Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I bought a brand new Winchester Safari Express .416 Rem. today. I have been kicking the idea of getting a bigger rifle than my CZ .550 .375 H&H. I really wanted a .404 Jeffrey but they sell for $2500 and thought that was crazy when you can buy a .416 Rigby or .416 Rem for a lot less. I was kicking the idea of getting a 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen but I wanted to get something bigger. I think I'll be happy with my choice. No hunts planned, I'm going back to college for 2 years. Plenty of time to plan.

Congrats!
Scope choice?

A gentleman and a scholar you obviously are Eric......durn few of us left! :cool: Good luck on your continuing education, what degree are you pursuing?

Well, I'm going back to be a RN for the time being. I will probably work towards something else.
As far as scope, probably a low power Leupold with detachable mounts. It will be a short range gun for me. I will still use the .375 H&H for most of my hunting.

Well, I'm going back to be a RN for the time being. I will probably work towards something else.
As far as scope, probably a low power Leupold with detachable mounts. It will be a short range gun for me. I will still use the .375 H&H for most of my hunting.

Been thinking about selling my Leupold VX-R 1.25-4, let me know if you're interested.

Oh by the way, my younger son's baseball coach is an RN. Apparently pay and ability to set your own hours is better here in Phoenix. He moved here from Ohio. If you're open to moving, it's food for thought. Personally I hate the heat, but the elk hunting is special here.

Congrats Enysse! You'll be happy with the .416! Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Phil send me PM, I'll think about it. I love Leupolds.

Well after a terrible last year, things had to change. I sold my house last year at Christmas and put everything in storage. I'm not sure where I'll live when I get my RN license but yes the door is wide open. It was a big reason why I changed things.
I have to get the gun shipped to me, I bought it online. I have bought a lot of guns online...competitive pricing.

Eric, sounds like a neat gun. You know of course that there isnt much call for RN's with broken shoulders right??:rolleyes:

But seriously. I use one of the Pachmayer strap on pads when I shoot the big stuff. If you dont have one yet, you will. Enjoy the new gun and the future.

Not to sound like a wimp, but I probably will buy one :). I have shot a .416 Rigby already and that is a lot of gun. I'm not going to modify this gun at all if it fits right. I had some work done on the CZ to get it fit right and that was money well spent. I am not a big guy, 5'10" 180 lbs.
I thought of buying a Sabatti in the 450/400 but I didn't want to save up. It's still a possibility in the future. The . 416 Rem was the first big bore I ever handled, that was 15 years ago, always have been fascinated by those big cartridges!

Congrats E.
No shame in practicing with the pad or lead sleds.
Buying a new gun is planning for the next hunt. You just don't know where yet. It will happen.

There is always work for skilled nurses. There is s shortage in many areas. You have already worked nights long enough. It will not be an issue for you.
Good luck with your studies.

Thanks Brickburn, at first I thought it would be super hard training for nursing but a lot women like some muscles for the heavy work, so all is good.

Thanks Brickburn, at first I thought it would be super hard training for nursing but a lot women like some muscles for the heavy work, so all is good.

Watch your back. The most common injury!

Congrats Eric, I really like the 40 bores. Like the runner-up as well :heh:

Well the 35 Whelen is pretty affordable :). Ammo prices are good, aside from the elephant and cape buffalo it could be the perfect big game rifle. They term it the "9x62".

Well the 35 Whelen is pretty affordable :). Ammo prices are good, aside from the elephant and cape buffalo it could be the perfect big game rifle. They term it the "9x62".

I would have to say, I really like your opinion about the 35 Whelen,,,:thumb: If I were a re-loader I would love to have a 400 Whelen, but I am not, so I will not. BTW, went by my gunsmiths house yesterday and chewed his ass about my rifle (Mauser 458 win mag, work in progress for 4 1/2 years) he said he would have it completed by first part of June, the stock comes in next week. Like you, no hunt planned, but when I plan one I'll have a gun ready.

The 222 would be fine for Ele and Buff, don't kid yourself...:p

Congrats on the new gun Eric. still kicking the idea around myself for a double just going to have to find someone close by so I can see how they handle, all this talk about pie plate targets at 50 yrds SCARED ME OFF heck I kick myself in the butt when I don't have 1/2" or less groups at 100. post some pics of your new baby and lets have a look.

I thought about the .458 Win for a long time but the ammo is little more in cost and so is the recoil. I'm not as rough and tough as you Scott, though I would be open to shooting .470 NE just for the experience.
Buff Buster has a .470 NE double rifle :), Bob to shoot. Honestly, I don't think a 450/400 would be to bad for a double.

btw I've got a custom 8mm Mauser 98 that I've built thinking on converting it to a 35 Whelen for my go to gun I like 35 whelen to.

Well I have a .325 WSM , I have always liked the 8mm Rem Mag., but the 35 Whelen is a great gun, really under appreciated.

8mm rem mag is a fantastic round (one of the best I have ever shot/tested) . Had one quite a few years ago, with the price of factory ammo, ended up trading it for the 375 H&H. Not that I regret it but, I kinda do.

Bobby, convert my friend, convert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross