Wish me good success, I am headed out after Mountain Lion

Calling cats is truly an act that will test your patience. Never tried mountain lions but called in quite a few bobcats. Sometimes bobcats will completely ignore a call. I had one this year that I could see while deer hunting, gave him a few soft mouse squeaks he sat down looked my way for about 5 minutes then laid down for a snooze for about 30 minutes got up and I gave him a soft dying rabbit call and he looked again and he turned and gave me a cat finger and walked away. Good luck on your quest!

Here it is, after months of putting my trail cam out over gut piles after processing hog/deer/bear/goat, etc. and getting coyotes, ravens, vultures, golden and bald eagles, magpies, wild turkey, and neighbors dogs coming to enjoy the feast... this morning I finally got a cat to come in and take a look around. Gut pile has been gone for days but the area must still smell enticing. Camera is 150 yards right behind my house.

I am headed out this evening to see if I can call this lion in.

View attachment 537618View attachment 537619
If I were to hunt again in US, mountain lion would top my list

Calling cats is truly an act that will test your patience. Never tried mountain lions but called in quite a few bobcats. Sometimes bobcats will completely ignore a call. I had one this year that I could see while deer hunting, gave him a few soft mouse squeaks he sat down looked my way for about 5 minutes then laid down for a snooze for about 30 minutes got up and I gave him a soft dying rabbit call and he looked again and he turned and gave me a cat finger and walked away. Good luck on your quest!
I am still learning to call and have not had success yet, other than calling in a striped skunk and some ravens. But considering hunting cougar with no dogs is one of the toughest hunts in North America, I won't let a couple unsuccessful mornings get me down.

I have a hickory bow I started. I have a vision of calling in a mountain lion and harvesting with homemade bow and arrows.
I didn't make my longbow, but bought it from a bowyer and I have a similar vision. Works great on deer, but a lion will be another level of difficulty. That will be amazing to successfully harvest a cat with a bow you crafted, good luck!

Envious you can hunt them year round. Here in Colorado we do have a fairly long split season, but it’s cold and snowy then. Still I try to get out a few times every year.
We have to use a mouth or hand caller…no e-callers except in a couple of game management units. It’s scary and dangerous using a mouth call calling in an apex predator.
Best of luck!

Envious you can hunt them year round. Here in Colorado we do have a fairly long split season, but it’s cold and snowy then. Still I try to get out a few times every year.
We have to use a mouth or hand caller…no e-callers except in a couple of game management units. It’s scary and dangerous using a mouth call calling in an apex predator.
Best of luck!
Snowy helps immensely as you can find fresh tracks to find a spot to start your hunt. I take the e-caller and a couple mouth calls. Something thrilling about trying to call one in with a mouth call.

What rifle are you using? Looks like a No.1, with fancier wood. :)

What rifle are you using? Looks like a No.1, with fancier wood. :)
It is a number one with a nice piece of factory wood, reshaped and finished by RJ Renner.
.375 H&H.

Cats and bears get bored and sidetracked easily. They require continuous calling, unlike coyotes and wolves.

It is a number one with a nice piece of factory wood, reshaped and finished by RJ Renner.
.375 H&H.

Beautiful rifle! I know RJ Renner's work; I have a CZ 550 worked by them and it changed the look of the rifle completely. I hope you get the cat.

Beautiful rifle! I know RJ Renner's work; I have a CZ 550 worked by them and it changed the look of the rifle completely. I hope you get the cat.
Thank you! He does good work and is very generous with his time when I have questions. He is going to be helping me with the finishing touches on my Ruger No. 1 .405 Win to .450 #2 Nitro Express project when I get to that part.

Nice, please post pictures when you finish your project!

Nice, please post pictures when you finish your project!
Will do. I have a thread for the project, you can follow along as it progresses if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!