Would you?

Do you like the “freaks”?

• Yes

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
866A8DF0-C6F6-4BD8-8C7E-8090B348BB62.jpeg

Here’s one for the pronghorn freak lovers. A little over 16” on the normal horn and 18” on the drop horn. Had to talk Dale into shooting him! Once in a lifetime speed goat. Told him he would never get another chance at a freak this big. Jet black nose and cheek piece. Old buck.

No question would nock it over in a heartbeat.

It would depend on the tag I had. If it were an easy to get tag in Wyoming, I'd absolutely take the buck. If it were a hard to get tag in Oregon, I dont think he quite makes the grade. I'd definitely have the glass on him to really try to size him up. But by judging only from the first photo, no. I say this as I look at the three beauties in my living room. I love the pronghorn.

Archery: Yes
Muzzleloader: Yes
Easy Wyoming tag: Yes
Tough hard to draw trophy unit: No

Antelope is my favorite NA meat. So long as he didn’t appear sick, I would definitely shoot.

View attachment 385006
Here’s one for the pronghorn freak lovers. A little over 16” on the normal horn and 18” on the drop horn. Had to talk Dale into shooting him! Once in a lifetime speed goat. Told him he would never get another chance at a freak this big. Jet black nose and cheek piece. Old buck.
I had already commented on this picture when I saw it earlier this week! I'd have DEFINITELY taken him!!

I'll take a "freak" especailly if I already have shot one of that particular species in the past.

Dunno. Depends on whether a "normal" one was standing right next to it, how tired I was and whether my wife thought it would look good mounted on the wall. I'm going to have to think about it some...

IMG_20181102_011613.jpg

Here's my Gemsbok from my first safari. It was one of my priority animals. I looked at a "package" and asked to switch the Hartebeest for a Gemsbok before deciding to buy. When I went back for the second time I had no plans to shoot another. But when I saw this one, I wanted it almost immediately!
IMG_20190426_141332.jpg

Definitely I have 5 goats now and this would be a great addition.

I might not be dealing with a full deck, but I have two answers. North American game - Yes. African game - No. Unless it was a highly discounted cull.
I live in a province with an excellent variety of wildlife, except the mountain and Arctic species. I have killed several typicals of whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear and moose (have only shot a cow elk so far) and would shoot an oddball specimen gladly.
For African game however, I want a specimen that looks like it's supposed to look as that may be the only one I am ever able to hunt. The exception would be if I was on a cull hunt, or happened upon a particular animal that the outfitter wanted removed from the population. And at that, I would want a substantial discount.

I remember bill c killed a wicked awesome red hartebeest-it was his avatar pick for awhile. I always thought it was amazing

View attachment 385410
Here's my Gemsbok from my first safari. It was one of my priority animals. I looked at a "package" and asked to switch the Hartebeest for a Gemsbok before deciding to buy. When I went back for the second time I had no plans to shoot another. But when I saw this one, I wanted it almost immediately!
View attachment 385411
now that's one fast oryx

Definitely quick, however I imagine the extreme heat had softened them a bit which helped I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg