Would you or would you not...

Today I say gather components BEFORE you buy/build your rifle. I am starting a 308 Norma Magnum project and first collected over150 new Norma cases. Bullets, powder and primers no problem... brass can be a problem on more obscure cartridges. Doubt this matters with the 9.3 X 62, though.

Yes, buy the components if you know that is the caliber you are planning on purchasing. I've done it numerous times, and it works out perfect. :)

Last edited:
Far more likely powder, primers, and bullets are going to remain scarce for a while and always have the potential to become scarce again in the future... I'd buy while you can...

I don't particularly NEED any reloading components right now... but without exception every time I set foot in Cabelas or Scheels I check and see if they have anything I commonly use in reloading.. and at least once a week I look at Midway, Brownells, Mid South, and a few others to see if anyone has the powders, primers, and bullets I commonly load in stock.. if/when I find something, even at today's inflated prices, I buy it..

Once you own the 9.3, you own it.. and wont ever have to source it again...

powder, primers, and bullets though.. that's something else all together..

Primers, absolutely. Powder too, if you are sure about what powder works and if it works for other common calibers. RL-17 is my choice for 9,3x63 and several other (smaller) calibers, but ymmv.

Brass and reloading dies...debatable, just depends on how sure you are.

A stock of components without a rifle is just preparation, a rifle with no components is a walking stick. ;-)
Get all you can of everything you can while you can. You can never have too many components.

I'm in the market for my next rifle a bolt action in 9.3X62, as my search continues I find reloading components mainly brass, primers etc available as of today. Would you stock up on them or wait till you get the gun first.
I have 3 Africa calibers. I bought everything at the same time. Dies, right powder, bullets and brass and never looked back. I don’t want to be at the mercy of the market…I held my nose closed my eyes cried once and bought all I need now need nothing but time and practice

I'd first define the mission and your goals. If limited amount of shooting, factory ammo would be first choice. If extensive shooting and best accuracy is desired, stock up on components.

All good advice, driving past my favorite store on the way home I would purchase primers, powders and everything else I MIGHT need. Bought things before the Chinese flu. Have what I need now. Its sort of like the surplus business, if you see it available, just buy it.

I'm in the market for my next rifle a bolt action in 9.3X62, as my search continues I find reloading components mainly brass, primers etc available as of today. Would you stock up on them or wait till you get the gun first.
Stock up now! You need bait to be sure you lure in the rifle you want;)

Grab powder and primers for sure. I don't believe they will suddenly be more available or be going down in price anytime soon. Get a small batch of brass maybe 100 to start with. Same for some cheap bullets in the weight range you will shoot most. I see Midway has cheap 286 gr 9.3 Hornadys, fine for practice, for 62.00 per 100- get 200-300 to start. As with powder and primers, I'd stock up on premium bullets if you find them... TSX, A-Frame, etc. Buy powder that is middle of the road where you could use it for a lot of things, not just the 9.3. Varget and H4350 come to mind. Regular type Hodgdon and IMR powders in the LGS were about 49.00 lb average 6 mos ago- now about 57.00 lb. Primers while still spotty, are going up at a faster rate. Primers a year ago were about 5.00/100 now about 12.00/100.

Last edited:
I bought factory ammo, bullets and dies for my 404 Jeffrey before I had the rifle. I also bought 4 boxes of .405 bullets for a potential 400H&H project but it never came to fruition. Anybody need some .405 bullets?

Grab powder and primers for sure. I don't believe they will suddenly be more available or be going down in price anytime soon. Get a small batch of brass maybe 100 to start with. Same for some cheap bullets in the weight range you will shoot most. I see Midway has cheap 286 gr 9.3 Hornadys, fine for practice, for 62.00 per 100- get 200-300 to start. As with powder and primers, I'd stock up on premium bullets if you find them... TSX, A-Frame, etc. Buy powder that is middle of the road where you could use it for a lot of things, not just the 9.3. Varget and H4350 come to mind. Regular type Hodgdon and IMR powders in the LGS were about 49.00 lb average 6 mos ago- now about 57.00 lb. Primers while still spotty, are going up at a faster rate. Primers a year ago were about 5.00/100 now about 12.00/100.
LGS had some powder at about that price. I passed not because it was too much just out of principle. It is starting to come back in stock it is probably not going down that much in price.

I just ordered 140 .375 H&H cases today from Quality Cartridge. They’ll run their next batch in mid-spring, probably April so I have a bit of a wait. Also ordered some more .416 Hoffman brass, which they had in stock.

I’ve got a .375 H&H being built. Just found a rifle to base it on a few weeks ago. Picked up a 0re-64 Express action that is pillar bedded to a Hi-Tec fiberglass stock and has a 7mm STW barrel on it. Got a good buy on the rifle and ordered a 24” Shilen Select Match stainless barrel, which should arrive in February or March. Rifle will be ready to take to Selous in August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!