Woodleigh Hydro for buffalo?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
For a buff hunt in Zim I have a 9,3x62 I would like to use. I have loads for both the Woodleigh 286 gr PP and the 286gr hydro capped bullets.

What is your recommendation for first shot on a Buffalo?

I have read that the Hydro does a lot more soft tissue damage than normal solid bullets, and can be used for a first shot on a buff. Especially since it’s at the min energy coming from the 9,3?

Or use the 286 PP for first shot then Hydro as back up?

(my PH is a new native operation and no experience with the Hydro thus I’m asking AHF)

I have hunted two Buffalo with my 9,3x62. The Hydro is an amazing bullet. Really liked them. I had some in my ammo belt if needed. My rifle was loaded with Swift A Frames, I never needed the Hydro.

If the situation is there to use the Hydro then you can use them, but they penetrate deep, I would be hesitant for follow up shots in the herd. They most probably will pass through from most angles.

If I had to it again, I would just take A Frames

Can someone straighten me out on this.......I 'thought' I read somewhere that the PP is best suited for cats, such a lion, and the SP is best suited for buffalo?? The more I read about the PP I have to think they would be great for buffalo too. Thank you for any input you all may have.

Soft points make a bigger hole. Most PH's will tell you to use premium soft for first shot on buffalo. One or two may prefer a solid for the next shot but I have seen a lot of buffalo offer a side on or quartering away shot-still a a good option to use a soft. If you are unlucky enough to wound a buffalo then solids may be a good option and hydros are among the best. My advice is a magazine of premium softs and some solids on your belt

Your Woodleigh 286 grain Protected Point will be fine. You should only load a Woodleigh Hydro (solid) if your PH asks you to, otherwise stick to the softs.

A question I have is if the 9.3x62 is legal for DG in Zim.

Category A animals (elephant,hippo, buffalo) require a 9,2 mm projectile with 5,3 kJ. The 9,3 x 62 mm makes the diameter requirement but only certain loads make the energy. Reality is the authorities do not have the capability to actually test velocity and so you are pretty safe especially if you have the velocity and energy figures of your ammo at hand.

The Protected Point bullet is an excellent choice. It is a premium "soft Point" in the same class as the Swift A Frame. I would load my rifle with a magazine full. Back when SPs were far less reliable, a first shot with a SP followed by solids was pretty much universal. Most PHs now would just as soon have your follow-ups be the same premium SP with which you started the dance. That is certainly my preference. I do actually take Hydros to Africa with me, but their intent is for small antelope rather than buffalo.

I'd have no hesitation using the hydros straight up in the 9.3.
My mate @Mark R has used them extensively for primary shots with great success, maybe he'll chime in here.

I have used them on a bear, and several larger PG animals (nyala, waterbuck, sable) to include the little guys. They kill - they just do it on average far slower than a premium SP. A hydro would not be my first or second choice for cape buffalo - to brain an elephant? Absolutely.

Can someone straighten me out on this.......I 'thought' I read somewhere that the PP is best suited for cats, such a lion, and the SP is best suited for buffalo?? The more I read about the PP I have to think they would be great for buffalo too. Thank you for any input you all may have.
The protected point PP is a pointed bullet and is rated for higher velocity than their standard round nose soft point.

The Protected Point bullet is an excellent choice. It is a premium "soft Point" in the same class as the Swift A Frame. I would load my rifle with a magazine full. Back when SPs were far less reliable, a first shot with a SP followed by solids was pretty much universal. Most PHs now would just as soon have your follow-ups be the same premium SP with which you started the dance. That is certainly my preference. I do actually take Hydros to Africa with me, but their intent is for small antelope rather than buffalo.
They are a good bullet, but I would not put the woodleigh PP in the same class bullet as swift A Frame. They are very soft. These are from a roan 300 gr 375 H&H. Fragments were seen in all other plainsgame shot with them as well. Swift A Frame are much more solidly constructed to retain mass. My PH asked me not to use the woodleighs on buffalo on this particular hunt. He says they do much better in larger slower calibers.
0DE638D5-EB93-457C-A8E7-2C033EEE3D71.jpeg

I think the opposite is the case. The Protected point is to slow down the expansion and allow deeper penetration. The Round nose will expand quickly and transfer the energy quicker at the expense of deeper penetration.

