Would You Eat Slaughter-free Meat?

.facebook_1539991494678(1).jpg

This will be the rage until they find out an extra arm grows out your ass or it is known to the state of California to cause cancer in Richard Geers gerbils!
I will stick to good old fashioned hydrostatic death induced meat and the occasional fillet that has been properly brained!

Yea looking back I don't think that the system I mentioned should wholly replace conventional farming. My big goal is to try and find farming practices that can habituated long term coexistence with nature. Because things like cattle farming in the Amazon and palm oil farming I Indonesia are really detrimental.

Last edited:
How bout we just stop feeding the left wing nut bars? That should free up some production capacity.

Yea looking back I don't think that the system I mentioned should wholly replace conventional farming. My big goal is to try and find farming practices that can habituated long term coexistence with nature. Because things like cattle farming in the Amazon and palm oil farming I Indonesia are really detrimental.
Interesting, when did you visit cattle farms in the Amazon and Palm oil farms in Indonesia?

Interesting, when did you visit cattle farms in the Amazon and Palm oil farms in Indonesia?
Ok to be fair, most of what I know about the two mentioned farming methods comes from secondary sources as I haven't traveled there. I guess I should have put that as a disclaimer. Those were just the 2 examples I could think of concerning farms being a detriment to the environment. Even if I didn't like the trajectory now, I wouldn't just say stop it all rn because economies everywhere would go south asap (see post-1977 Kenya for that trainwreck).

Going back to the topic, I feel that this lab meat is nothing more than a fancy gimmick and once it hits the market, I expect it to fall off the hype train rather quickly, likely not becoming cheap enough to be a viable alternative to conventional meat.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45865403?SThisFB

We slaughter 70 billion animals each year to feed seven billion people, says Dr Uma Valeti, a cardiologist who founded California-based Memphis Meats, a leading cell-based meat company.

Tyson is the biggest meat processor in the US, processing around 424,000 pigs, 130,000 cows and 35 million chickens every week. So why is it investing in cellular meat?

Mind boggling numbers in the article in the OP.

As far as the carbon footprint of beef cattle, some of the numbers I've heard quoted are that it takes between 10-15 pounds of feed to add a pound to cattle. Not very efficient and results in a lot of manure. Chickens take about 2 pounds of feed to add a pound of body weight.

Mind boggling numbers in the article in the OP.

As far as the carbon footprint of beef cattle, some of the numbers I've heard quoted are that it takes between 10-15 pounds of feed to add a pound to cattle. Not very efficient and results in a lot of manure. Chickens take about 2 pounds of feed to add a pound of body weight.
Pigs are in the middle of that somewhere, fish are incredible being better than chicken. Especially those new biotech fish... actually they are not all that new. The technology was on the shelf for many years awaiting approval.

In fact there are many technologies on the shelf. Including cholesterol free pork.... love my bacon but on cholesterol pills so would love to have that come to market.

Us farmers can feed the World from current land base if allowed to use proven and safe technologies. And we can feed the increased needs of the future if research and development continues.

The problem is money is not continuing to be invested as in this environment of social media warriors and where public opinion is treated as fact and scientific facts are dismissed. Why invest to develop a new technology when the government won't allow it to enter the marketplace simply because of a handful of very vocal opponents, even though it passes every test? And then even if approved, the market becomes so misinformed that it doesn't make it to market.

Ok to be fair, most of what I know about the two mentioned farming methods comes from secondary sources as I haven't traveled there. I guess I should have put that as a disclaimer. Those were just the 2 examples I could think of concerning farms being a detriment to the environment. Even if I didn't like the trajectory now, I wouldn't just say stop it all rn because economies everywhere would go south asap (see post-1977 Kenya for that trainwreck).

Going back to the topic, I feel that this lab meat is nothing more than a fancy gimmick and once it hits the market, I expect it to fall off the hype train rather quickly, likely not becoming cheap enough to be a viable alternative to conventional meat.
Just please be careful what you say with your mouth full ;) One thing I have learned as I've had the opportunity to travel to a few more remote parts of the Planet, is how wrong many/most commonly accepted opinions of those places are.

That is the best part of hunting, IMO. Getting to see and experience the real World as it is, not as it is sold, or as it is presented on a photo safari. So much of that 'information " is just pure bullshit.

As for cellular meat, I see it as a financial threat to me. But can't say I oppose the technology for those who wish to utilize it. I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to embrace only the technologies that benefit me.

I'm afraid it will become a low cost source of protein, however at this time I don't expect it will have the taste and texture of a good steak or chop. The market will decide.

Just please be careful what you say with your mouth full ;) One thing I have learned as I've had the opportunity to travel to a few more remote parts of the Planet, is how wrong many/most commonly accepted opinions of those places are.

That is the best part of hunting, IMO. Getting to see and experience the real World as it is, not as it is sold, or as it is presented on a photo safari. So much of that 'information " is just pure bullshit.
I understand. So what are some examples of things you've seen that are contrary to what most people think besides hunting because that's obvious.

I understand. So what are some examples of things you've seen that are contrary to what most people think besides hunting because that's obvious.
rBST, recombinant Bovine Somatatropin. Probably the most environmentally friendly technology to ever hit the dairy industry. After 25 years of success, almost non existent anymore because retailers such as Wal Mart don't want to market it. Even though they have a policy of being Green Friendly.

Another is the fundraising for starving people. I was at a farming/irrigation project in Zimbabwe that was successfully supplying corn to the remote village of Chakwalla Kwalla (sp?) for many years. Then it was abandoned in 1974 and left to ruin because of US corn donations. So now rather than farm that land 12 months out of the year, the village men spend most of their time making homemade beer, and babies. And that 4'x4'x4' pallet of condoms delivered with Obama 's picture on the side? Yes, the women are using them to tie their hair....

Another is the fundraising for starving people. I was at a farming/irrigation project in Zimbabwe that was successfully supplying corn to the remote village of Chakwalla Kwalla (sp?) for many years. Then it was abandoned in 1974 and left to ruin because of US corn donations. So now rather than farm that land 12 months out of the year, the village men spend most of their time making homemade beer, and babies. And that 4'x4'x4' pallet of condoms delivered with Obama 's picture on the side? Yes, the women are using them to tie their hair....

That's sad.

Reminds me of when I was a young sport and went to the orchards with my father who earned extra money picking fruit. I would pick up the apples on the ground for cider. Puerto Ricans would come from their homeland and they made up the bulk of the summer fruit harvesting crews. Once the island came under the federal welfare, food stamp and Section 8 programs, they stopped coming to the U.S. Why work when I can sit on my ass at home and enjoy the same lifestyle? Who's picking those crops now? Mexicans and other Latin Americans. I assume there's no free lunch there.

Last edited:
Yea this is why I'm against welfare and a proponent of poverty-stricken individuals going under work programs and vocational schools and helping them become independent. The results aren't gonna be immediate (and there should be something to help with some things) but I feel that giving people a means of living while giving a hand with costs is a better solution for permanently escaping the poverty quagmire than plain old handouts.

Last edited:
What day of the first six did god make cellular nuggets from a feather?
I'm out!
God had a perfect plan and we're still screwing it up!

If I could get it or a kit to do my own, I would. When I buy a rib eye at the butcher I take pot luck. One that looks great can taste terrible. If they can make it a science and produce Whitefaced Rib Eye, I can put on a mask if I dont like the looks. Hell, I eat lobsters and I LOOK at them. I look at Oysters and they are delicious. Make me a Rib Eye with good taste, and I dont care what it looks like or where it came from.

... And that 4'x4'x4' pallet of condoms delivered with Obama 's picture on the side? Yes, the women are using them to tie their hair....
I heard in Namibia: "Why would I want to use a condom? Would you eat a snicker's bar with the wrapper on?" This was after attempts to explain diseases, especially HIV & AIDs with examples of deaths in their tribe from the associated activity.

Bottom line: you have to understand their culture and cater to them. You can't impose our values on their culture and be successful. If you haven't been there I would not trust what you hear in the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg