Would you value a record trophy more than an unusual trophy?

Would you value a record trophy more than an unusual trophy?

• Yes

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

PHSC_Martin

Reaction score
Hunted
Sub-Saharan Africa
Have a look a this exceptional Oryx (Gemsbok) trophy that our client managed to take in the beautiful Kalahari.

This is going to be a great conversational point and proof that sometimes the interesting and slightly "weird" trophies, usually gets more attention than the records and symmetrical trophies.

Would love to see other interesting trophy's and their stories.

Regards,
Martin

www.phsc.co.za plain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it is a very interesting animal. It must have damaged the horn when it was young. I'm sure once it is on the wall everyone will want to hear the story.
During my April hunt with African Sky Safaris I harvested a Red Hartebeest that had a tip broken off that we couldn't see when glassing him. Some suggested that I have Capricorn fashion a tip to replace what had been broken. I opted to keep the trophy as is because it gives him character.
image.jpg

Absolutely CAustin,
I agree with you 100%.
It definitely gives your trophy character and also another dimension to the hunting stories.
Like when you tracked and glassed the animal, and your surprise when it eventually was brought down, Especially yours being mature and size.
I believe trophies like that are truly special.

Very unique.

Any time you get an opportunity for a novel trophy you should consider it. The added bonus is they are usually offered at a discount as a cull.

I have purposefully hunted Unicorn Vaalies, Impala and odd shaped Nyala.

I got this one by surprise. (I also got the offer to "fix it")

Kudu Mount.jpg

I like the unusual stuff. Here's my favorite.

I really wanted to land a curled horn gemsbok, never came across one. My friend thought I was joking when I said I considered that a "real" trophy and wanted to hunt one. Maybe next time.

This could turn out to be a great thread for everyone to share the unusual trophy. We saw a one horned Kudu last year. The property owner referred to him as an assassin because he could fight other bulls with ease. He wasn't offered at a discount though so I passed but wished later I had taken him. When I went back this year I asked about the odd bull and the property owner said jerky hunters had taken him. Too bad as he would have been on my wall to start out the conversations.

image.jpg
I ran across this Addax in Texas a couple of weeks ago but wasn't allowed to take it since it was a cow that was part of a growing herd. I sure wanted her to go along with my curley horned Gemsbok though.

There's a unusual Scimitar horned oryx out there with my name on it according to my buddy but he hasn't sent me a pic yet.

I want to start a European collection of freaks.

I value the beauty of an older animal or an animal with exceptional genetics. The odd balls don't trip my trigger. They are neat to look at but that is it for me.

I absolutely love the unusual stuff! I have to say though that the trophies I value the most are the ones that have an exceptional story.

Jeffpg that Addax looks cool to me! So let's invite everyone to tell the story behind their photo.

I took with my bow a Blackwildebeest that had broken off about 4 inches of horn , My PH was "OH SO SORRY " I hung it on my wall with pride as beauty is in the eye of the beholder . It still sneaks a smile to my face just to look at it . Sorry don't know how to post pictures.
Glen

I think my answer is "it depends." Some of the oddballs I like, some I don't.

I would personally never have a broken horn "fixed." I like the character. I guy on my deer lease killed a really nice buck this year with a broken tip on one of the points. He couldn't wait to get it fixed. To each his own!

………. Sorry don't know how to post pictures.
Glen
Just "drag and drop" them into the post. If that does not make sense. Do, as Spike does ask your kid or grandkid. :)

I have no trophies of my own yet, but the oddities are certainly for me! Those would line up perfectly with my personality. Not saying I'd turn down a monster trophy if it were to show up in my sights, but I think I'll be more inclined to bag the silly ones at a moments notice. I love the uniqueness of the atypical presentation.

Reactions: ETS
DSCF1695.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Skinner that's a fine looking black wildebeest. Congrats. I think he has a lot of character. How far did he run?

I just HATE broken tips, horns and tusks.
I don't care about what a trophy scores, but I very much care about having whole antlers/horns/tusks.
I don't mind to shoot an oddball for a cull price, but not something I will actively hunt for unless I am on a cull hunt.
I prefer a mature and beautiful representative of the specie.
So my choice would be the record trophy even if I never will get it measured and entered in the books.

THANKS Caustin it was one of the best shots I made (heart lungs ) dropped right in the middle of the road at 40 yards, after taking out a water tank ......boy was my PH impressed ? NORWEGIANWOODS why would you not want to take an animal that fought it's way to the top . As I said my PH was sorry he had not noticed the horn . I was not sorry at all I had taken the lead Bull of the herd it "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder "
Glen

I don't know that I have any record trophies but I am generally out hoping to get a large (trophy sized) specimen on the animal Iam hunting. However, I certainly would be excited about the curly horned odd balls if I already had a nice representative specimen of that species. Those would be really great conversation pieces. Broken tips and horns are something that I would not fix in taxiderny if I shot an animal that had brokend tips/horns. However, I would probably strive to not shoot animals with broken tips, etc. For some reason that adds less character to me that something like a thrid antler or curly horn on a Gemsbok. That is just me though. I am real happy for all of the guys that have posted so far, it is a great thing that we all have varied tastes and can hunt as we wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg