Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles

Last edited:
Never could understand the single file approach..

This will help:
Take your six best friends on your next deer stalk. Have them all walk abreast.
Let me know how successful you are in getting in close. :)

I completely agree with you when it comes to a stalk and approach...
But, how many of these videos have we seen where the tracker runs, the PH fires and the Client right behind the PH fires over or around his shoulder. This very same happened last year in Zim with the PH taking a .458 round through the shoulder, no doubt ending a career.
I would think it would have to be very well choreographed with one hunter stepping left the other right if a charge in close quarters happens. But, this may be a lot to ask under the stress of a charge. A PH would have to have a lot of confidence in his client to invite him into such close quarters knowing that there was a loaded gun pointing at his back in a very stressful situation.
this topic is certainly open for discussion and it would be interesting to have a few of the PH's chime in .
Perhaps this topic should be taking to another Forum...

I think this is why it's called Dangerous Game Hunting........humans are the most dangerous creatures of all right. We creat issues for ourselves by our actions that put us in harms way all the time. This past hunt my PH Hennie du Toit of African Sky Safaris was very detailed in his instructions as to how we would approach the lioness I had shot through the shoulders. It was not single file but four abreast. Again this was to approach a wounded DG animal which made perfect sense to me....if she charged we could bring to bear four rifles quickly and safely. In my case we could see her for most of our approach over about 80 yards so that I could put a second round in her chest. I can also see where single file stalking DG would be best.
Zephyr I also saw a video of a PH being shot by his client as they maneuvered through thick bush and that guy was lucky to live. I think he had to walk 1/2 a mike to get to the truck. He was very fortunate that day!

I completely agree with you when it comes to a stalk and approach...
But, how many of these videos have we seen where the tracker runs, the PH fires and the Client right behind the PH fires over or around his shoulder. This very same happened last year in Zim with the PH taking a .458 round through the shoulder, no doubt ending a career.
I would think it would have to be very well choreographed with one hunter stepping left the other right if a charge in close quarters happens. But, this may be a lot to ask under the stress of a charge. A PH would have to have a lot of confidence in his client to invite him into such close quarters knowing that there was a loaded gun pointing at his back in a very stressful situation.
this topic is certainly open for discussion and it would be interesting to have a few of the PH's chime in .
Perhaps this topic should be taking to another Forum...

I think the dance number changes under stress. But, you sure as hell better have a plan.

I feel for every PH that goes anywhere with anyone with a loaded gun. The crazier the situation the worse I feel for them.
Watching any video makes me cringe. Muzzle flashing the PH's legs, back, etc etc. (parallax does not help)

Never mind Dangerous Game.

I was on a follow up of a Wildbeest that had finally gone into some isolated dense stuff. I silently motioned my plan to stand at the southern edge of the patch, while the PH and other hunter went north and the trackers went in on the track.
Before that Wildebeest would ever come out I made sure I was in the open and we all knew where everyone was going to be standing.
Luckily the beest did us the favour of expiring in the thicket.

The only fail safe plan is NEVER miss on the first shot. :)

Last edited:
Very similar issues to small unit close combat situations. In those, we have young professionals who do "battle drills" and rehearsals for hours before mounting an operation which will lead close combat exchanges of fire. In dangerous game hunting it is exactly the opposite situation. It is truly a wonder more people aren't shot.

That lucky PH save his life just for a thin hair......that really scared to me......I am allways fearful to get shoot in my back when I am guiding in thick bushes for a red stag......!!!!!

That lucky PH save his life just for a thin hair......that really scared to me......I am allways fearful to get shoot in my back when I am guiding in thick bushes for a red stag......!!!!!
did you LOOK the same I look at this pic???:eek::eek::eek:
CRAZYYYYYY!!!! the shot ... amazing... no words for that! pass away a bit between the showlder and an ear.... of the PH...
Believe me! I´m a lucky man! because in a guiding hunt, ane of my partners shot a boar and a ricochet bullet hit me... in the tongue of my rigt hand...
but... it was AN INFORTUNATED ACCIDENT... not a crazy thing like the madnes of guide a guy whith your gun point to my shoulder!:mad:

That PH almost died by friendly fire....

More people are killed by bullet wounds during a charge than by the animals that charge them...

a lot of hunters have died on that way.
(DG-) hunting ,especially on bloodtracks, is no company outing.
I'm missing else the mother in law in this video and than a scope in thick cover.............

I always wonder why the Buffalo makes a straight line through the group ... and keeps on going. No attempt to gore or trample the hunters. I can't help thinking it was just trying to get away.

It's very difficult to say what exactly happen in that clip, looks like the client was not fire his rifle but the PH took 2 shots with his double, after that the buffalo is down, and then runs away again or is it another bull ??? I can not see how they could done this different, except that the trackers always running like crazy in this kind of situations one of them nearly running in to the PH, the client in behind the PH after the book so I do not understand why you say side by side ? In the end the client shooting at that running away buffalo with the sound of a bolt action...

Again, I can not see how they could have done this in a different way.

It's very difficult to say what exactly happen in that clip, looks like the client was not fire his rifle but the PH took 2 shots with his double, after that the buffalo is down, and then runs away again or is it another bull ??? I can not see how they could done this different, except that the trackers always running like crazy in this kind of situations one of them nearly running in to the PH, the client in behind the PH after the book so I do not understand why you say side by side ? In the end the client shooting at that running away buffalo with the sound of a bolt action...

Again, I can not see how they could have done this in a different way.

I just said how close the clients shoot was from the PH´s back, we cannot deny that......and secondly, I dont see a diferent way to have that situation done it also......it is what it was.......and very surprising charge....glad no one got hurt......!!!!!

Yes Rocket, "if you make a silly mistake - and you will pay with your life". I don understand how the PH miss that shots withing a couple of meters ???

In my count
Yes Rocket, "if you make a silly mistake - and you will pay with your life". I don understand how the PH miss that shots withing a couple of meters ???
Fellow, in my country, it´s called "shit in the pants" shot...:mad::mad:
An animal like this, coming over... isn´t for anybody!... more than accuracy and timming... EGGS.... are more efficient at this time!

No, he is not a new exterminated 21 year old PH and should have experience enough to not miss in a situation like that, old Marc Sullivan would enjoy that !! :D

mikes a very good ph , i am wondering if the clients shot going off so close to him distracted/affected him for a split second, and its very lucky he didnt take another even slight step to the left when he was avoiding the tracker...................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg