Winchester Model 70 Custom Shop Super Grade Express .375 H&H

I can give you some back story on these CRF guns out of the custom shop.....
In 1989, Winchester was getting ready to bring back the "pre 64" action and they did it by taking orders through their custom shop to start with. I called and talked to Bruno Pardee, then the head of the custom shop, in late 1989. With his help we spec'ed out an order. The base price was $1995. They started the serial number on theseguns at G1 I think. I so wanted a low serial number but was late to the show and mine is G10XX. I added a pop-up night sight and matte finish and had them cut the barrel at 25". I think I ended up around $2350 total. I remember how much money this was and how I told my wife I would stop going out to lunch with the guys at work to pay for it and pack my lunch. She was pregnant with our first, and I really could not afford to do this. Fast forward a few months into1990, about the time I thought I might be expecting the rifle and I get a call from Bruno. He wanted to apologize, as somehow the stock on my rifle was damaged. It was not ready. He had personally picked out a new stock blank and he would try to get it to me as soon as possible. I told him no hurry, just please do a good job and that I didn't need it until late September for a Wyoming hunt I wanted to take it on, to break it in. I told him I would send in the balance owed, which I did. Now back in those days, there was no internet, so news about things like companies in bankruptcy status that you just sent a bundle of money to, were not readily known. I don't remember how long it had been since I last heard from Bruno, but I called the custom shop number one day. No answer. I Tried later that day. And the next day. And many more times that week. I finally started just calling numbers that added 1 to the custom shop number. I want to say about the third number tried, I got an answer from a guard shack at the plant. He told me they were shut down, in bankruptcy, and being bought, but he thought they would re-open. When I told my wife this news, she started calling my dream rifle the Phantom. I did finally get it in November of 1990. To this day everyone in my family knows which rifle I mean when I say I am taking the Phantom. It is the rifle I hold in my avatar photo here on AH. Great rifle and a great deal at that price. Last time I insured mine through SCI he put $5000 on it and that was a few years back. Whoever gets this will NOT suffer buyers' remorse!

Last edited:
You bought my CZ550 as a client gun, but I think this one will be staying in your hands. :cool:

Congratulations because I know both of you are good guys and the deal is as good as done.

You bought my CZ550 as a client gun, but I think this one will be staying in your hands. :cool:

Congratulations because I know both of you are good guys and the deal is as good as done.
Thanks but we will see if he accepts my offer!

I see the illusion that caused the confusion. The jeweled follower looks like a bolt without an external extractor. :)

Yeowsa! That is one fine rifle! Another unexpected design detail is the stock because it has the newer, straight comb design. 1990 seems fairly early for a straight comb but may have been the standard in the custom shop or as an option? Either way I like it. I have the Super Express version of this rifle from from a little later, about 1996, but it has a Monte Carlo. I like the straight comb better. This one appears to have very nice dimensions and is a bit slimmer than the more current production models. No matter the trivia..... someone is going to end up with an exceptional rifle!
For sure, I agree with the straight comb too, it feels much better. I was looking at the pics too and the illusion of the follower with it being jewelled as well. It has alot of really beautiful finishes. I have owned alot of Model 70s and this is amazing with all the details. I own 3 other .375's that I use regularly, otherwise I wouldn't consider selling it. With the crap being produced today, to get something of this quality you will pay upwards of 8-10k... Gun was made in 1990, and to be still unfired, is a feat in itself!! Thanks for the kind words!!

I really appreciate the offer Scott and Midas, but I am not going to budge at $3500.00 for this gun. It is a great deal at what I am asking. Maybe I should increase the price to $4000.00 and I will get offers of $3500.00 ;) :ROFLMAO:

Happy Hunting!

In 1989, Winchester was getting ready to bring back the "pre 64" action and they did it by taking orders through their custom shop to start with. I called and talked to Bruno Pardee, then the head of the custom shop, in late 1989. With his help we spec'ed out an order. The base price was $1995. They started the serial number on theseguns at G1 I think. I so wanted a low serial number but was late to the show and mine is G10XX. I added a pop-up night sight and matte finish and had them cut the barrel at 25". I think I ended up around $2350 total. I remember how much money this was and how I told my wife I would stop going out to lunch with the guys at work to pay for it and pack my lunch. She was pregnant with our first, and I really could not afford to do this. Fast forward a few months into1990, about the time I thought I might be expecting the rifle and I get a call from Bruno. He wanted to apologize, as somehow the stock on my rifle was damaged. It was not ready. He had personally picked out a new stock blank and he would try to get it to me as soon as possible. I told him no hurry, just please do a good job and that I didn't need it until late September for a Wyoming hunt I wanted to take it on, to break it in. I told him I would send in the balance owed, which I did. Now back in those days, there was no internet, so news about things like companies in bankruptcy status that you just sent a bundle of money to, were not readily known. I don't remember how long it had been since I last heard from Bruno, but I called the custom shop number one day. No answer. I Tried later that day. And the next day. And many more times that week. I finally started just calling numbers that added 1 to the custom shop number. I want to say about the third number tried, I got an answer from a guard shack at the plant. He told me they were shut down, in bankruptcy, and being bought, but he thought they would re-open. When I told my wife this news, she started calling my dream rifle the Phantom. I did finally get it in November of 1990. To this day everyone in my family knows which rifle I mean when I say I am taking the Phantom. It is the rifle I hold in my avatar photo here on AH. Great rifle and a great deal at that price. Last time I insured mine through SCI he put $5000 on it and that was a few years back. Whoever gets this will NOT suffer buyers' remorse!
I may suffer sellers remorse... lol:confused:

Thank you! Enjoy the rifle!

Great story and history. Thanks for posting

Yes Winchester made some CRF Super express in late 80's and may be very early 90's. Just for 3 or 4 years.
Krish

Had a bad time with Winchester custom shop in the early 90s would never trust anything from that time frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!