With a two week window, where and when would you go?

Albert A Rasch

Reaction score
Gents,

With a two week window, where and when would you go, if you were going to primarily hunt Cape Buffalo?

To make it a little more interesting, you want to hunt hard and earn your trophy.

Regards,

Bwana Rasch... i am going to blow the trumpet a bit here, but have reason to do so. With the Kilombero South Concession in Tanzania, a 17-year 100% record on buffalo and hundreds of satisfied hunters worldwide, I find little reason for anyone to look elsewhere! The Kilombero Valley is a proven hunting ground and Wild Footprints a proven truly Tanzanian Outfitter. It is a unique hunting opportunity on offer. Nothing compares!

The advantage of Tanzania is that you get two buffalo on license and that is when the hard hunting comes into play. You are assured of getting a trophy by settling for an old bull and have another on license, for which you can really then work for and end-up with a truly exceptional trophy and pursuit of it.

The Kilombero has no season (for buffalo). You get them throughout the season, but for bachelor bulls, october-december is usually the best time. Earlier in the season the grass is still very green and tall and the bachelor bulls slip away most of the time and the herds provide a more realistic hunting chance. But later in the season, when the grass is down and the water scarce, the dugga boys come out to play. Cheers,

Another good place is in Mozambique in the Marameu region. I hunted my Buff there, and I can tell you I had to work harder than i have ever worked before... We were walking through swamps and rivers and tuns of other different obstacles. But I can only recommend it. I was dead tired when I got back, but cant wait for my next trip there.

info

1 : Caprivi Botswana

2: Mozambique

Tanzania will be my choice....

Well.............I am far from an expert on this. I have only hunted buff twice and both times in Zimbabwe. No real world, first hand comparison in other areas. However, I do know a lot of guys who have hunted buffalo in many other places and at different times of the year.

At this point in time if I was picking my next trip for buff, all things considered, it would be Tanzania.

I'm liking Tanzania.

Two buffs eh? That means I can eat biltong until I burst! I love the stuff, little wet in the middle please. With bourbon.

Someone with lots of experience should post something every couple of weeks or so, on some facet or animal. It might engender some more commentaries.

Regards,

There will be more biltong than anyone can handle!!! Bourbon it is... moonshine too if you wish : ) TWO buffs bwana - BIG, OLD & BOLD! You will be in and among them everyday in the hundreds, until that special one appears and you get the opening you have worked for.

Shallom, I can tell you are very accommodating to your guests! BTW, I take my moonshine shaken, not stirred with a biltong twist.;)

Safari Chick, In Africa its the best way to moonshine - with biltong, a good flavored dip, good humored conversation and a crackling campfire under a star-filled sky. Garnish with a cigar and life could not get much better : ) Cheers,

Hello Mr. Rasch,

You may want to contact Aaron Neilson at Global Hunting Resources. He had a Buff special, I think it was in Zimbabwe, possibly in the Save Conservancy.

He sent it out in his E newsletter.

I have been talking to him about a PG hunt in Zim or Namibia for 2010.

Global Hunting Resources

Good luck on your hunt!

Paul

Gentlemen,

Great answers to my question, and good leads for future follow up.

I may have an opportunity coming to me which will fulfill my dream of thirty years to hunt in Africa. It may even allow me to finally get that Double in 500NE I've talked about for twenty.

When I was a wee lad I wanted to move to what was then Rhodesia, kick it around with Peter Capstick, and maybe meet Selby if he came through camp, but things didn't work out as I had imagined while reading old issues of True, in a tent made of blankets and a rifle made of a broken broomstick. You would be surprised how many Fisi roamed that darkened bedroom late at night, and I can't tell you how many times I escaped death when a rogue tembo tore through my camp. But what chilled me to the bone was the long walk to the latrine, the dark hallway of that old Victorian hiding any number of m'bogo waiting to charge me from their many hidden corners...

October through December you say...

I have score to settle

Regards,

I would send one of my clients to Tanzania on a 10 day 2 buff and plainsgame hunt or a 2x1 7 day 1 buff and plainsgame hunt..I believe Tanzania to be the last frontier and argueably the best buffalo available in todays Africa. The gene pool tends towards the best bosses. Also Tanzania is the last of the old time Safaris or at least the nearest thing to one.

As to when since I didn't address that issue above...

I personally don't care as long as its during season July to Mid Nov. in Tanzania and about the same in Zim, because I always see plenty of buffalo and the time of year will change the hunting circumstances and I like to experience all the conditions...

Most folks prefer late Sept. Oct. as prime dates as the bush isn't so thick and the buff are easier to find and easier to identify, but that is part of the hunt so it doesn't bother me at all and I like getting in close. Also the burns have been taking place as a rule and much of the short green grasses are coming up and the buffalo are a lot easier to locate.

I love to hunt the high grass vugas in July or even at anytime if the buff are in there.., that is where the big boys live and its definately more exciting at times..I have actually been pushed around by grazing buffalo in there and could not see them, and one shot would have probably been my demise, but we worked our way out of the center of the heard and wiggled around until we got a great bull...Also the Tetsi are not in the vugas and its cooler out there, at least most of the time.

I also like the late hunts in Nov. when all the water has dried up and the animals are all on the river or at the sparce permenent water, That is your best chance for a real trophy, but the heat during the day and even at night is almost more than I can tolerate...

For most folks just wanting an all around enjoyable experience I would probably recommend a mid August to mid Sept. hunt.

Could not agree more with what you have shared Ray... The same applies to my areas in Tanzania. You can get a buff anytime during the season and we have a 17-year 100% success record on it, but the conditions you have expressed are the variation. Cheers,

Ryan,
I can't think of a happier place to be than amongst them in the tall grass! I recall a few years ago we sat on a big high outcrop and viewed a big Vuga with scattered herds of buffalo into the thousands, it was quite a sight to behold with all those moving black dots out there, especially after hunting the bush for 3 days and not a sign of a buffalo...Saeed and his group of hunters shot over 22 buffalo over the next few days..I shot the biggest buffalo of my hunting career that day.

Something about Tanzania that sets it apart from all the rest.

Yep........it is with Ryan for buff that I would spend the two weeks. Wish I could swing it RIGHT NOW.:(

I could use the break. Bad spring so far for me with hunters that can't shoot. :(

Kelly... anytime bwana - there is a dugga boy with your name on it and there is nothing calm, timid or docile about him - he has the largest collection of ticks on his balls and scaring all over his flanks from lions trying to get to him - you would be doing him a favor by taking him, but he has the same idea about you - what more could a hunter ask for?

Ray, you are spot-on. One of the reasons I never pursued my earlier dreams of hunting as many african countries as possible, is because somewhere along the line I truly felt that there could be nothing to beat a daily dose of buffalo and dangerous game hunting.
Scenarios like you just described are almost spiritual and encountered in my areas on a weekly if not daily basis - it is AWESOME as you say on your side of the world. There are a couple of bad days here and there, but its mostly great days!

Ray, I have a feeling that your hunting party that shot 20 buffalo was in the area just next to me. Was it Mahenge North Block that you were hunting? Am curious. I was told of that big bag and then all the buffalo came to take refuge in my area :) Cheers,

Yep.....I am already there in my mind Ryan. Soon my friend, soon.

Kelly... anytime bwana - there is a dugga boy with your name on it and there is nothing calm, timid or docile about him - he has the largest collection of ticks on his balls and scaring all over his flanks from lions trying to get to him - you would be doing him a favor by taking him, but he has the same idea about you - what more could a hunter ask for?

Ray, you are spot-on. One of the reasons I never pursued my earlier dreams of hunting as many african countries as possible, is because somewhere along the line I truly felt that there could be nothing to beat a daily dose of buffalo and dangerous game hunting.
Scenarios like you just described are almost spiritual and encountered in my areas on a weekly if not daily basis - it is AWESOME as you say on your side of the world. There are a couple of bad days here and there, but its mostly great days!

Ray, I have a feeling that your hunting party that shot 20 buffalo was in the area just next to me. Was it Mahenge North Block that you were hunting? Am curious. I was told of that big bag and then all the buffalo came to take refuge in my area :) Cheers,

Hi Albert,

I am hunting Tanzania and Central Africa. Why don't you try a Northwestern buffalo in CAR ( have a look at my photo gallery )? Yes they are smaller in body and trophy size compare to Cape buffalo but they are fun to hunt. On a 2 weeks you have two on your license and you can add Lord Derby Eland and Roan...
Cheers
Christophe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg