Winchester Model 70 .375 - Where to purchase?

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
Hello,

I have read many of the threads recently about .375 models, that have been very informative. I am in the market for one now, and have seen good reviews on the Winchester Model 70, as well as Ruger and CZ USA. I know I can order both Ruger and CZ through Cabelas and Gander Mountain, but any of you who own a Win Model 70, can you tell me where you purchased yours if it was from a retail store?

Thank you,
Charles

I try to buy my Rifles from Brick and Mortor stores,I have Arnzen Arms here in the cities and found them to be very competitive ,Cabelas prices seem fair but Gander is High priced,,I have had great luck buying from Grabagun online stores and Buds guns,Have it shipped to and FFL dealer and pick it up (no sales tax is nice) Made several purchases from Grabagun and never had a problem just google them

Hello,

I have read many of the threads recently about .375 models, that have been very informative. I am in the market for one now, and have seen good reviews on the Winchester Model 70, as well as Ruger and CZ USA. I know I can order both Ruger and CZ through Cabelas and Gander Mountain, but any of you who own a Win Model 70, can you tell me where you purchased yours if it was from a retail store?

Thank you,
Charles

A friend of mine has an FFL and I'm having him check on a deal for you. He would ship it to your FFL. If you can PM me your zip code, we can figure out the shipping costs.

Check out Northern Firearms or Reeds Sports (same company) out of Walker MN. I suggest calling and giving them a day or two to get back to you.. And ask for a package deal if you want a scope with it.

Last time I was there they had one on the shelf... And they have a big sale coming up this weekend. Tend to be very competitive and a good starting place at least. Pretty sure they will ship for free and not charge extra for a cc. Great store to visit in person. Every April they have a weekend where you can actually shoot the guns and have factory reps on hand... Near Little Falls MN on a game farm. Loads of fun and good deals... Reeds gives you their best price and if you make nice with the factory reps they give you some monopoly money to put towards your purchase...... This is another reason I own too many guns!

Although I bought my last new model 70 from a small shop on the way. Dave at the Backus Corner store. He had to order it and it took about 5 days. But he beat their price this time. And I think there is a M70 in 375 H&H on the shelf at Mills Shooting ion Brainerd MN.

A friend of mine has an FFL and I'm having him check on a deal for you. He would ship it to your FFL. If you can PM me your zip code, we can figure out the shipping costs.

My buddy got back to me. He can get you one for $1200 plus shipping, no tax as it's over the internet. Need to know your FFL's zip code to determine shipping.

Thank you for all the feedback so far!

Grabagun has the Safari for a touch over 1100.00 and the Alaskan for a touch over 1200.00,,I don't know what the difference between them is but I'm sure Winchester website will tell you,,they also show the CZ550 American for around a Grand,,they ship for cheap money and don't have a credit card fee

I like, and have both the CZ Safari and Win M70. Both are "Mauser" style actions "Controlled Round Feed" so you have a very strong action lockup. As much as I'm a CZ man I would trend towards the M70. It looks nicer and the action is a bit smoother (for those that want that out of the box). You also have the patented 3 position safety on the M70. I think the CZ will allow you 1 extra round in the mag. Another advantage to the CZ is that you only need ringmounts as the "Magnum Square Bridge Action" has "built in bases" if you want to call it that.
I have set of Talley bases and QD's rings on my "converted" M70 (375H&H to 404 Jeffery). The trigger on the M70 is excellent in my opinion. Really crisp. CZ is heavy unless you use the "set trigger" function.
The M70 Alaskan series has a 25" barrel and weighs 8lbs 8oz and the Safari series has a 24" barrel and weighs 9lbs, and has a barrel band for the sling. The Safari has 2 recoil lugs, the Alaskan 1 recoil lug. The barrel contour maybe a bit heavier in the Safari version. The bluing seems to be more durable on the M70. CZ bluing seems to get a fine film of rust quite quickly (salt bluing process maybe?).
I have an Alaskan in .338WM and it's a really nice rifle. I'm wondering why CZ hasn't jumped on the .338WM "band wagon" in an affordable rifle. I know they have the Safari series in .338 but they is pricey! I guess they figure the 9.3x62 will do what the .338 will so why build one....then there's the 8x68....lovely round!
One other option is a Zastava M70 in 375H&H. It is a Mauser action based on the K98 action. It is a good robust rifle. It's not as pretty as a Win or CZ but still an excellent rifle. I have an old Interarms Mark X/Zastava in 7x57. It's a very good & accurate rifle.

I had a CZ American in 375HH I used it in Africa then sold it after my trip,,seeing the error of my ways I opted for the Whitworth/Zastava to save a few pounds and think it's as Nice as anything out there in it's price range My Whitworth was purchased used with a Burris 1x4 for 750.00 and it shoots just as good as the CZ.Y ou can Buy the Zastava for Dirt cheap Money and even if you have to have the Action worked on to Smooth it out you still come out well under an M70 or a CZ,,I think if I was to purchase another big game rifle the M70 would be my first choice but only because I don't have a Winchester in My Collection,,

1_zpsef49b5c5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post 8x68, I think CZ loves the 9.3x62....it's a really nice caliber.

Great post 8x68, I think CZ loves the 9.3x62....it's a really nice caliber.
Thank you muchly. It is an awesome calibre as is the 375H&H. Zastava has a all weather version of the M70PSS in 9.3x62. I would like to get one and try it out.

Just saw a Brno in 375HH on gunbroker

Just saw a Brno in 375HH on gunbroker
I have a BRNO ZKK 602 in 375H&H. It's a great rifle/calibre!
The safety has been changed on the rifle on Gunbroker to the Win M70 style. Price is way too high. Most I would offer would be $700 (Blue book 34th edition $495 for 95% + $200 for the scope.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,