Winchester M70 .375H&H optics/mounts

Fastrig, I’m not familiar with “B&H”. Could you post their website?
Thanks!

Fastrig, I’m not familiar with “B&H”. Could you post their website?
Thanks!

B&H appears to buy in lots from the various manufactures and if you keep an eye on their site they often will run pretty good discounts when they get to the end of a lot on given products. I've used these guys for camera and audio/video for years. When they started carrying optics I was glad to see they continued this trend and if you are in no hurry it pays to keep a bookmark on the gear you want and check back every week or two to see where the price is at. Been lucky on more than one occasion on hitting some pretty good deals. $1149 each for the scopes, free shipping and no sales tax, which is quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I checked for the VX-6 HD 2-12x42....they only had the basic firedot reticle left, would have liked the one that's similar but has the windage hashes, but these will be fine I'm sure. Don't like a cluttered reticle anyway.

Thanks! Good info!

Having an issue with mounting a Leupold 2x7x33 firedot on my model 70, it seems the spacing for the base mounts are to far apart for the scope to set in the mounts properly. Can anyone tell me what bases and rings would work best? I would like QD bases if practical. Thanks

All of my rifles get a full one piece weaver/picatinny rail with lots of spacing options. More than one of my rifles have a ring directly centered in the middle of the closed bolt. I've never had a spent cartridge snag, but concede that's not a great idea on a dg rifle

One has Tally QD and the other has Warne QD both have Zies 1x6 scopes. One can never have too many 375 H&H's.

Having an issue with mounting a Leupold 2x7x33 firedot on my model 70, it seems the spacing for the base mounts are to far apart for the scope to set in the mounts properly. Can anyone tell me what bases and rings would work best? I would like QD bases if practical. Thanks

With M70s there are three factory spacings. the front ring has always be .86". the rear bridge is most commonly .86" which is standard for the standard cartridges that don't involve lengthening the magazine and opening the action. For the longer cartridges the bridge was notched so there was less top metal in the bridge. With less room, the spacing was reduced. In the Pre-64 magnum models the spacing in .435". Newer magnum models have been standardized at .33". So most M70s will be either .86" or .33", with a few older ones at .435". As such, the makers of bases produce to the larger market, primarily .86" and a few making some with .33". The .435" are rare and produced by the more specialty companies such as Talley.

The other option is to get a one piece base but most one piece models has two screws in the ring and only one in the bridge. As such, the bridge hole is aligned with the standard .86" front hole. So the Leupold and similar one piece base won't fit the magnum actions of either .33 or .435 spacing. The old Buehler one piece mount also had three screws with the front two in the rings and the rear screw placed over the rear bridge hole, which is the same for almost all factory drilled holes. So the Buehler would work on all three of the options. Unfortunately, Buehler has been out of production for many years.

With scopes getting heavier I chose to use a HD tactical rail with recoil underlug that contacts the edge of the forward receiver. This removes most of the shear forces on the screws. The Leupold firedots are lightweight and not an issue but with the new Vortex HD and PST II scopes it is. Also, with the rail mounting a short scope is no issue. EGW makes good HD aluminum bases.

I put a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 red dot on my Mod 70 Safari Express 375. Had Ray's Sporting Goods in Dallas mount the scope with Leupold rings. My old eyes could shoot it with iron sights, so I didn't need QD mounts.

I initially thought illuminated sights were a gimmick.... but boy was I wrong. Total change of mindset. Eyes also getting older and iron sights not easy to use. Major change came in working up loads with double rifle. Put a reflex on it and bingo! easy to sight in and work up loads and realized that with the red dot the double really becomes the complete killing/stopping machine at close quarters. Put Leupold's 1-6x Firedots on heavy rifles. Also mounted a PST II 1-6 on a 416... with a steel rail it would be crazy heavy but with aluminum rail better. Found out reflex sights tried out on combat aircraft in WWI and also on rifles... nothing new... just repackaged these days.

Talley makes an offset 2 pc base to fit all iterations of the M70. You can use their fixed or QD mounts on them. That may solve your problem. If you’re in Dallas stop by their booth.

Talley makes an offset 2 pc base to fit all iterations of the M70. You can use their fixed or QD mounts on them. That may solve your problem. If you’re in Dallas stop by their booth.

Talleys are the problem. Actually, just one out of four screws is screwed-up, but that leads to talley customer service. Generally small companies do a great job of service after the sale. Apparently, Talley missed that class. I went through Dallas once.

Three basic problems may be encountered with mounting some modern scopes on the Win 70. I have overcome the issues with varying methods. Don't be afraid of mixing and matching and thinking outside the box about bases and rings. After all, you are the owner and user of the equipment. :) And if you have friendly, local gun store- use them. Many times I've been able to go behind the counter and sort through different odd parts and mounts, etc. to come up with what works.

As has been posted, the Win 70 has had the different hole spacing systems over the years and different set-ups for their "magnum length" scope mounting specs. You'll have to get out your calipers and determine which you have. Then as a FACT with the M70, the rear section of the receiver is lower than the front, so the rear base/mount HAS TO BE TALLER BY THE SAME AMOUNT. If not, cinching down the scope will put unwanted and damaging bend forces on the scope.

The final thing I've run into, not only with Win 70 but others as well, is that many modern scopes are "short coupled" which may not allow proper ring spacing/location on the scope for proper scope location on the rifle. That's where the mix and match and "thinking outside the box" may be very useful.

IMO, if you can figure out how to do it, one of the best and strongest systems that may allow optimal ring location on a short bodied scope on actions like the Mauser 98, Win 70, Montana 99, etc., is the dual dovetail system.

On a Mont 99 (very similar to a Win 70) I had to use a set of dovetail rings by one manufacturer, using the off-set on the front, then mate those rings to two different brands of dovetail bases to get where I needed to be on the rifle. I used a 1" lapping bar with compound to ensure perfect alignment between the rings and pesto! IMO, the best, strongest for my purpose.

Pics showing short scope mounting on Mont 99 using dual dovetail set up. Mounts don't impinge into port and scope is rotated 90 deg left for max scope/turret clearance for ejection and loading.

Scope mnt on M99.JPG
Rear DT on M99.JPG
Front DT on M99 .JPG

Tools for scope alignment and mounting

scope mounting and alignment.JPG

Thanks everyone, I will contact the gun shop with this information. I’m currently in Florida so for delayed response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg