YcnKGNGwMVKVh0g4ZuZHFdCKd20mMukppEsAtpVsc=w311-h207-p-no

29B5DOrWsZFNBUaTjv4MSWzsBQ4bPT-tCa1C4lgBhxE=w296-h221-p-no

My sons had been successful both of the previous years and kept their good luck streak alive on this hunt.
cpcFtlxp17IB9DdkadtKfNQqp5HygAxOj9HSypngMRI=w276-h207-p-no

IE4aSZLksQKf6_7T4lnItV3ZKlv0wc7PyRR2BYDaavM=w432-h221-p-no

I'll probably never save up enough points for one of those 'blue chip' areas if we can just keep having this much fun. Just a couple more pics from the hunt.
Lf9lGHtOtvB8ZZ6jcGyX_ertQg8pJ9Huu5-Lx3E15PE=w296-h221-p-no

wRPdVNelyria9-lWu6dqJIZZmhfbVmaVr-kXT9KWN74=w159-h221-p-no

Attachments

• IMG_9928a.jpg
    IMG_9928a.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 219
  • D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 219
  • S!.jpg
    S!.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_9901.jpg
    IMG_9901.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 240
  • NotchIt.jpg
    NotchIt.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 206
some nice goats...
(y)

nice antelope, that over spread fella ,looks awesome. congratulations to you and your boys .
but I gotta ask
whats saving points for a blue chip area ?

Some nice antelope!

Nice!!! What area did you hunt? I hunted an area outside Thermopolis last year and took a good goat with my Dad. Lotsa fun.

nice antelope, that over spread fella ,looks awesome. congratulations to you and your boys .
but I gotta ask
whats saving points for a blue chip area ?

It means you apply every year, lose $30 a person to collect points to apply for the best area of Wyoming to hunt in for antelope.
Bluey good areas on private land can be bought for just about every year. No saving points, just apply and buy a tag. Public land hunts are whole new ball game.

It means you apply every year, lose $30 a person to collect points to apply for the best area of Wyoming to hunt in for antelope.
Bluey good areas on private land can be bought for just about every year. No saving points, just apply and buy a tag. Public land hunts are whole new ball game.

hmmmm it seems like its a bit of a raffle this hunting in America.
I read somewhere onc that for one of your big sheep ballots, it takes 30 odd years to be aligable to be drawn , sounds crazy to me .
then you can only be drawn once , that's it .game over .
so how manty points does it take to get into a blue chip antelope / goat hunt.
they must be krackers in there ,because that over spread one in the pic with the hunter in the blaze beanie would get my vote for all expenses paid trip to Australia .
the one in the picture under it would be in whole lotta trouble to.
is there a book I can buy to understand your game hunting rules and regulation s, written real words not jargon ?
specialy understanding this piont thing, its all confusing to me .
so even on private land you need tags?
and a hunting licence?
does this go for high fence, ?
in every state?
and can you buy multiple tags for the same specie in these areas?

A subscription to Huntin' Fool magazine or **NOT**PERMITTED** Hunting Journal helps. All the regulations are on the Internet for each state. It's very hard to understand for a beginner. The regulations were written by lawyers.

Essentially the state owns the wildlife unless it's captive. So everyone has to buy a tag. Residents of a state get treated different than non-residents.

Hell Bluey, if ya want to hunt a goat I will help you put in for some great areas( no high fence) in Arizona and New Mexico, let me know and I will get you the info for next year! I love hunting speed goats!
82" buck in AZ this September. 9200' elevation. My friend applied for years for this tag!
image.jpg

Just to jump in here - the magazine subscriptions are both good but are mostly for western states. It gets even more confusing when you have areas that are over the counter and draw (the lottery you referred to) Here in Oklahoma if you hold a lifetime license like me you can shoot 4 does and 2 bucks, one or two turkeys per county, small game, fishing, and upland birds without any extra cost. I have to buy a federal waterfowl stamp each year for $15 and that's it. If I go out of state its a whole new set of regs, license, and tags. It can easily run over $800 to $1500 out of state.

HPIM0465.JPG

Stopped last week in Gillette, WY and bought a left over antelope tag. Was on my way to hunt for deer but thought what the heck I might as well shoot one more pronghorn before the license fee goes up next year.

Bluey

The craziness of the regs here in the states is what drives a lot of our hunting business to Africa!

So long as the Africa hunts (and Australia and New Zealand for that matter) stay sane, we Americans will keep coming over! For better or worse for the locals.... :)

wow thanks mate .that's very humbling and I will take up on it
it wont be next year , im doin Zambia next year and if l can swing a couple days in the east cape I will be all over that ,straight after it .
and catching up on some samba hunting here in oz ,.
in 16 or 17 at the latest I want to go to canada and do some hunting in America , montanna and new mexico will definately be one of these hunts .
will I have points to able to get a whitetail , cougar , elk and antelope/goat, if not how do l get them ?

until last year I didn't know if these pronghorn were antelope or goats , I was educated on here , yet another victory for AH.
thank you BT 338

and thank you enysee , I figured that some group of over educated idiots , would sat down and made the rules in legal jargon .....aint it always the way

wow thanks mate .that's very humbling and I will take up on it
it wont be next year , im doin Zambia next year and if l can swing a couple days in the east cape I will be all over that ,straight after it .
and catching up on some samba hunting here in oz ,.
in 16 or 17 at the latest I want to go to canada and do some hunting in America , montanna and new mexico will definately be one of these hunts .
will I have points to able to get a whitetail , cougar , elk and antelope/goat, if not how do l get them ?

until last year I didn't know if these pronghorn were antelope or goats , I was educated on here , yet another victory for AH.
thank you BT 338

and thank you enysee , I figured that some group of over educated idiots , would sat down and made the rules in legal jargon .....aint it always the way
Montana is the easiest to draw to, this year has over 1000 left over elk/deer combo license left over. Deer, Elk, Antelope are all on lottery for non resident. Cougar, Bear and Wolf are all available over the counter. I am going home(Montana) to hunt in November and will report on current wolf situation in the Ruby Valley

Bluey we can get you an elk tag for New Mexico, whitetail in a lot of places and cougar will be no problem(there is a quota) but we can find you some one honest!

I am going home(Montana) to hunt in November and will report on current wolf situation in the Ruby Valley

Pack your long johns and your oxygen bottle!! Houston just doesn't get one ready for cold, thin air...

Africa hunts are fair priced in some cases more than fair, tarbe
but in my opinion aussie hunts and new Zealand ( unless you want to pay top dollar for a red deer with shit hanging off it everywhere) are way over priced .
there a few good deals around on public land for samba deer .
but for the little effort goes into the fallow deer , rusa deer ,chitteldeer and the captive /released reds , they are going up all the time .
and the buffalo and boars,way up noerth ,I don't know very much about .

Pack your long johns and your oxygen bottle!! Houston just doesn't get one ready for cold, thin air...
I hear ya Brother, haven't been home in a couple of years! That goat hunt in AZ had me sucking wind, as will my sons deer hunt in New Mexico next week. Been trying to cut down on the Bud Lights though

I think I seen a copy of huntin fool mag ,in a news agent here recently .
thanks again enysee, sounds like a plan
bloody oath a wolf will be cool , I forgot that one BT 338
don't know about long johns tarbe , I may live at sea level but altitude has never been a issue ,mate
them pronghorn are a handsome animal , cant wait to eat one .....

so jd your antelope is from a tag you buy over the counter and hunt on public land ?
he has a wicked curl to him .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you