Woodleigh vs Norma

OxfordTheCat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Never have had access to Woodleigh ammunition, but contemplating some entry level reloading and Woodleigh bullets would be an option.

Am I correct in thinking that the Woodleigh bonded and the Norma Oryx basically in the same category and could be viewed as interchangeable?

Or am I missing something in their construction?

The Woodleighs seem to have much more in the reputation department, but I'm wondering if that comes down availability of ammunition in the marketplace, as opposed to a referendum on the bullet quality between Woodleigh and Norma.

6.5 and 9.3 are the most relevant calibres, but I'll take any comments.

Thoughts, musings and insights welcome.

If you are considering Woodleigh SN and Norma Oryx...
Why not also take a look at Swift A-Frames.
All are copper jacketed with bonded lead core construction.
Get all three and see what shoots the best in your rifle.

Well, at least in 375, the Oryx is 300g while the Woodleigh is 350g. The Woodleigh comes in expanding and FMJ.

I believe the African PH ammo was designed to re-create Kynoch ammo.

I’m Australian so I’m biased toward Woodleigh. The guys from Woodleigh have an unlimited supply of buffalo in northern Australia to test any of their bullets on too, and they have a great reputation.

The truth is though that both companies make great bullets, I think you can’t go wrong with either and both make bullets that are far superior to what was being used back in the day.

Norma may do the same, but I’m pretty sure that the Woodleigh Round Nose Soft Points are designed to behave the same as their Round Nose Solids so you can have a soft point followed by solids in your magazine or have on in each barrel without problems with changing point of impact. This may be what Norma and others do too.

Why not get a small pack of each and test them to see what your rifle prefers and also do some tests on wet cardboard etc. let us know how it goes

i am an aussie and prefer swift.
over the years i have seen a lot of aussie firearms related products where the manufacturers have to put it mildly failed to reach for the stars.
they have been able to get away with second rate products and services due to australian national loyalty.
norma used to use woodleigh, and it makes you wonder why not now.
bruce.

over the years i have seen a lot of aussie firearms related products where the manufacturers have to put it mildly failed to reach for the stars.
they have been able to get away with second rate products and services due to australian national loyalty.
bruce.

Good question. I thought Norma still loaded Woodleigh Bullets in the big calibers.

bruce.
Norma still load Woodleighs in their African PH line of ammunition.

Never have had access to Woodleigh ammunition, but contemplating some entry level reloading and Woodleigh bullets would be an option.

Am I correct in thinking that the Woodleigh bonded and the Norma Oryx basically in the same category and could be viewed as interchangeable?

The Woodleighs seem to have much more in the reputation department, but I'm wondering if that comes down availability of ammunition in the marketplace, as opposed to a referendum on the bullet quality between Woodleigh and Norma.

I've used a lot of both Woodleighs and the Norma Oryx projectiles, both are great all round bullets being soft nose bonded. I have used Woodleighs in 308, 30-06, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffery out in the field on pigs, brumbies, scrub bulls and buffalo and never had a failure and always performed outstandingly. A couple of links below to some Woodleighs I have tested, the tests are not the same as real world hunting conditions but gives you an idea on performance.

my one big gripe about Norma bullets...I can't ever seem to find them in stock for either .264 or .366, except somebody always has the 325 gr Oryx in stock.

shooting Woodleigh 160s out of my Swede, my son killed a doe last year, one shot kill. I haven't taken anything yet with them, but they are accurate.

i always seem to be able to find woodleighs somewhere.

I do not like Norma ammunition but I wil say that does not include their bullets. I have never shot them because their load their safari ammo with other mfg bullets. Why is that? In large caliber I have seen woodleigh softs fail on two buffalo. Might have been a bad batch, who knows. But they did fail. I only load swift a frame in anything larger than 300 win mag for my soft bullet. Just saying but do your research. There are negative reports on every bullet but very few on swift. My two cents

I do not like Norma ammunition but I wil say that does not include their bullets. I have never shot them because their load their safari ammo with other mfg bullets. Why is that? In large caliber I have seen woodleigh softs fail on two buffalo. Might have been a bad batch, who knows. But they did fail. I only load swift a frame in anything larger than 300 win mag for my soft bullet. Just saying but do your research. There are negative reports on every bullet but very few on swift. My two cents
What was the failure you saw with the Woodleighs? Penetration?

two issues i have with woodleigh.
of all the game bullets i have used, they are the least accurate.
accurate enough for most things, but not all.
the other is their narrow range of optimum performance.
game too big or too small, and narrow velocity range for best terminal performance leave them wanting in certain areas.
their standard of performance seems to vary from lot to lot in the above areas as well.
that said i keep 100 loaded in 1 calibre for specialized uses.
i would not use them in the 7mmstw.
bruce.

bruce.
Oh Bruce, you had to break out of the moulds and be the odd one out.

Aussie products are great,

Bruce does have a shit ton of experience so I’m not arguing just looking for a bite.

Not all like Woodleigh but The ones I tried worked, maybe the technology is old as some are like old style Kynoch and they suit certain cartridges and the appropriate leadings.

I would like to test my Woodleigh Hydros on a Buff and make my own assessment.

Bruce, What about the current generation Lithgow Crossover rifles? Australian made , I thought they were onto a good thing until they caved to the 6.5Latte variety.

chris,
sierra and speer will kill pigs, goats and deer better than woodleigh and are more accurate to boot.
i would put money on swift aframes on buff before any solid.
but i am not referring to solids here as i never use them.
i don't like crossovers as general hunting rifles. their design is not the best form for function.
they are aimed at the current trends rather than based on what works best as an all round hunting rifle.
lithgow wants to make money, so they make a rifle like that and chamber it for the manbun to put the icing on the cake.
bruce.

The one place where Weldcore 160 vs Orxy 156 has a hands-down winner is in BC. Weldcore comes in at 0.509, and Oryx comes in at 0.348. Assuming MV of 2500, Weldcore reaches 325 yds before it falls below 2K fps, Oryx only reaches 225 yards.

What was the failure you saw with the Woodleighs? Penetration?

Zimbabwe 2018 my hunting buddy shot a buffalo in the head and shoulder. These two shots did not penetrate through the bone. He needed two other shots into the lungs without hitting the shoulder to kill the buffalo. The one in the head did not hit the boss. We only knew this after the fact when butchering the animal. These were Norma factory ammo in .470 NE loaded with woodleigh softs

@Oxford the Cat
A 35 cal 225 grain Woodleigh PPSP retrieved from a large Burchells zebra stallion. Impact velocity of 2,700 fps. It is the only woodleigh I've retrieved
Bob
20200409_085629.jpg

chris,
sierra and speer will kill pigs, goats and deer better than woodleigh and are more accurate to boot.
i would put money on swift aframes on buff before any solid.
but i am not referring to solids here as i never use them.
i don't like crossovers as general hunting rifles. their design is not the best form for function.
they are aimed at the current trends rather than based on what works best as an all round hunting rifle.
lithgow wants to make money, so they make a rifle like that and chamber it for the manbun to put the icing on the cake.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
In my 35 Whelen I get three quarter inch groups at 100 yards using Woodleigh PPSP 225 grainers. That is pushing them to 2,950 fps which is well over their recommend 2,700 fps max . There performance on game from pigs to zebra left nothing to be desired. My burchells zebra stallion was also very large.
Bob

my one big gripe about Norma bullets...I can't ever seem to find them in stock for either .264 or .366, except somebody always has the 325 gr Oryx in stock.

shooting Woodleigh 160s out of my Swede, my son killed a doe last year, one shot kill. I haven't taken anything yet with them, but they are accurate.

i always seem to be able to find woodleighs somewhere.

Opposite here in Canada: Norma bullets abound, but Woodleighs and Swift A Frames seem to be hard to come by.

I've used a lot of both Woodleighs and the Norma Oryx projectiles, both are great all round bullets being soft nose bonded. I have used Woodleighs in 308, 30-06, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffery out in the field on pigs, brumbies, scrub bulls and buffalo and never had a failure and always performed outstandingly. A couple of links below to some Woodleighs I have tested, the tests are not the same as real world hunting conditions but gives you an idea on performance.

This is brilliant, thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg