Would you hunt in Africa, in case the trophies could not be imported to your country?

Would you hunt in Africa, in case the trophies could not be imported to your country?

• Total voters

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
There are too many stories ongoing about trophy import bans here and there.

But, I personally think that worst thing that can happen is ban on hunting, only second worst thing is trophy import / export ban - but this I see as much lesser evil than banning the hunt altogether.

Would I hunt in Africa, in case of trophy import / export ban?
Yes.
Even without any ban, I am quite in favour of hunting tuskless ele, or non exportable ele, once in (distant) future.

Next thing, I am running out of space for my trophies at home, and I am sure that if I continue hunting in africa, (god willing, and health & finances allowing), I will reach the point of simply having no space for new trophies.
For first time African hunter, this probably is unthinkable, because first time African hunter will want some memorabilia.

Next thing, my photos are equially good memorabilia for me. Photo album. And even better, my daily journal of safari, that I write, every evening in African hunting camp.

But bottom line, banning trophy imports would not stop me hunting. At home, or in Africa.

So, I made this poll, to see where we as a community stand, and how much trophy import ban would affect our industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would continue to hunt in Africa if I could not bring a single animal home. I am only having a couple from my last hunt sent back and will only bring back maybe 2-3 from my next hunt. It is about the hunt and being there more than bringing trophy’s home to me.

My estimate of the "future bans", is that they cannot find argument to put blanket bans on all African trophies.
This in turn means: future beginners packages to be consisted of not banned species for first timers. This will satisfy begginers need to collect their memorabilia for first timers.

My second thought, is ethical and moral responsibitly for all outfitters on african continent to consider PR. To improve PR.

The African outfitters really already have THE BEST internet presence, and presentation through modern internet, they already have excellent foot print in media.
What they will need to further develop by using their internet and media tools, to put in first focus their actual conservation efforts, the numbers of game increasing in their range, antipoaching efforts and results, introduction the game in wild.
Personnaly, I wouldnt mind (infact, I would encourage) negative advertising like: unlike Kenyan model which lead to extintion of their eastern white rhino after total ban on hunting, by using of our conservation model, our white rhino populations is stable and increasing steadily, suported by hunters community..

No I would hunt elsewhere. If imports were banned totally, I would hunt more throughout America.

Normally we eat our game. I am less eager to hunt without a possible trophy or stocked freezer. Guess trophy fever and feeding the family are my motivations with hunting. Africa would offer neither if imports were banned

I’m sure this poll will be overwhelming yes, but they real question that won’t be answered is how much money would still be spent? Tuskless elephant hunts and non-trophy buffalo hunts don’t keep wild areas going by themselves. They supplement the outfitter’s/area’s income from higher dollar hunts. It is essentially the same principle on private land. Outfitters sell cull hunts or cow buffalo hunts in addition to trophy hunts, but they aren’t a stand alone business. If people continue hunting Africa but spend less money the industry will slowly fade away to land uses that generate more money.

I willl still go it is more about the experience and the adventure for me.

The flip side is taxidermy businesses would be hurt but no trophies would sure as hell be a lot cheaper!

For me the answer is a No.

While Africa presents the opportunity to hunt a wide variety of animals I personally don't have the funds to go back year after year after year as quite a few member of this forum do. I don't equate the experience with the memories that my mounts on the wall provide. Sure that experience is fun and enjoyable but it if that is all that I get out of it it just won't do.

I think the better question would be. Are you willing to pay the same prices for a non exportable hunt as a exportable one? Just as in the case of CBL lion hunts in South Africa costing one tenth the price or less of a wild hunt in Zambia or Tanzania. If they can not keep those areas going by hunting it will not matter if your able to bring it home or not. Are the government concessions able to run on less revenue? I would think not. So it comes down to are you willing to pay the price to hunt those places knowing your not able to bring anything home? I don’t think so as you can see from the amount of game ranch hunts compared to consessions is ten fold already. I would suspect this is due to them being a lot less costly
My answer is yes I would still hunt but I would not be willing to pay the price difference. I feel lucky that I have had the chance to hunt more than most and import a lot of it. That being said I have hunted and imported a elephant but I don’t think I would pay Botswana trophy elephant prices to hunt another one if I can hunt a tuskless in Zim for a lot less. If I cannot import them. Now if I can import a big bull from Botswana then I’m more willing to do that hunt for the added cost vs the tuskless hunt

Last edited:
Sure would! Already done so twice where I could not bring something back, and will do so again in the future.

Here's my 2 bits for all it's worth. If I was thinking of hunting Africa for the first time I would not go if I couldn't bring the trophies home. Now that I have hunted Africa I would probably go even if I couldn't bring back the trophies. So it's not an easy yes or no answer.

I would definitely go back. But that does not mean that I am indifferent about the subject. It is my dream to once go for an old tusker, he does not even need to be huge. And as a memory of that hunt, I’d love to have his tusks in my home.

Not being able to bring back the trophy does remove something from the total experience. In my work and daily life, I’m so far removed from hunting, that the single trophy I currently have at home, a Scottish stag, is a ‘souvenir’ that allows me to relive those moments again, each time my eyes wander over them. So not being able to look at those memories made physical through a trophy, does remove something for me.

It probably means that I would be more going for non-trophy animals. And as others mentioned it, I would not pay a premium for a trophy animal if I cannot take a trophy with me. The experience of the hunt does not care about the length of the horn.

Last edited:
Yes, I will hunt Africa even if there is a 100% ban on trophy exports. I wasn't planning on having any taxidermy done any way. I might have a euro mount done or a rug but I was planning to mostly rely on photography to remind me of the 'trophy'. The idea of hunting Africa is 90% about the African experience more than it is the game for me. Capstick, Ruark, Taylor and others ruined me. Yes, the idea of hunting game I've never seen in the wild before is very appealing but experiencing the African bush, African culture and African people is what excites me. If it was just about killing African game I could go to Texas and do that.

Probably not unless the trophy fees are dropped dramatically! Then probably only shoot animals that can be completely utilized, I already struggle with hunting predators for some reason even though I have hunted predators in the states, and my ultimate hunt has always been a leopard hunt but are out of my price range. I struggle with this but in no way condemn any one that does. I think us hunters need to stick together and not look down on others that hunt animals and use methods that we may not use or agree with as long as it is legal.

My cameras phone still works so I will still be able to record the results of the adventure. The experience of the hunt matters more than bragging rights in my basement. And the money saved on importing and taxidermy would be used to hunt more animals.

The goal is to stop hunting. Antis don't care about your shoulder mount they want hunting shut down. It is naive to believe after a trophy ban they would quit and allow us to go on hunting unabated.
If successful they will go hard at a hunting ban with things like shutting down flying with your firearms and most corporations are run by leftists or at least PR minded business folks who bend with every breeze.
If a trophy hunter who has been mislabeled successfully as a criminal who kills only for a head is evil, how much more so is the person who would kill for only a selfie? They don't care about facts and don't even acknowledge or respond to counter arguments given in rebuttal. Every time some hunter with a house and social media full of trophies, mounts or pictures, starts telling one of them how they hunt for conservation or just being in nature it just sends up the BS flag and they don't listen and neither do many on the fence.
I trophy hunt. I'm interested in conservation because I want to keep hunting. One feeds the other.
If I can keep nothing but the memories I'll likely go other places and for other species on my list but I'll aggravate the piss out of my politicians to change things just like the antis do.
Sorry for the rant, no coffee yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois