Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
I did a bit of loading today to try some new loads in both 300 win mag and 375 H&H. This included some 300gr Woodleigh Hydro's. I was using a Hornady seating die with the floating alignment sleeve inside of it. As I seated the bullets, it met a fair bit of a resistance in the last bit of level throw. I was aiming for 3.600" COAL and achieved it, but ran into crushed plastic caps with a severe indent on the caps themselves from that floating ring. Anyone else run into this? I was using Norma brass (1x fired) with 75gr IMR-4350.

I haven't experienced the exact problem but I have had similar experiences and usually the cause of the problem was the crimp ring in the seating die. The solution for me was to turn the seating plug down further into the die and turn the die out of the press- the result being that the bullet would be seated without the case being pushed as far into the die.

What does Woodleigh suggest for a load when using their HSB? Just wondering if you were dealing with a compressed load. Perhaps someone with a Woodleigh Loading Manual can shed some light on this. As mentioned above I too seat bullets separately from the crimping operation.

I did a quick check on QL. It shows you to be 104% on you fill. But that measurement is often a little different depending on the brass. It's best to measure your own case capacity.

You might try measuring your powder depth compared to the length of bullet shank seated in the case, or makeup a dummy round to see if that happens with an empty case.

I found using long boat tails in my 375 caused a lot of compression with slow powders . Same weight bullets in round nose had no compression.

Like @dchamp suggests maybe a compressed load with the 4350?

As mentioned before, the most likely cause is a compressed powder charge, those Hydros are very long for weight bullets. And of course you may be accidentally crimping the case mouth if the case is going too far up into the die. Those are really the only two likely causes. You may need to choose a denser, similar burn speed powder like Win 760, or go to a slightly faster burning, and lower charge weight powder like RL15

Woodleigh list the max load for AR2209 (4350) as 78 grains and this is compressed. That is with standard soft nose bullets. I use 75 grains of AR2209 in my 375H&H with 300 grain Hydros, Muzzle velocity 2520fps. This is a compressed load but can comfortable seat the Hydros. So powder compression should not be the cause of your problem. I am going to try 76 grains of AR2209 next range session.

Alternatively I can use 69 grains of AR2206H (H/IMR4895) for 2600fps with he 300 grain Hydros.

You can snap the plastic nose cap off the Hydros then press them back on after loading. I seat without the crimp then use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to do the crimp.

Meant to add. I don't have Norma brass, just Federal, Bertram brass.

I was messing with some hammer solids they are extremely long.i had to ditch the 4350 which I have a lot of and went to w760 a ball powder.have not Chronograhed yet though.i just went down the list of powder charges looking at smaller charge weights of a powder I had to try.this time in life u kinda have to use what u have or can find.

Geoff at Woodleigh generally replies to email with a response. He might have a suggestion.

I have some that I have not loaded but
@Dr Ray and @Badboymelvin both use Hydros in different cartridge though.

Geoff at Woodleigh generally replies to email with a response. He might have a suggestion.

I have some that I have not loaded but
@Dr Ray and @Badboymelvin both use Hydros in different cartridge though.

And I’ll be using 165 Woodleigh protected points in 308.

Thank you, all. I've reached out to Geoff for some additional load recommendations. I do believe the compression is the issues. The die was backed waaaaaay out, so I don't think a crimp issue could've caused it.

I believe you are correct. I tried 79 grains of 2209 and in my cases I can not seat the Hydro deep enough to chamber, magazine -Rem700-is long enough not the throat. However I have just finished developing a load of 70 grains of AR2206H ((H/IMR4895) for .75" 3 shot group at 100mts and 2640 fps. 69 grains of 2206H for 2605fps and slightly larger group, could have just been me.

These loads are safe in my rifle, work up to them. You might hit he sweet spot before I did.

Not trying to highjack the discussion but I have bought the Woodleigh Hydro Shock solids and wonder if they are good on elephants or no way? thanks.

Not trying to highjack the discussion but I have bought the Woodleigh Hydro Shock solids and wonder if they are good on elephants or no way? thanks.
You might be able to get some history on the Woodleigh site.
I know they done extensive testing for big game etc.

Think you’ll find Woodleighs are superb for all levels

I have taken 2 Elephant and one Cape Buffalo with them in 416 Rigby. Also a few pigs with 30, 303,358 cals.

I have and mates have had them go through bush, trees and still hit what was aimed for. As far as I can tell it is extremely hard to deflect them. That is I have not seen or heard of them going off course, not saying they wont just that I am not aware of it. I have seen photos of hearts that have been it by Hydro's and they are a mess.

I would say they act on game better then standard solids but not quite as damaging to flesh/tissue as soft nose. Personably I will only use Hydros when a solid is needed. If I can not get Hydros then it would be a flat nosed solid.

Thanks! I want to make sure I am sharing what I have correctly. Mine are very long and have a green plastic looking cap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!