World's Largest Ivory Burn Delivered A Strong Message—But Who Received It?

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
2-worldslarges.jpg

Media coverage of the torching of huge caches of ivory presented a strong message against elephant poaching and ivory trade, but many of those who needed to hear it most may not have received it, an international study has found.

University of Queensland researcher Alexander Braczkowski said an examination of the global media coverage of the world's largest ivory burn in Kenya in 2016, revealed that coverage disproportionately reached western audiences.

Mr Braczkowski, of UQ's School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said the study was the first to assess the potential impact of the destruction of more than 105 tonnes of ivory, worth roughly US$100 million (A$128 million) on the black market.

"Our study found 81 per cent of online media coverage was produced in the United States, which has few elephant poachers and few consumers of illegally-sourced ivory," Mr Braczkowski said.

"Both print and online media coverage was weaker in ivory-consuming countries such as China, and 59 per cent of Chinese coverage was in English, which may not have reached all target audiences."

UQ School of Biological Sciences and Griffith University researcher Dr Duan Biggs said with no real measure of the effectiveness of these conservation marketing events, there is no way of judging if they achieve their objectives of reducing ivory demand and supporting elephant conservation.

"If ivory consumers, poachers, dealers and policy makers were the intended audiences, then a strategy of sustained media pressure to extend news coverage to weeks or months may have been better to effect change.

"These destruction events should also coincide with key meetings of policy makers, with more leaders of source, transit and demand countries invited to attend," he said.

Screenshot (304).png

ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions Dr Matthew Holden said governments, donors and NGOs should introduce monitoring around events such as ivory burns.

"There is an urgent need for measures of media reach, and how messages are received, and whether it changes attitudes in ivory demand countries," Dr Holden said.

"For example, does it cause fluctuations in raw and worked ivory prices, or impact the levels of consumer demand for ivory products?"

Source: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-world-largest-ivory-strong-messagebut.html

Thanks for sharing!

"There is an urgent need for measures of media reach, and how messages are received, and whether it changes attitudes in ivory demand countries," Dr Holden said. ..................

Actually studying efficacy? That would undercut the propaganda machine.
The governments would have to adopt SCIENCE as a policy driver.

I hope you can sell it, but the HSUS won't like the lack of support for their propaganda campaigns.:rolleyes:

So stupid in so many ways....:(

The absolute best thing to do in black Africa is to say that poaching brings BAD LUCK! The black Africans are supremely superstitious. Get a couple poachers proclaiming what their ill gotten gains got them in the way of misfortune and it will spread like wildfire. Blast it on social media, facebook, twitter, etc. Keep pumping the info until it's "common knowledge".

If any thing they jumped for joy . If they would have sold that cache it might have driven down the price. The only people that these demonstrations help are the clueless antis to make them feel better about themselves.

If any thing they jumped for joy . If they would have sold that cache it might have driven down the price. The only people that these demonstrations help are the clueless antis to make them feel better about themselves.
Roger that, like book burning was to the Nazis.

Shocking! I would never have guessed that burning all this ivory would have 0 positive effect on elephant conservation...

This really helps to highlight the issue with the antis. By demonstrating thier inability to mobilize media coverage in the countries where this burning might actually matter, they reveal the fact that the whole effort was really just designed to bring in more donations from westerners- padding thier organization's pockets rather than actually helping any elephants.

Shocking! I would never have guessed that burning all this ivory would have 0 positive effect on elephant conservation...

This really helps to highlight the issue with the antis. By demonstrating thier inability to mobilize media coverage in the countries where this burning might actually matter, they reveal the fact that the whole effort was really just designed to bring in more donations from westerners- padding thier organization's pockets rather than actually helping any elephants.
Yessir. A flashy display to get the backers cheering and cutting loose funds. This has New Jersey cat lady (as Rinella says) written all over it.

I disagree with the question posed at the end of the video.

It states: " so the question remains: should ivory be burned or... legally traded?"

I think the video answered its own question. Clearly burning ivory fails to achieve anything significant other then PR. Trade on the other hand, especially if well managed, has the potential to achieve so much. We can only hope .

I had an African PH at DSC ask me if I ever tried to burn Ivory. He seemed to think it doesn’t really burn and a lot of this is for show, and then they sell it

Our study found 81 per cent of online media coverage was produced in the United States, which has few elephant poachers and few consumers of illegally-sourced ivory," Mr Braczkowski said.

:E Doh: this would seem to show a total lack of planning and messaging....unless a $100M marketing campaign was directed at the American market for their anti-hunting conservation dollars. If that is the case, then how much do you earn from that! And, what if some conspiracy nut, not me of course, figured that there was a lot more ivory that made it to market. And, this was just a piece of the pie designed to make a show. Seems like a great business model if one was to assume unscrupulous elements were at work....that would make a great premise for a work of fiction, surely.

Same people burning are complaining about global warming.

Africa just doesn’t seem or want to just get it right on so many issues. I guess with corruption rampid wildlife stands little chance for future generations. Sad .

Africa just doesn’t seem or want to just get it right on so many issues. I guess with corruption rampid wildlife stands little chance for future generations. Sad .

From what I've seen and experienced in RSA, the future is on another planet. Spend money on maintaining the infrastructure? Nope, easier to steal that money and buy the Lamborghini, add more wives, fix up the mansions and make sure you have a nice wardrobe. Yep, Sad.

I had an African PH at DSC ask me if I ever tried to burn Ivory. He seemed to think it doesn’t really burn and a lot of this is for show, and then they sell it

He could be correct:

Research performed by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) in 2008, found burning to be an inefficient and highly challenging way to destroy ivory when compared to crushing.[31][47] Like human teeth, elephant tusks are resistant to burning. Simple burning typically just chars the outside; it requires extreme conditions over a long period of time to destroy ivory effectively. Using specialized equipment to burn a tusk at 1,800 °F (1,000 °C), its weight decreases by only 0.25 ounces (7 g) each minute (an average African elephant tusk is about 50 lb (23 kg) and can weigh as much as 130 lb (59 kg).[17][31][48][49] For each of Kenya's burns, organizers used jet oil to increase the temperature and it still persists for about a week.[17]

When only the outside is affected, the inner ivory is still commercially viable. As there are not yet verified techniques for identifying ivory that was previously burned, some have expressed concerns regarding the possible use of some of the burned stockpiles.[31]

A rock crusher during the 2013 ivory crush in the United States
Hollister, the original "burn architect" who invented the technique in 1989, was asked to lead the 2016 burn, which was many times bigger than the first. He acknowledged that ivory doesn't really burn: "we have to raise the temperature in the fires to such a degree that it actually disintegrates. We're going to create [that] by combining kerosene and diesel and compressed air, pushing it at very high pressure, about 16 bar, down a pipe."[50] The question of the effectiveness of the destruction – even the possibility that some of the partially combusted ivory may find its way back to the black market – is a touchy subject. "It's heresy to consider any other form of destruction, leave alone finding any other way to use the ivory or utilise wildlife resources."[51]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_ivory

Attachments

• 220px-Ivory_Crush_2013_%2810897641734%29.jpg
    220px-Ivory_Crush_2013_%2810897641734%29.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 105

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross