Withworth .375 need help with finding manufacture

E.Bauer

Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member of SCI and NRA
New member with a quick question on Withworth Rifles.

Just picked up a .375 the other day. I’ve been trying to find out when it was made. It has the cursive 375 H&H on the barrel. The action has Alexandria, Virginia. INTERARMS, and Manchester, England stamped on it as well.

New member with a quick question on Withworth Rifles.

Just picked up a .375 the other day. I’ve been trying to find out when it was made. It has the cursive 375 H&H on the barrel. The action has Alexandria, Virginia. INTERARMS, and Manchester, England stamped on it as well.
It's Whitworth, not Withworth. You can Google Interarms Whitworth rifle serial numbers to see if anything comes up. If it does then type in the serial number. You can also post some photos. Someone on this forum will probably know the answer.

Sorry for the typo, the only thing that comes up for the serial number search are the civil war muskets. Nothing for modern day rifles, other than for sale items.

Nice purchase,
Did you get it from cabelas by any chance?
I just missed one there a few days ago.
Looks like a great entry level 375

Nice purchase,
Did you get it from cabelas by any chance?
I just missed one there a few days ago.
Looks like a great entry level 375

Yes, I picked it up at Cabelas in Sun Prairie, WI. It was not listed on their gun library for that store though. Has a Trijicon 1.5 x 5 scope on it, and the barrel has been threaded for a suppressor.

Last edited:
Very nice
The one I tried to get was in new York
Currently shows pending in Washington.
Just looked. Lol
I was born in the U.P. btw and grew up north of green bay.

I have two Whitworths. One in .375 with a B294*** something serial number and push button magazine release. Probably made in the early 90s. I just purchased one with an A271*** something number and magazine release in the trigger guard. Couldn’t tell you when this one was made? I’ve been unable to find any reliable information on the internet regarding Interarms Mark X/Whitworth serial numbers and corresponding manufacture dates? Still looking though!

My .375 is SN B2704** and was purchased new in 1984. The actions and barrels were made by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia. The Whitworth rifles were assembled in England, while other Mark X rifles were mostly assembled in Yugo but suspect some were also assembled in England, but its hard to definitively state or prove this.
Very early Whitworth Express rifles will show a stamping of the Interarms castle on the barrel just ahead of the receiver and will say as example .375 H&H Calibre instead of caliber. They will also be stamped Whitworth on the barrel and the top of the left side rail.
Believe they were first introduced in 1974.
Hope that helps.
Here is mine still looking good after 3 safari's.
IMG_1041.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
2317E0FC-37C7-4DAA-84C0-D3AF4F9A9FE8.jpeg
18342DE5-F1F1-47E3-82FF-3DB9F2AE0185.jpeg
My serial number starts B279...
The bottom mag plate release is on the trigger guard. Proof marks are hard to tell what they are without a guide book. The barrel band swivel has been removed, and there are no sling swivels on the stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
My .375 is SN B2704** and was purchased new in 1984. The actions and barrels were made by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia. The Whitworth rifles were assembled in England, while other Mark X rifles were mostly assembled in Yugo but suspect some were also assembled in England, but its hard to definitively state or prove this.
Very early Whitworth Express rifles will show a stamping of the Interarms castle on the barrel just ahead of the receiver and will say as example .375 H&H Calibre instead of caliber. They will also be stamped Whitworth on the barrel and the top of the left side rail.
Hope that helps.
View attachment 317372
Great looking rifle! Safari model just like my Whitworth .375. I just purchased a Whitworth custom with a 22” “F.R. Wells” ? Stamped barrel in .416 Taylor. Two cross bolts (not really needed) and the stock is deeper/thicker at the magazine well and it holds four .458 WM in the magazine? (haven’t made the Taylor brass yet). The action is smooth and flawless (I used .338 WM rounds to check the feeding), but I wish the barrel was longer? But it is what it is! I love the Whitworths!

View attachment 317374 View attachment 317375 My serial number starts B279...
The bottom mag plate release is on the trigger guard. Proof marks are hard to tell what they are without a guide book. The barrel band swivel has been removed, and there are no sling swivels on the stock.
Many, if not most, Whitworths did not have the barrel band. It was present on the Safari models in .375 and .458. ALTHOUGH, I have seen one on a 7mm mag that was for sale? It may have been aftermarket?

There was a short run in the late 80's IIRC of what was called the American Field Series Whitworths in standard cals. My brother had one in 30-06. They were fine rifles as well. I believe most of the Whitworth rifles did have the barrel band as most were in fact either .375 or .458 Win. I have seen some without though. Here is a pic of something most will not have seen before as many just throw boxes away.
IMG_5313.JPG

I’ve seen several people on other Whitworth threads reference Mark X. Is that something that is stamped on the receiver as well? I do not see any reference to that on my rifle.

Hope that helps.
View attachment 317372
I thought you may have been the resident expert on this rifle. Meant to tell the OP to contact you. Your answer was the best/most comprehensive so far!!!

I’ve seen several people on other Whitworth threads reference Mark X. Is that something that is stamped on the receiver as well? I do not see any reference to that on my rifle.
Mark X's are the same rifle basically, same action and barrel quality. Whitworth's are just sort of the top tier of the line up and not always marked Mark X, but it would not surprise me if some were.

I thought you may have been the resident expert on this rifle. Meant to tell the OP to contact you. Your answer was the best/most comprehensive so far!!!
Well thanks but hardly an expert. Have only owned the one that I have, but owned several Mark X's. I always look at them on line to see what SN ranges show variations. Still have a color brochure from years ago showing the different series of rifles.

Frank de Haas in his book Bolt Action Rifles states that the Interarms Mark X rifles (including the "Whitworth" models were manufactured by Zastava in Yugoslavia. Some of them were actually marked as Made in Yugoslavia on the left side of the tang (according to Haas). Uncertain whether Interarms bought complete rifles or simply barreled actions. Although the rifles referred to Whitworth of Manchester England, its likely that the Whitworth company had ceased many years earlier and the name was simply a marketing ploy by Sam Cummins.

The date of manufacture is stamped on the side of the receiver just ahead of the bolt handle in MMYY format for Interarms Mark X & Whitworth actions manufactured by Zastava. This is also the case with Zastava M70 bolt action rifles up through 1989. Some time by 1992, this was changed to two numerals, in YY format. I don't know exactly when that transaction occurred, I'm going by stampings on the rifles and carbines I own.

Well I'll be a suck-egg mule! I went and looked at mine, and found the numbers half buried below the wood line. Took it down and lo and behold! 0983! Sept of 1983. That makes sense as I bought it new in 1984. I never noticed that before, thanks for that info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg