Woodleigh heavy FMJ VS monolithic solids

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
ive been wondering how woodliegh's heavy for caliber solids hold up against standard weight monolithic solids made from copper or brass.

example:

Woodleigh .416" 450gr FMJ VS CEB .416" 400gr safari solid

any one tested these? thoughts?

-matt

no one has even thought about this comparison? im kinda shocked...

perhaps when I get my 500/416 NE back ill do a test using the same bullets mentioned above.

-matt

Last edited:
watermark.php

Here is a picture of one 450gn 458 lott woodleigh hydrostat recovered at the base of the tail from a cape buff.This was the result of a frontal brain shot. This projectile exited the rear of the buffs skull and entered the spine. Traveled the entire length of the spine. The distance at which the shot was taken was 12 paces. Ineterestingely the second shot was 410gn 416 Ruger woodleigh which entered the buffs mouth and travelled under the spine and exited through the buffs left rump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough I too would prefer the Hydro solid over their " heavy for caliber" solid or even another monolithic one.

Even though Woodleigh solids are the most heavily constructed solids on the market, their Hydro Solids are a step ahead again.

I have posted photos before of the damage the 400gn .416 cal does fired out of a 416 Rem at an Eland through thick Mopane' to reach target intended.

I do not have any pictures of any recovered Hydro's. All of mine have been a threw entry/exit shot.

I will be watching this thread, interested to see everypones comments!

never tried the hydro solids as they are even more expensive then north forks!

-matt

You know that your projectile/ round, is the cheapest part of your hunt/safari.
The last thing I want to see is a $3000 trophy fee go running over the hill off into the bush.

One thing I should add to my earlier post is that, although the woodleigh hydrostats seem to be effective and as mentioned expensive compared to traditional projectiles, the main issue both my PH and a couple of friends who have tried them reported was that they had difficulty with reliable feeding. We all know the issues with this when hunting DG. Now, my experience is a couple of years old and I believe that woodleigh have modified the hydrostats with a funky little cap to make it look like a round nose. This cap appears like it will blow off post firing, although I wonder how long it will stay attached if the round is loaded and unloaded a few times. I still think they are worth trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois