Wish to get 20 gauge shotgun barrels for my Simpson

Mike johnson

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
York rifleman, SCI, NRA
I have a Simpson sxs DR IN .303 BRITISH. It is a perfect rifle for most of my hunting. However the season is very short. I usually get my buck whitetail in archery season, then a doe in muzzle loader season. And then there is a short 2 week season for rifles. Then late season archery and flintlock. I can take one buck, 3 doe, bear, two turkeys, small game and various furbearers plus migratory game. I would love to get 20 gauge barrels for my double rifle to open up its use to 5 months of the year hunting, and 12 months of shooting. I'm sure this can be done, but where?
simson1751-6.jpg
simson1751-8.jpg
simson1751-6.jpg
simson1751-8.jpg
simson1751-7.jpg
simson1751-5.jpg
simson1751-4.jpg
simson1751-3.jpg
simson1751-2.jpg
simson1751-1.jpg

This gun maker in Colorado knows Simson guns and is an avid bird hunter. Also a good shot on running Texas hogs. Contact him - he may be able to help you.

Ellis Brown at Ellis Brown Custom Shop in Fort Collins, Colorado

There are several good gunsmiths that can do a set of barrels for you. as @crs mentioned Ellis Brown can build a set Arron Little is also another smith you might check with.

AZDAVE, I was in touch with Aaron and Ellis this week and both seem quite busy.
Aaron booked for several months and Ellis in the middle of building a .450 31/4 for a client and an update to his HOW To book.
Another place to try is the German Guns forum as there are many savvy folks on that site. They were helpful to me when I first bought my Simson .405.

What you will not find is a set of Simpson barrels somewhere that will simply fit that rifle. Proof marks will tell you, but that looks like a pre-war action. The side clips and third fastener were filed up together by hand - heck the whole mating was done by meticulous hand filing. Your best bet will be to have a set made. That won't be cheap, but such a combination would be nice to have and very practical.

If I am right about the period it was built, that is a very fine rifle. And in a very unusual caliber for a German double. Would be interesting to know its back story.

Yes its a mids 30s gun. I am sorry if I wasnt clear. My intention is to have barrels made and fitted. I understand I cant use Simpson shotgun barrels. I expect to pay about what I paid for the rifle. But the enjoyment of being to use the combo year round in woods and field is very appealing to me. It will also be useful for my africa trip for some bird shooting. My backup rifle is a .375 kimber caprivi. At some point i hope to get a heavier double but for nearly all of my hunting and shooting, this combo will serve me as longbas I roam afield and woods walk.

Yes its a mids 30s gun. I am sorry if I wasnt clear. My intention is to have barrels made and fitted. I understand I cant use Simpson shotgun barrels. I expect to pay about what I paid for the rifle. But the enjoyment of being to use the combo year round in woods and field is very appealing to me. It will also be useful for my africa trip for some bird shooting. My backup rifle is a .375 kimber caprivi. At some point i hope to get a heavier double but for nearly all of my hunting and shooting, this combo will serve me as longbas I roam afield and woods walk.
You are correct - it is a real treasure and will make a perfect combination set for North America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois