WWI Weapons Unearthed At Tsumeb Namibia

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://www.namibiansun.com/local-news/ww1-weapons-unearthed-at-tsumeb2022-09-12

WW1 WEAPONS UNEARTHED AT TSUMEB​

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-12 at 11.37.14.jpeg

More still buried
A huge cache of what is suspected to be weapons and other artifacts from World War I was unearthed during a Telecom Namibia upgrade and maintenance project in Tsumeb.

A historical treasure trove, comprising over a thousand suspected World War 1 weapons and other old artifacts, was unearthed during a Telecom Namibia upgrade and maintenance project in Tsumeb last Thursday.

According to sources, workers dug out one rifle and then contacted the police. When the police came, digging continued, revealing more weapons.
“It’s hard to believe that this historical treasure was right under our feet,” a source told Namibia Media Holdings.

Kobie Oosthuizen from the Tsumeb neighborhood watch said they grouped the weapons in bundles, and a count estimate totaled about 1 300.

“The majority of the stuff is still buried under the tar road,” he said, adding that attempts to lift the road to recover the treasure were apparently stopped by the municipality.

In the meantime, the police have taken the discovered items to a police station.

Huge discovery

Screenshot_32.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-12 at 11.37.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-12 at 11.37.18.jpeg

Amazing how things just get forgotten.

I always wondered how much of that stuff gets left behind. I bet the deeply wooded areas of combat have lots of treasures, lying about.

Cool that they found that cache but I want to cry when seeing the condition of those rifles. If only that cache had been coated in cosmoline and stored in an abandoned cave....

looks like the rifles were burnt with plenty of bent barrels(where,s the wood) before getting buried. pretty sorry condition.

I have to wonder; how many more are still buried there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross