Winchester safari express or Alaskan?

I am waiting for an Alaskan from my dealer. Went with it over the Safari because the sling rings are on the stock, no band on the barrel. No POI shift when slinging up.

I currently have both, I find the safari express shoulders better and just feels better over all.

I have a LH Safari Express .375 H&H that I bought NIB. In factory trim it does not fit me well. I am having it re-stocked. I like the slightly heavier barrel for recoil reduction and steadier off hand/sticks shooting. It has double cross bolts and barrel band sling swivel attachments.

I was surprised to discover that it would not hold 4 down in the magazine. I am going with a Sunnyhill dropped bottom metal to allow 4 down... which causes some issues with the length of the trigger and guard screws. Hoping it will be safari ready by end of July.

Last edited:
I like the looks of the Safari Express, but the Alaskan seems to actually be in production from Winchester and there are many on Gunbroker...so I'd likely get an Alaskan if I wanted one in the next 12 months.

I like the looks of the Safari Express, but the Alaskan seems to actually be in production from Winchester and there are many on Gunbroker...so I'd likely get an Alaskan if I wanted one in the next 12 months.
The Alaskans listed on Gunbroker are mostly from the same seller. They are marked up about $650 over MSRP of $1449. There is another from a different seller at $1899. They have all been listed for quite some time.

Sorry to necro, but has anyone purchased an Alaskan or safari recently? Talked to a dealer today about an Alaskan in 375 and he said he‘s been waiting for them but has no idea when they are going to produce them again.

Easy! The Alaskan, because im Alaskan, and it goes with my ruger alaskan .454. Although I do prefer the sling mount on the barrel of the safari better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross