Winchester Safari

Bert Reynolds

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a left hand Winchester safari in 375 H&H. Rifle is coming from the other side of the world, so I have a few months to wait. Being a classic rifle, I don’t want to make any serious changes. However I would like an Oberndorf floorplate and a Duane Weibe mag box.

What is the better choice for a trigger guard (PTG, William, sunny hill, swift)?

Is the Weibe XRM still available?
IMG_7616.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG
IMG_7618.JPG

Duane sold off the bottom metal business to a guy who promptly stopped making it. Not sure if he retained any stock of the extra round mag boxes.

Of the other brands, from others who have used them i think the order would be sunny hill, then Swift, but be sure to inspect the swift very well before using.

I really do not know anything about left handed model 70s. I see that the bolt handle is on the left side, but the cheekpiece is on the right. Maybe it is like the famous Bill the kid picture?

Duane sold off the bottom metal business to a guy who promptly stopped making it. Not sure if he retained any stock of the extra round mag boxes.

Of the other brands, from others who have used them i think the order would be sunny hill, then Swift, but be sure to inspect the swift very well before using.
Whoever ships to Australia may be the deciding factor in the bottom metals. Sunny hill seams to have the best reputation of all.

shame about the the mag boxes.

Duh, I will blame it on the heat. Thank you for correcting me.

I have one M-70 it was custom built. I specified Sunny Hills 5 shot magazine. They built it using a 3 round magazine I do not know who was at fault Sunny Hills or the gunsmith.

Lon

Whoever ships to Australia may be the deciding factor in the bottom metals. Sunny hill seams to have the best reputation of all.

shame about the the mag boxes.

if you are in Australia, contact Roger Vardy. I know Duane has gotten a lot of wood from him and If anyone know if there are left over Wiebe parts in Australia (or how to get others over there ) he would know.

I am curious to this also as I have a Mode 70 in 375. Wouldn't it need a new stock for the 5 shot drop box magazine?
Yes if you use the Sunny Hills.

I think you can see why I was so unhappy when the rifle was delivered. I had the custom stock built to accept the deeper Sunny Hills metal. Fortunately he is no longer in business.

Duh, I will blame it on the heat. Thank you for correcting me.

I have one M-70 it was custom built. I specified Sunny Hills 5 shot magazine. They built it using a 3 round magazine I do not know who was at fault Sunny Hills or the gunsmith.

Lon

IMG_7006.JPG

The Sunny hill 5 shots are nice. But I want to keep the original stock. I am currently making one piece magazines and floorplates for some Zastavas I want to take on safari.

if you are in Australia, contact Roger Vardy. I know Duane has gotten a lot of wood from him and If anyone know if there are left over Wiebe parts in Australia (or how to get others over there ) he would know.

Thanks. My 500 Jeffery blank is coming from roger. I will ask him

I may be wrong, but according to Sunny Hills literature they increased (1rd) ''utilizes the factory magazine box, spring and follower. I cannot see how it can be wider using the original magazine box. The only way that I can see that this would work would be in the floor plate internal depth. Possibly we are both correct. If so I could buy new floor metal and replace the standard one?
No. It’s just slightly wider. So it keeps the same stock and just fits one more round

Hi all. I just purchased a left hand Winchester safari in 375 H&H. Rifle is coming from the other side of the world, so I have a few months to wait. Being a classic rifle, I don’t want to make any serious changes. However I would like an Oberndorf floorplate and a Duane Weibe mag box.

What is the better choice for a trigger guard (PTG, William, sunny hill, swift)?

Is the Weibe XRM still available?View attachment 499554View attachment 499555View attachment 499556
I have the Williams Oberndorf style Model 70 bottom metal on a 2010 30-06. I like it, seems well made, did require some slight fitting of the trigger guard bow release for the floorplate. My gunsmith fit it, he thought is an OK part. I am not sure they are still available.
He likes PTG for Oberndorf style bottom metal parts, I haven't used them; I respect his opinion as he does nice custom work.

I emailed Duane Wiebe a few days ago to see if he still made the mag boxes. Unfortunately, he indicated that he does not. It would seem a much easier and cost effective way of adding a round to the mag rather than Sunny Hill drop magazine and full restock.

Is the Weibe XRM still available?View attachment 499554View attachment 499555View attachment 499556
I am similar too , I too am in Australia, currently have the following left hand rifles ...
Winchester Safari Express 375H&H
CZ 550 Safari Magnum 375H&H
plus Zastava's in 375H&H, 9.3x62, 30/06, and 7x57,
The Zastava's I wish to replace bottom metal and safety to Winchester style 3 position......

I have the Sunny Hill 1 piece on my lefty stainless classic model 70. They helped
me with a follower when I converted it to H&H. It is not a 5 shot drop. Can’t say enough about the good service I received from them. The factory H&H follower is unobtainium. Having said all that, under no circumstances would I buy their $400 or whatever it is bottom
metal if I had the factory one already. Mine came with the package.

I am similar too , I too am in Australia, currently have the following left hand rifles ...
Winchester Safari Express 375H&H
CZ 550 Safari Magnum 375H&H
plus Zastava's in 375H&H, 9.3x62, 30/06, and 7x57,
The Zastava's I wish to replace bottom metal and safety to Winchester style 3 position......

Great collection of rifles. I really want a cz550 left hand for a 416 Rigby. Which if your 375s do you prefer?

I just got 3 of the left had Winchester style safeties imported for my Zastava.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!