That doesn’t look like a question but a statement…

And of course I’m using hand loads “hot” above book loading data which is usually conservative for older rifles and lower safe pressures

Your Woodleigh 286 grain Protected Point will be fine. You should only load a Woodleigh Hydro (solid) if your PH asks you to, otherwise stick to the softs.

9.3x62 is in the same boat as the .450/400 3” and the 375 Flanged(?). Not legal with any factory ammunition

For a buff hunt in Zim I have a 9,3x62 I would like to use. I have loads for both the Woodleigh 286 gr PP and the 286gr hydro capped bullets.

What is your recommendation for first shot on a Buffalo?

I have read that the Hydro does a lot more soft tissue damage than normal solid bullets, and can be used for a first shot on a buff. Especially since it’s at the min energy coming from the 9,3?

Or use the 286 PP for first shot then Hydro as back up?

(my PH is a new native operation and no experience with the Hydro thus I’m asking AHF)

I had very poor luck with the hydros in Federal loaded ammunition in 375HH on both hippo and buffalo. Got both animals, used a lot of rounds to put it down.

First shot, get a swift A-Frame into the animal. Second round thereafter, use a woodleigh traditional solid, a Trophy bonded Sledgehammer, or a hornady DGS.

The Hydro's will work like a charm but they will almost certainly exit on a broadside shot at a buffalo. I used them on a buffalo from a .500/450 NE and they all went straight through, even the back-up shots from rearwards angles. They penetrate like crazy and leave big holes in their wake!

If you happen to be stalking a lone bull where overpenetration isn't a potential issue, they will be fine. In a herd situation I would go with a decent soft first and follow up with a Hydro once the animal you shot at is in the clear.

I was just thinking about this for my own hunt.
Downsides of Hydros compared with an expanding are smaller wound channel and over penetration possibly leading to injuring another animal. As you said, Woodleigh markets them as having a bigger wound channel due to the concave meplat but I can’t see it being as big as an expanding.
From previous experience on this hunt I know I will be hunting groups of 1-4 Dugga Boys so a pass through is not as risky as in a herd situation. It is also tight quarters in thick thorns so some brush bucking ability will be advantageous.
Taking everything into consideration, I am just running Hydros in my 458. Given the 9.3 is at the lower end of the power spectrum I would consider Hydros to maximise shot opportunity as well. Penetration on a quartering shot may be an issue with a softer Bullet like the Woodleigh PP. I used my 9.3 with 286g A Frames last year On PG. Exited on Impala and Wathog but found the projectiles under the skin on Sable and Zebra with broadside shots.
Good luck with your hunt!

I was just thinking about this for my own hunt.
Downsides of Hydros compared with an expanding are smaller wound channel and over penetration possibly leading to injuring another animal. As you said, Woodleigh markets them as having a bigger wound channel due to the concave meplat but I can’t see it being as big as an expanding.
From previous experience on this hunt I know I will be hunting groups of 1-4 Dugga Boys so a pass through is not as risky as in a herd situation. It is also tight quarters in thick thorns so some brush bucking ability will be advantageous.
Taking everything into consideration, I am just running Hydros in my 458. Given the 9.3 is at the lower end of the power spectrum I would consider Hydros to maximise shot opportunity as well. Penetration on a quartering shot may be an issue with a softer Bullet like the Woodleigh PP. I used my 9.3 with 286g A Frames last year On PG. Exited on Impala and Wathog but found the projectiles under the skin on Sable and Zebra with broadside shots.
Good luck with your hunt!
I have killed Suni, red duiker, and Oribi with the Hydro. On them they did exactly the same thing as a large black bear or waterbuck - a 9.3 or .375 hole through and through. Great for mounting the tiny ten, but not my first choice on large game. A Suni (8-9 pounds for a big bull) dies quickly - larger creatures not so much. Unless you are planning to brain a buffalo, a premium SP is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross