Winchester Model 70 300 H&H Magnum Super Grade

Thedoveshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Short story: I bought a Model 70 300 H&H Magnum Super Grade for $400.

Long Story: I wandered into a local gun shop near Houston a few months back. Was considering a nice Standard pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Win. for a good price, but I asked if they had anymore Model 70s. They said they had one other "but it has paint on the stock and needs a lot of TLC." I asked to look at it. I saw real fast that it was a Super Grade. Looked at the hang tag and it was marked a a 300 Win Mag, but the barrel was stamped "300 Magnum". I assumed it was 300 &H as it was too early for a Win Mag. I looked down the barrel and the bore was great. Asked them how much and they said $400. Needless to say, I bought it.

Restoring the stock was beyond my skill set. Sent it to a guy highly recommended by a friend whom he had used many time for his collection of pre-64s. Almost too nice to shoot now. Almost. After I work up a load for it, I'll be packing it this deer coming season in Texas.

Before stock restoring:
win1.jpg

After stock restoring:
win3.jpg

win2.jpg

Well done! Congrats!

Wow, nice rifle, love my 300 HH, took alot of animals in Zambia last yr with it, pre 64 also but not Supergrade, use it, funny- alot of the creedmore/grendel guys never heard of 300 HH, am in Texas also, wish i had a good stock guy close

Long Story: I wandered into a local gun shop near Houston a few months back. Was considering a nice Standard pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Win. for a good price, but I asked if they had anymore Model 70s. They said they had one other "but it has paint on the stock and needs a lot of TLC." I asked to look at it. I saw real fast that it was a Super Grade. Looked at the hang tag and it was marked a a 300 Win Mag, but the barrel was stamped "300 Magnum". I assumed it was 300 &H as it was too early for a Win Mag. I looked down the barrel and the bore was great. Asked them how much and they said $400. Needless to say, I bought it.

Restoring the stock was beyond my skill set. Sent it to a guy highly recommended by a friend whom he had used many time for his collection of pre-64s. Almost too nice to shoot now. Almost. After I work up a load for it, I'll be packing it this deer coming season in Texas.

Before stock restoring:
View attachment 458449

After stock restoring:
View attachment 458453
View attachment 458452
Outstanding find sir!! Sometimes it pays to clear the crust off to find the jewel hidden in the package. The 300 H&H (30 Super) is a grand old cartridge that has sadly fallen out of favor. Enjoy your rifle sir.

Lord I wish I would have walked into that store, who would price a pre-64 action alone at 400 bucks? Wow! Beautiful job getting her dressed for the prom!

Lord I wish I would have walked into that store, who would price a pre-64 action alone at 400 bucks? Wow! Beautiful job getting her dressed for the prom!
The shop said it was on consignment. Apparently I got one of the last out of over 30 Sakos and Winchesters. One guy at the shop said one of the other Model 70s was a carbine .257 Roberts.

Thedoveshooter, your initials aren't JJ are they? As in Jessie James. Nice find, I think I would have put fancier stock on it though, being a Super Grade and all.

Beauty of a price and now after the restoration, beauty of a rifle.
Furthermore, the original H&H version of all the .300 Magnums in this world is IMO, still the very best of them.

The first time I set foot in Africa, (Namibia) I brought a Model 98 Mauser, in .300 H&H, with a simple 4x Zeiss scope.
And, shooting 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets @ a tic over 2800 fps, it put a decent pile of so called “plains game” in the salt.

That cartridge was designed for shooting African antelopes, zebras, warthogs and such likes.
It was near perfect then and it remains so today.
The .300 H&H is my favorite hunting cartridge for open geography and sparse foliage conditions.
In other words if it is likely that I might have to shoot out beyond about 300 yards or so, such as across a steep canyon, etc.

(I have also taken a number of caribou and black tail deer with it in Alaska).

Before stock restoring:
View attachment 458449

After stock restoring:
View attachment 458453
View attachment 458452
You're gun turned out beautifully, and what a neat find! Being in Texas myself, I have to ask, is your stock guy local; at least somewhere in or nearby Texas? Would love to know his contact info for future reference if the need arises.

I’m going to go go somewhere quiet and cry out of envy. The Holy Grail of Winchester Model 70s. And in such a classic plains game caliber. I was fortunate enough to hunt a huge eland bull in 1982 with a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum (loaded with 220Gr Winchester Silver Tips). The rifle’s an absolute tack driver.

Heartiest congratulations.

Thanks for the kind words. I still haven’t shot it yet. Too dang hot here in Texas. All of July was 95-100 degrees. Would have to shoot once then put the rifle in the chest freezer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg