Worst Shot Turned Out To Be The Best Shot

dwerner

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Most cattle ranchers in Namibia hunt plains game for the meat and not for their trophies. So one aim is always to have the least damage to the meat which is why some farmers tend to shoot at the neck or head.

I was once accompanying a farmer who shot a kudu. The wounded kudu ran away and when we followed the tracks there was blood everywhere. On the ground, the grass was covered, and in the trees. The kudu did not make it far, about 100m. Upon inspection the bullet severed the main artery to the head as if it's throat was cut. The kudu was totally bled out.

But the funny part was that the farmer apparently aimed for the vital area behind the front leg and instead shot it in the neck. I must add that it was a quick free standing shot.

owenowen

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
Hi,

On a slightly different note, once my Uncle told me a true story as a small child that he was out on a hunt in the Eastern Cape when he shot at a moutain reedbuck and the same shot went right through and hit a klipspringer stone dead ! 2 species one shot :)

Umebo

Reaction score
Member of
Swedish Hunters Association
Hunted
Sweden, New Zeeland, South Africa
Nosejob

An older gentleman hunting moose on the same area as I do once by mistake shot a moose bull straight through the nose. I was called there to start tracking it with one of the dogs but it lay dead about 100 meters away. Apparently it had drowned in its own blood. Sometimes you are lucky!

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
Something happened with my brother, but with a blesbok and an impala. Both stone dead.

BryceM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Namibia
Just after the dinosaurs left, my dad and I were hunting antelope in Idaho. We kept jumping this same little bunch near a certain field. They consistently ran off the same way each time. The next time we got smart. My dad dropped me off near the escape route and he drove over to where they usually were. Sure enough the little herd ran right past me. I picked out the buck and fired. I was thrilled to see the buck laying right where I shot him. We went over to get him and found him stone-cold dead. The funny thing was that we couldn't see the bullet hole.

We gutted him out and again - no hole. It was right around then that we noticed the width of the horns kept changing. Apparently I had shot him in the head. Apart from being an excited 15 year-old I have no other excuse. I was shooting from a bipod in a sitting position. I tried to play it cool, and tell my dad that I did this on purpose. Ha! In retrospect, my shooting was really horrible in those days. Every once in a while it's better to be lucky than good.

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
My 9 year old son shot a blue wildebeest through the carotid artery with his 243. From the way it acted, we thought it was a good heart shot (which at 40-50 yards from a stand, it should have been!) As it slowed down and staggered to a fall, we noticed it was spraying blood everywhere. It went about 40 yards and dropped dead.

If I thought there was any way to do it reliably, I'd take it as a preferential shot. Just no possible way you could lose the animal: the blood trail wouldn't be much better if you used a paint roller to make it. It is really too bad that it is sheer luck to hit it.

Craig Willey

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA & Germany
This past winter I made bad shot on a red deer. Shot through some brush at about 50 meters aiming at the heart/lung spot. The bullet struck a small limb, and went 30 cm to the right, cutting right through the neck arteries; missed the spine. He hit the ground on the spot, kicked with his hind legs in a circle for about 20 seconds, and was dead. I stood there dumbfounded for about 5 minutes expecting him to jump up and run. There were only a couple of drops of blood on the ground, and it took a minute to figure out where I hit him. There was a small entrance wound on the front of his R-shoulder, and a small exit on the L-neck; both holes only had a couple of drops of blood around them. When I field dressed him, he had a golf-ball sized wound channel through most arteries and veins in the neck.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Some days it just pays to be lucky.

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The best bad shot going well is a femoral artery hit. A huge blood trail and animal dead in about 50 yds.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Hunt enough and weird things happen. Many years ago, I shot a whitetail with a .300 Savage (basically .308 ballistics) and he dropped at the shot. It was very late, and my intent had been to hit him in the base of the neck. I threw him whole in the truck and carried him the skinning shed where I realized that I had hit him very low in the chest, forward of the shoulder. Upon gutting and skinning, I discovered the bullet had gone through the brisket muscles without penetrating the chest cavity or cutting any major arteries. I have no idea what killed that buck.

Craig Willey

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA & Germany
Maybe a bullet fragment broke off and hit the magic kill button. I shot a deer last year with .308 Win 168 TTSX, did a heart/lung passed through, came out at a 45 degree angle, and hit another deer 25 yards away. A heard of red deer came out, and I waited until one cleared the group, with enough room that I don't injure another animal, but the bullet had another idea. The second deer was hit in the shoulder and stunned, so I dropped it with a second shot. I love that TTSX and TSX. I must hunt lead-free, and got 6 animals with 6 shots last season from 168 TTSX and 150 TSX.

Jumo Jaeger

Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I hunted mule deer with my friend and his dad. His dad was an ER doc. We used 30-06s and a sporterized .303. we were hunting for venison, not trophies.

We always aimed for the neck. Over three seasons, we got five deer - always with neck shots. Sometimes we missed but never found any blood. We never had to track a wounded deer. But every neck hit anchored the deer. One time a 30-06 bullet found its way all the way down the center of the spinal canal.

Do how come plains game hunters don't use neck shots?

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
When I was a teenager, I hunted mule deer with my friend and his dad. His dad was an ER doc. We used 30-06s and a sporterized .303. we were hunting for venison, not trophies.

We always aimed for the neck. Over three seasons, we got five deer - always with neck shots. Sometimes we missed but never found any blood. We never had to track a wounded deer. But every neck hit anchored the deer. One time a 30-06 bullet found its way all the way down the center of the spinal canal.

Do how come plains game hunters don't use neck shots?
Ruins the mount.

PARA45

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I shot a deer with my Ruger Model 77, MK-II, shooting 180 grs Accubond reloads. I hit this deer behind the shoulder, and the deer collapsed. As I chamber another round into the rifle, the deer jumped up and ran. I sat in my stand scratching my head in disbelieve. I walked up to where the deer was, and there was a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed. I found the deer dead about 75+ yds in the woods. When I opened him up, the heart was almost cut in half and the lungs were nicely turned into mush. I still don't know how this deer ran like nothing.

archer36

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I shot a deer with my Ruger Model 77, MK-II, shooting 180 grs Accubond reloads. I hit this deer behind the shoulder, and the deer collapsed. As I chamber another round into the rifle, the deer jumped up and ran. I sat in my stand scratching my head in disbelieve. I walked up to where the deer was, and there was a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed. I found the deer dead about 75+ yds in the woods. When I opened him up, the heart was almost cut in half and the lungs were nicely turned into mush. I still don't know how this deer ran like nothing.
They say African Game are tough. I think a Whitetail Deer has them beat.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Some days it just pays to be lucky.
I will take lucky whenever it comes my way.

A couple of years ago I was hunting for as old and worn out a dugga boy as I could find. I had tracked lots of buffalo over 10 days, but they were always too good looking to shoot at. Finally, early in the morning of my last day, we came across a small herd of bulls feeding. One way exactly what I was looking for.

The distance was about 80 yards. He had no idea we were there. Everything was perfect. No rush. I lined up his shoulder with my .375 (TTSX). I took a deep breath, let it out and slowly squeezed the trigger. All the time in the world. At the shot, the buff didn't buck or jump. He and his mates joined up and stared at us (malevolently, I would say) from about 60 yards. My PH said "don't move but be ready". Ever the optimist, I whispered "I must have missed." The reply "not if that fountain of blood shooting from his neck is any indication."

The others left and our buffalo went into the reeds and tall grass. We went in slowly, and by the time we found him, he was down but still very much alive, bleeding another gusher every time he swung his neck to try to get us. (No one told him, I guess, that he had no horns left - clearly buffalo spare a thought for each others' feelings).

It took him a while to bleed out, but I think by the time he was done, most of his blood supply was sprayed on and around him.

DSC02090.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC02090.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

arizonajake

AH member
Reaction score
A buddy and I were on the highway one day, when we passed a coyote which was watching cars go by, about 50 yards from the highway. My friend, who was driving, stopped and got out of the truck, went quietly behind a bush and took at shot at the coyote, which was focused on me, with his .357 magnum S & W M-19. At the shot, the coyote fell as if hit by lightning. About 15 seconds later, as we were approaching him to skin him, he got up shaking his head and took off running as if he were drunk, never to be seen again. We concluded the bullet must have bounced off the top of his skull, knocking him out for a few seconds, causing him nothing more than a bad headache. Worst shot turned out best for the coyote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrvingOxice

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...