World’s Fastest Land Animal Making A Comeback To India For The First Time In 70 Years

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Eight Cheetahs from Namibia will soon make India their home, the government has announced. The Asiatic cheetahs were declared to be officially extinct in 1952 in India.

Now, thanks to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that the Indian government signed with Namibia, eight cheetahs shall be brought to the country in what was described by one minister as a “historic” pact.

India’s environment minister Bhupender Yadav and Namibia’s deputy prime minister and foreign minister Netumbo Nandi Ndaitwah signed the MoU, Wednesday, on wildlife conservation and sustainable biodiversity utilization for “establishing the cheetah into the historical range in India,” a statement said.

The cheetahs shall be brought to the Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh.
The statement added that “while the current carrying capacity for Kuno National Park is a maximum of 21 cheetahs, once restored the larger landscape can hold about 36 cheetahs. The carrying capacity can be further enhanced by including the remaining part of the Kuno Wildlife Division (1,280 sq km) through prey restoration.”

Screenshot_5.jpg

The question i have in mind, are african cheetahs, same species as asian cheetahs?
Otherwise, excellent initiative!

I have enjoyed visiting India, and hope to do so again. Until my visit, I thought that the population (soon to be the most populous Country on Earth) was the direct threat to wildlife. I learned a lot while there. One principal threat to predators is people eating their food........killing off their potential prey. Not simply loss of habitat or direct killing of the cats. Hope this re-intro goes well. There are a lot of challenges...............FWB

It is a shame the Asianic cheetah in Iran are almost to single digit numbers with only 2 or 3 females left. No doubt, they will be extinct in our lifetimes. Cheetahs are hard to breed, I would wonder if an African female could even breed with an Asianic male. You would at least secure some bloodline.

Here is a lesser enthusiastic writeup on india.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you