Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Well folks I have searched high and low for just the right rifle. My grandson is a long way from his first hunt, he is 22 months old, but I tend to get out ahead of things. One day the little guy will be able to say he has a rifle just like PaPa’s. Ruger dosent make this rifle anymore so finding one is difficult and when you do the price is frequently excessive. This one was listed at Cabela’s gun Library as sale pending. Well I was visiting the Houston area, to see my grandson, and stopped in the Legue City Store. I couldn’t help but stroll into the the gun room and look around. I just happened to meet a very nice man working there named Robert. I told him about the rifle I had seen online as sale pending and I thought my luck was to always be a day late. He decided to call the Farmington Utah store and inquired if the rifle was still pending or available. Robert got a big grin on his face when he said it was back out for sale. I pulled out my Cabela’s credit card and said sold. Well not right there.....Robert had the Utah store ship the rifle to Kansas City for me. The good folks there called me today to say the rifle had arrived. I jumped in the Dodge Ram and took off as fast as legally possible to collect prize I have long sought!
The Cabela’s listing said the bore, metal and wood were in excellent condition! What an understatement.....I didn’t think it had ever been fired. I asked one of the experts to take a look and render his opinion. He said the exterior was mint really but that the rifle had been fired. He found just a little metal in the end of the barrel. So now this rifle will join three other Ruger No 1s the reside in my safe, two of which share the stainless steel and laminated salt and pepper wood. It really looks just like my 300 win mag! So Wyatt will start out with this 243 No 1 in a few years. It even came with a Nikon scope.
485B6C56-F86C-4510-BFE0-B46FE62CEAF9.jpeg
7832A074-DA7C-4C24-8EF8-2F1F61CDF4ED.jpeg

PaPa’s 300 win mag and 375 H&H
2E6152B1-FCB3-406A-AF0C-42F4B0475675.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you found one Charley. I know you wanted a 243 or 25-06

Yep I’ve seen kids in Africa take down blue wildebeest with the 243 so it should be fine on deer, hogs and coyote

Oh MY!!! I saw the title to this thread and thought my son had bought that double rifle he has been looking at. Well, looks like he is staying married for awhile longer.

Congrats on the new rifle for your grandson!!!(y)(y)(y)

Great find Charlie, Wyatt will be shooting it before you know it. Now you need to find him a good .22 to start him on the right path.

Well folks I have searched high and low for just the right rifle. My grandson is a long way from his first hunt, he is 22 months old, but I tend to get out ahead of things. One day the little guy will be able to say he has a rifle just like PaPa’s. Ruger dosent make this rifle anymore so finding one is difficult and when you do the price is frequently excessive. This one was listed at Cabela’s gun Library as sale pending. Well I was visiting the Houston area, to see my grandson, and stopped in the Legue City Store. I couldn’t help but stroll into the the gun room and look around. I just happened to meet a very nice man working there named Robert. I told him about the rifle I had seen online as sale pending and I thought my luck was to always be a day late. He decided to call the Farmington Utah store and inquired if the rifle was still pending or available. Robert got a big grin on his face when he said it was back out for sale. I pulled out my Cabela’s credit card and said sold. Well not right there.....Robert had the Utah store ship the rifle to Kansas City for me. The good folks there called me today to say the rifle had arrived. I jumped in the Dodge Ram and took off as fast as legally possible to collect prize I have long sought!
The Cabela’s listing said the bore, metal and wood were in excellent condition! What an understatement.....I didn’t think it had ever been fired. I asked one of the experts to take a look and render his opinion. He said the exterior was mint really but that the rifle had been fired. He found just a little metal in the end of the barrel. So now this rifle will join three other Ruger No 1s the reside in my safe, two of which share the stainless steel and laminated salt and pepper wood. It really looks just like my 300 win mag! So Wyatt will start out with this 243 No 1 in a few years. It even came with a Nikon scope.
View attachment 255742 View attachment 255743
PaPa’s 300 win mag and 375 H&H
View attachment 255744
@C Austin
At least get it rechambered to 6mm Remington or 240 Weatherby for the little fella he will love it more than the 243. Plus he can say he's got a magnum like poppy and still have mild recoil
Bob.

Bob, are you sure you don’t have a .243 snuggling up to that Whelen in your safe?

Great find Charlie!

Bob, are you sure you don’t have a .243 snuggling up to that Whelen in your safe?

Great find Charlie!
@WAB
Wash your mouth out with soap. If I had my way that cartridge would be barred for any thing tougher than a paper target.
Bob

Well we know how to get a response out of Bob eh?

Charlie, it will make a great first gun, just load quality bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross