Winchester Model 70 375H&H Wood & Synthetic Stock Exceptionally Clean

raamw

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA and Illinois Stae Rifle Assoc LIFE MEMBER, US Navu
This is the last of my large caliber M70 It is a 375H&H it has a beautiful wood stock with nice character and a winchecter Synthetic stock. Has warne steel 2 peace mounts. I have never hunted this rifle and only shot it several time, no flaws that I can see. I am asking $1550 + shipping. Will be FFL to FFL US only Offers will be considered

DSCF0771.JPG
DSCF0783.JPG
DSCF0773.JPG
DSCF0772.JPG
DSCF0776.JPG
DSCF0774.JPG
DSCF0786.JPG
DSCF0785.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a Connecticut, South Carolina or Portugal rifle. I can't make out the print on the barrel.

Stamped on the right side of the barrel says Made in the USA Baco Inc., Morgan Utah Serial # starts 35azmxxxxx. from what I can find GOOGLE indicates it was built by Mirko Japan and assembled in Portugal,

Last edited:
Stamped on the right side of the barrel says Made in the USA Baco Inc., Morgan Utah Serial # starts 35azmxxxxx. from what I can find GOOGLE indicates it was built by Mirko Japan and assembled in Portugal,
I was unaware that model 70s of any era were made by Miroku in Japan. It sounds like this is an FN era model 70, unclear if it was made in South Carolina or is somewhat later production than that. It is a nice rifle.

I was unaware that model 70s of any era were made by Miroku in Japan. It sounds like this is an FN era model 70, unclear if it was made in South Carolina or is somewhat later production than that. It is a nice rifle.
This is just even more confusing to me.

To track these model 70' place of production since the company has changed hands, currently owned by a mega company with facilities all over the world but what I can find that South Carolina production was transferred to Portugal. If i recall I purchase this rifle in 2007. F N Herstal group owns U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company. It It has a corporate partnership with Japanese company, Miroku Co.,Ltd..[4] Since 1997.
Browning has used portugal and japan for either manufacture or assembly. Hopefully some one has an accurate date of manfacture for M70s
I found this on a Winchester owners forum for what it is worth

Today's Model 70 bolt action rifles are made at our factory in South Carolina, U.S.A. The Model 70 factory is part of the same state-of-the-art manufacturing complex where the rifles and machine guns used by America's Armed Forces around the world are built. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standards of quality that the U.S. Government insists upon for military firearms. Previous production was at the New Haven, Connecticut factory. That factory closed in 2006.
Another post on that site

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am

The final assembly of all Model 70s is now done in Portugal. Much of the manufacturing is done in the USA. FN facilities in Portugal are ramped up assembly and have a very long history in that area for fine firearms. Most if the sticks, metal work, barrel making, etc., is done in South Carolina. Having a batch of Model 70s from 1942 to very recent, the old ones and the new ones are very, very good. Maybe the 1980s saw some decline in quality, but I have a 1985 Model 70 with a great history, and I am keeping it along with the others. The shift towards final assembly in Portugal was done to keep prices down, and quality very high.Your Model 70 in 30-06 will,serve as a hunting rifle for enough years it should become a family heirloom. I inherited a Model 70 30-06, and it is going to be a deer hunting rilfe for probably a century more! Of all Model 70s though, I have the most love for the Featherweights. The Super Grade assembly and parts manufacturing is on pretty much the same place, etc., and if you can deal with a somewhat heavier rifle it is an unbelievably good value. The current Featherweight stock, checkering, is outstanding. Perhaos you have noticed stainless barrel and actions are being added to current products. Make sure though, the blued barrel and action hold up very well. Oil and clean then, put them up,after a rainy or snowy hunt and they will last a very long time!

www.WinchesterOwners.com

Last edited:
This is just even more confusing to me.
Sorry. I didn’t mean a response to make things less clear. The history of model 70 production is complex, no doubt. There are push feed models and controlled feed models and pre-64s and post 64s and one piece bottom metal and two piece bottom metal, New Haven rifles, FN manufactured rifles assembled in Portugal, and on and on.

I agree with the above post that the oldest model 70s and the newest ones are very good rifles. Some of the ones that fall in the middle or not so good. The last New Haven guns vary considerably in their quality. FN up’d their game quite a bit. I have one of the recently manufactured featherweights and it is as good as any model 70 I’ve ever owned from any era.

I have this rifle’s twin. Per a lot of reading prior to purchase (the sources of which escape me at this time) this is a rifle that was made in the US, in South Carolina, following their resumption of production for the model 70. This is true of all the made in usa, baco, Utah stamped guns. Utah is where the conglomerate was headquartered at that time (maybe still is).

When they transitioned to Portugal assembly, they became labeled as such.

so, this rifle, US made, and assembled, in South Carolina with more modern CNC technique, not new haven with older manufacturing technology and less quality control.

FWIW, mine is a gem. Bought used but in stock configuration it is moa with TSX bullets (the 250 ttsx and 300 tsx) which are the only loads I’ve developed.

I was thinking it must be a South Carolina FN if it's from 2007, although I don't know just when they transitioned to Portugal. To me, this the most desirable of the M70s after the mid-1950s.

Thanks to all of you that added to my knowledge on this thread. FYI. I have Model 70s from about 72, (3006, my deer rifle) late 80s, in .300 HH. 92 .375 HH which has hunted Africa and a FN M70 from 2011 in .264 WinMag. All of these rifles will out shoot me, especially the .264 and the late 80's model which is a .300 HH.

Believe it or not, I have figured out on the barrel stamping "BACO Inc"
it is a abbreviation for Browning Arms Company

:) That is correct. Any Miroku gun will be so stamped- for example their M 101 O/U shotguns have been made at the Miroku plant for many years. All the Winchester models, including their levers, made at the Miroku plant that I've seen have been top quality.

Last edited:
PM being sent.

I think it is a South Carolina M70. The Portugal ones say assembled in Portugal.
2007-2013 were South Carolina made and assembled.

Last edited:
I think it is a South Carolina M70. The Portugal ones say assembled in Portugal.
2007-2013 were South Carolina made and assembled.
I beleve you are correct, winchecter has changed hands quite a few times, the stamping on the barrel are somewhat unclear

It is my humble opinion that the South Carolina made M70's will be more desirable in the future because they are the last ones made in USA and the several I have handled are of exceptional quality.
Nothing wrong at all with the Portugal M70's fit, finish, or function. Just that Made in America is Made in America.

My opinion. YMMV

DB

This is the last of my large caliber M70 It is a 375H&H it has a beautiful wood stock with nice character and a winchecter Synthetic stock. Has warne steel 2 peace mounts. I have never hunted this rifle and only shot it several time, no flaws that I can see. I am asking $1550 + shipping. Will be FFL to FFL US only Offers will be considered

View attachment 414621View attachment 414622View attachment 414623View attachment 414624View attachment 414625View attachment 414626View attachment 414627View attachment 414628
I was asked to post some daylite photos

DSCF0798.JPG
DSCF0802.JPG
DSCF0803.JPG
DSCF0808.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber