Would you be willing to transport a firearm?

Cam Moon

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello fellow AH members! I know this may be a long shot, but is there any USA members that will be driving up to Alberta Canada that would be willing to bring a rifle up for me? It's kinda a long story, but if anyone could help out, please send me a pm! Thank you!

Hello fellow AH members! I know this may be a long shot, but is there any USA members that will be driving up to Alberta Canada that would be willing to bring a rifle up for me? It's kinda a long story, but if anyone could help out, please send me a pm! Thank you!

I think you need to start this conversation with how you've worked out all the legal complications involved in this. I'm sure you've thought about it, but this is a (pardon the pun) loaded question without sharing such details.

Dito with what was posted above.

I doubt that anyone wants to end up in a Canadian jail for trying to do this.

Yeah, not an easy thing to do I suspect. They have a little different view of guns than we do here. I know hunters go there all the time, but it involves some amount of paperwork and legalities, and one is taking his own firearm up and presumably back to the states.

And there are lots of legal details, on both sides of the border. The best solution is to have a licensed firearms dealer in Canada import it, but that doesn’t address the US side of the equation. My guess is a Canadian dealer will decline to get involved. There are companies in the US which could handle the export of a rifle to an individual in Canada though, and that’s likely the best way to go. I had a rifle custom made in the US a few years ago and had to deal with paperwork on both sides of the border, but I used one of those companies (name now escapes me).

I will say this though: for an American to bring a gun into Canada with the intention of leaving it here, without anything further, would be a violation of Canadian law. And likely of US law as well.

Ok. Well if that's the case, my request isn't realistic at all!! I was going to get it shipped here, to a firearms dealer, and there was no issue with that aside from the exorbitant cost of shipping! So then my next plan was to get it shipped to Montana Shipping Outlet which is a shipping/receiving company that can be of service (especially to Southern Alberta residents) if someone would like something shipped somewhere within reasonable driving distance, but still within the US. I just found out today that they do not have a business FFL. I spoke with Canadian customs and was advised that there should be no issue with me transporting this firearm across the border with my licence. Then I thought maybe I would be able to ask if someone on AH may be a Northern Montana resident with a FFL that would be willing to receive it and then have me pick it up. From there I thought, maybe one step better would be if I found someone in the states that was already planning on being Alberta bound! I didn't realize it was that difficult for an American to bring a firearm into Canada. My apologies.

Ok. Well if that's the case, my request isn't realistic at all!! I was going to get it shipped here, to a firearms dealer, and there was no issue with that aside from the exorbitant cost of shipping! So then my next plan was to get it shipped to Montana Shipping Outlet which is a shipping/receiving company that can be of service (especially to Southern Alberta residents) if someone would like something shipped somewhere within reasonable driving distance, but still within the US. I just found out today that they do not have a business FFL. I spoke with Canadian customs and was advised that there should be no issue with me transporting this firearm across the border with my licence. Then I thought maybe I would be able to ask if someone on AH may be a Northern Montana resident with a FFL that would be willing to receive it and then have me pick it up. From there I thought, maybe one step better would be if I found someone in the states that was already planning on being Alberta bound! I didn't realize it was that difficult for an American to bring a firearm into Canada. My apologies.
The big issue as a Canadian is the USA export laws. For firearms, reloading components, scopes...the whole shebang. You can get yourself into trouble. I have imported a rifle with Reloading international. I can recommend them. Good luck, and share pictures!

I'm learning the same thing. According do customs Canada, no problem. It's the export from the US. That's surprising. LOL Anyways, I guess I'll explore other options, so thank you for letting me know about Reloading International.

Contrary to what the media leads on, the US isn’t a free for all on firearms purchasing. You as a Canadian, unless you are a Resident Alien with proper Documentation, can not purchase a firearm in the United States. Someone can not legally purchase/pick up from an FFL dealer on your behalf either. This would be considered a “straw purchase” by the BATFE and it comes with a vacation at the correctional facility. So there is no way to legally acquire and carry a firearm to you. Contact @BRICKBURN as he imported a 375 that he won a couple years ago and it seemed pretty painless.
Good luck Cam!

Taking your personal firearm into Canada and returning with it is very straightforward. Exporting a firearm is a very different kettle of fish with lots of legal pitfalls. I would not remotely consider this.

I will hang on to the rifle for you, free of charge, until you can get this all sorted :D

I'm learning the same thing. According do customs Canada, no problem. It's the export from the US. That's surprising. LOL Anyways, I guess I'll explore other options, so thank you for letting me know about Reloading International.
On the other side of an ocean, we have some individuals/companies that provide the service of getting firearm parts out of USA. People generally contact them when they find that a part is unobtainium in Europe. Obviously there's a price on the service.

@Red Leg I wouldn't say I'd blame you for not remotely considering it. Especially after @Bullthrower338 mentioned the correctional facility vacation!
@cagkt3 Is there any way I could talk you into using it as well? You know, quality control etc. o_O:rolleyes:

I doubt that anyone wants to end up in a Canadian jail for trying to do this.

But if you must do time in prison, Canada has 5 star Lock-ups! Their prison cells are like College Dorm rooms.
Canadian citizens locked up in U.S. Federal Prisons accept longer plea deals if they can serve their time in Canada...Just sayin?

If you are in Alberta, contact Prophet River in Lloydminster. They will do it all for $250. Easy. You DO NOT want to be caught in an export check by the US customs officials.

Reactions: cls
I have both Canadian and US Citizenship and have moved with my firearms across the border three times. As a result, I have become all too familiar with the firearms regulations north and south of the 49th. I am in total agreement with others advice, you cannot legally have someone in the US pick up a firearm for you and transport it to Canada for export/import. This must be done through registered dealers.

On a humorous note, you guys should have seen the look on the Canadian officer’s face at the Yukon border when I showed up with 22 long guns and
three or four hundred pounds of ammo in my rig! I had my PAL (possession & acquisition license) and Canadian registration for each of them. Poor guy, when I handed him the stack of registrations his eyes got huge and he asked if I had all of these firearms with me. I don’t think he wanted to deal with it, he told me to just keep moving

I have both Canadian and US Citizenship and have moved with my firearms across the border three times. As a result, I have become all too familiar with the firearms regulations north and south of the 49th. I am in total agreement with others advice, you cannot legally have someone in the US pick up a firearm for you and transport it to Canada for export/import. This must be done through registered dealers.

On a humorous note, you guys should have seen the look on the Canadian officer’s face at the Yukon border when I showed up with 22 long guns and
three or four hundred pounds of ammo in my rig! I had my PAL (possession & acquisition license) and Canadian registration for each of them. Poor guy, when I handed him the stack of registrations his eyes got huge and he asked if I had all of these firearms with me. I don’t think he wanted to deal with it, he told me to just keep moving
I have always found the CRMP to be very easy to deal with when crossing the border. The paperwork is straight forward and inexpensive. I just wish all the Canadian people had less restrictions on firearms for their sake.

Contrary to what the media leads on, the US isn’t a free for all on firearms purchasing. You as a Canadian, unless you are a Resident Alien with proper Documentation, can not purchase a firearm in the United States. Someone can not legally purchase/pick up from an FFL dealer on your behalf either. This would be considered a “straw purchase” by the BATFE and it comes with a vacation at the correctional facility. So there is no way to legally acquire and carry a firearm to you. Contact @BRICKBURN as he imported a 375 that he won a couple years ago and it seemed pretty painless.
Good luck Cam!

“Irunguns” brought my new .416 prize into Canada . It was the least expensive alternative for importing a firearm available.
Easy, no hassle process from my experience.
Ps. They operate directly into Alberta

Last edited:
I have always found the CRMP to be very easy to deal with when crossing the border. The paperwork is straight forward and inexpensive. I just wish all the Canadian people had less restrictions on firearms for their sake.

I certainly agree with you, but are you aware that it is much easier for an American to take a gun into Canada than it is for a Canadian to bring a gun into the States? BATF regs for temporary import are ridiculous.

True. Coming up you can just show up at the border fill out a form, pay the fee and you are on your way.

It used to be worse going south. All paper and the wait.
Now at least I can email the completed form with a copy of a hunting license to the ATF and it will be approved in short order and emailed back to me.
At least the ATF 6NIA itself is still free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,