Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, DSC
Hunted
USA, CANADA, AFRICA
I hunted with Monterra safaris back in May of this year, 2021. You can read my hunting report from July 25th. On that hunt I had an opportunity to take a cape buffalo that was giving them some problems. Of course, my only bad shot of the entire hunt was on this buffalo. Not nervous, not in a bad position, just flat out pulled it to the right. I felt terrible as the PH’s had put me in the perfect spot at the right time and I blew it. On top of that I felt bad for the animal who is now hurt and wounded. My shot went too far forward, entering and exiting his brisket. He bled enough, though finally down to very small droplets, then stopping all together that we were able to track him for 3 days until the blood trail quit. We bumped him twice but no shots were taken as he ran away instead of towards us. I even hired a helicopter for ½ day to try to find him. My time ran out and I had to leave with him still out there. The PH’s and I discussed that if they found him hurting and the lions or hyenas haven’t taken him that they would shoot him. Or if they found his skull, they would let me know. About 2 months later I received a call from Almayne Hughes (PH), and Ross Hare (PH and owner of the property) that they found the buff. ALIVE and THRIVING! They recognized the distinct bosses and horns and the oxpeckers on the entry and exit wound sites confirmed. He had rejoined the herd and was fat and sassy. Their question to me “shall we shot him for you or do you want to shoot him?”. Now my budget was stretched with my first trip in May but he was thriving and not in pain and I was obsessed with having left him there so I said I will go shoot him! ( I have a most understanding wife) Arrangements were made and I made the trip the first 2 weeks of October. It took about 3 days but we found him crossing a large plain. After squat running and then sneaking from bush to bush the buff came into range. At about the 50 yard mark Almayne set up the sticks and I brought the .458 Win Mag to bear. I didn’t pull to the right this time as the bullet his shoulder and both lungs. He ran softly about 30? yards and turned to face us but he was dead on his feet. Another opposite shoulder shot knocked him down and then the finishing spine shot brought the final bellow. Close inspection showed the healed scars from my errant shot months before. An emotional close to the world’s longest buffalo hunt.

He green scored 42”. Since I was there the guys put me on a really nice 51” kudu for icing on the cake. I can’t speak highly enough of the way Monterra Safaris treated me on this odyssey of mine. Not only in their hunting knowledge and professionalism but in their kindness and compassion towards me and their conservation ideals.
IMG-20211006-WA0012.jpg

I hunted with Monterra safaris back in May of this year, 2021. You can read my hunting report from July 25th. On that hunt I had an opportunity to take a cape buffalo that was giving them some problems. Of course, my only bad shot of the entire hunt was on this buffalo. Not nervous, not in a bad position, just flat out pulled it to the right. I felt terrible as the PH’s had put me in the perfect spot at the right time and I blew it. On top of that I felt bad for the animal who is now hurt and wounded. My shot went too far forward, entering and exiting his brisket. He bled enough, though finally down to very small droplets, then stopping all together that we were able to track him for 3 days until the blood trail quit. We bumped him twice but no shots were taken as he ran away instead of towards us. I even hired a helicopter for ½ day to try to find him. My time ran out and I had to leave with him still out there. The PH’s and I discussed that if they found him hurting and the lions or hyenas haven’t taken him that they would shoot him. Or if they found his skull, they would let me know. About 2 months later I received a call from Almayne Hughes (PH), and Ross Hare (PH and owner of the property) that they found the buff. ALIVE and THRIVING! They recognized the distinct bosses and horns and the oxpeckers on the entry and exit wound sites confirmed. He had rejoined the herd and was fat and sassy. Their question to me “shall we shot him for you or do you want to shoot him?”. Now my budget was stretched with my first trip in May but he was thriving and not in pain and I was obsessed with having left him there so I said I will go shoot him! ( I have a most understanding wife) Arrangements were made and I made the trip the first 2 weeks of October. It took about 3 days but we found him crossing a large plain. After squat running and then sneaking from bush to bush the buff came into range. At about the 50 yard mark Almayne set up the sticks and I brought the .458 Win Mag to bear. I didn’t pull to the right this time as the bullet his shoulder and both lungs. He ran softly about 30? yards and turned to face us but he was dead on his feet. Another opposite shoulder shot knocked him down and then the finishing spine shot brought the final bellow. Close inspection showed the healed scars from my errant shot months before. An emotional close to the world’s longest buffalo hunt.

He green scored 42”. Since I was there the guys put me on a really nice 51” kudu for icing on the cake. I can’t speak highly enough of the way Monterra Safaris treated me on this odyssey of mine. Not only in their hunting knowledge and professionalism but in their kindness and compassion towards me and their conservation ideals.View attachment 431495
Good on you. That bull would have haunted you the rest of your days. And a magnificent animal he is.

Congratulations! I know the feeling of making a bad shot on a buff. Did the same thing this year in Limpopo, but we got him down the next day.

Congratulations!!!

Congrats everything turned out right for you, and a very nice bull too !

First thank your wife for being understanding and supportive!!! Second You did the honorable thing and properly concluded your buffalo hunt from start to finish!!! Plus kudo's to the Monterra safaris team.

Something I like about this post is it shows a lot of integrity on the part of your outfitter and PH. You paid the trophy fee when you drew blood the first time, really good of them to identify your buffalo, and give you opportunity to complete your hunt.

Thanks yall

Something I like about this post is it shows a lot of integrity on the part of your outfitter and PH. You paid the trophy fee when you drew blood the first time, really good of them to identify your buffalo, and give you opportunity to complete your hunt.
You are exactly right 375Fox. That's one of the reasons I wrote this story, to show what good looks like.

Well done @JimT, to get a second chance at an outstanding bull, and you made it right!
Hats off to Monterra Safaris getting back in touch with you and giving you the options. They could have re-sold that buff to another hunter and doubled the money. Stand up outfit!

Fantastic result abs i too applaud the crew at Monterra and your wife for letting that play out this way!congrats!

Excellent bull and sounds like a great, great operation you hunted with. Well done to both sides

Well done, nice buffalo.

Jim T, congratulations on doing things right. Nice Buff BTW. I hope you got your better half a little something for being so considerate, she deserves it.
She might have got a couple of the pretty little shiny things South Africa is known for. You learn a few tricks during 37 years of marriage LOL

Jim T, UNDERSTOOD!! You don't get to 37 without "learning a few things" and making an effort. "We" are working on 58 and I wouldn't trade mine for any that I know of. Both of us have picked up a few trinkets and baubles along the way.

That is great! So glad you got him, and the Buffalo is a beauty!! Did you post pics of the kudu too?

After a 2 hour stalk in 107F baking heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg