Winchester 70 Stainless Classic 375 H&H

The model 70 from Winchester is the United States of America's greatest gift to the world of hunting . It is really fortunate to know that they have reintroduced the mauser type extracting claw device again. In my time , none of the model 70 rifles which clients would bring had the Mauser type extracting claw device.
The synthetic stock interests me . What advantages or disadvantages to they offer over a traditional stock of say, French or American walnut ?

I am probably in the minority. I prefer synthetic over walnut as it doesn’t absorb or lose moisture. This could potentially change point of impact. Synthetic can be made lighter and stronger than walnut.

I also am less afraid of damaging a synthetic stock while hunting. If I do, a little sanding and paint will fix as good as new.

I love walnut stocked rifles and own some that are beautiful. I don’t mind hunting with a synthetic. It is a tool that serves a purpose. Stainless steel is not a bad thing either. Blue is beautiful. Stainless is nice.

Last edited:
The model 70 from Winchester is the United States of America's greatest gift to the world of hunting . It is really fortunate to know that they have reintroduced the mauser type extracting claw device again. In my time , none of the model 70 rifles which clients would bring had the Mauser type extracting claw device.
The synthetic stock interests me . What advantages or disadvantages to they offer over a traditional stock of say, French or American walnut ?
Mr. Rahman,
Mr. Johnson is spot on with the benefits of the synthetic stock. Also you will see stocks made from lamination of many layers of wood to give a more eye pleasing solution to the composites weather resistance. Recoil is also mitigated some through design and material in the stock. Ruger may have had the worst design with their skeletonized stock made from I believe Zyntel( I may be incorrect in the spelling). It was about as brutal to the shooter as I have seen. The recoil pad was like attaching a cheese grater to a 2x6 piece of lumber and being beaten with it!
Others such as McMillan and H-S Precision have done wonderful things with Kevlar and other materials.
I equate the difference between a rifle stocked with the finest wood and a beautiful blue job and a stainless composite gun to the difference between the girl that you would without a doubt be proud to take home to meet your mother for a Sunday meal and the girl that you absolutely would not want mother to know you are seeing. Both have a purpose!
A Gentleman’s Hunt in Africa, a nicely figured blued rifle is a good choice. This is where you chose the prom queen.
A river float hunt in Alaska, stainless steel and composite is the best option. This is where you choose the belle of the ball.
Cheers,
Cody

I am probably in the minority. I prefer synthetic over walnut as it doesn’t absorb or lose moisture. This could potentially change point of impact. Synthetic can be made lighter and stronger than walnut.

I also am less afraid of damaging a synthetic stock while hunting. If I do, a little sanding and paint will fix as good as new.

I love walnut stocked rifles and own some that are beautiful. I don’t mind hunting with a synthetic. It is a tool that serves a purpose. Stainless steel is not a bad thing either. Blue is beautiful. Stainless is nice.
KE Johnson , thank you so much for explaining to me. Synthetic stocks seem to be getting increasingly popular these days and with sound reason. I am an old soul. I like walnut wood stocks , albeit acknowledging that l have probably little practical reason for this.

Mr. Rahman,
Mr. Johnson is spot on with the benefits of the synthetic stock. Also you will see stocks made from lamination of many layers of wood to give a more eye pleasing solution to the composites weather resistance. Recoil is also mitigated some through design and material in the stock. Ruger may have had the worst design with their skeletonized stock made from I believe Zyntel( I may be incorrect in the spelling). It was about as brutal to the shooter as I have seen. The recoil pad was like attaching a cheese grater to a 2x6 piece of lumber and being beaten with it!
Others such as McMillan and H-S Precision have done wonderful things with Kevlar and other materials.
I equate the difference between a rifle stocked with the finest wood and a beautiful blue job and a stainless composite gun to the difference between the girl that you would without a doubt be proud to take home to meet your mother for a Sunday meal and the girl that you absolutely would not want mother to know you are seeing. Both have a purpose!
A Gentleman’s Hunt in Africa, a nicely figured blued rifle is a good choice. This is where you chose the prom queen.
A river float hunt in Alaska, stainless steel and composite is the best option. This is where you choose the belle of the ball.
Cheers,
Cody
Cody
, thank you so much for explaining to me. Synthetic stocks seem to be getting increasingly popular these days and with sound reason. I am an old soul. I like walnut wood stocks , albeit acknowledging that l have probably little practical reason for this. A synthetic stock , in all probability is less likely to split than a wooden stock . I have seen three or four wood stocked rifles split , especially the High Power models from Browning made in magnum .458 Winchester. A client told me that this was because the wood was treated with salt or something of the sort. Salted wood , it was called .

Cody
, thank you so much for explaining to me. Synthetic stocks seem to be getting increasingly popular these days and with sound reason. I am an old soul. I like walnut wood stocks , albeit acknowledging that l have probably little practical reason for this. A synthetic stock , in all probability is less likely to split than a wooden stock . I have seen three or four wood stocked rifles split , especially the High Power models from Browning made in magnum .458 Winchester. A client told me that this was because the wood was treated with salt or something of the sort. Salted wood , it was called .
Indeed Browning had a issue with Salt Wood, this stemmed from a process developed by Morton Salt to dry wood for the manufacturing of furniture. Standard Kiln Drying took to long and browning looked at the process Morton had developed in order to dry their stock blanks more rapidly. The stock blanks were stacked in a large area and had salt applied to them to wick moisture much like salting of capes for our trophies. This worked well to extract the moisture problem being the moisture extracted created a salt brine and ran down to soak the stocks on the lower courses of the stack. This had more effect on the gun metal than the wood. The wood cracks are most likely caused by aggressive Kiln drying practices as browning was trying to meet demand for gunstock walnut.

Mr. Rahman,
Cheers,
Cody
Just like hunting rifles....
The belle of the ball may be nicer to look at than a bar room beauty. But the bar room gal is far more likely to let you go in the back 40 without her complaining about it.

Just like hunting rifles....
The belle of the ball may be nicer to look at than a bar room beauty. But the bar room gal is far more likely to let you go in the back 40 without her complaining about it.
Kinda what I was getting at Toby, only I really only care about how they function, if they have quirks, scratches or dents I don’t give a damn as long as they work as intended. Now a rifle on the other hand can be corrected by a good gunsmith! Lol

Apparently I'm much more likely to part with a gun for having flaws than I am a woman. My girl would've been traded in years ago if she was a rifle!

Apparently I'm much more likely to part with a gun for having flaws than I am a woman. My girl would've been traded in years ago if she was a rifle!
I still regret getting rid of some guns.

As an engineer I went into battle many times with marketing groups who wanted “form” over “function”. If it doesn’t work everywhere under all conditions, I’m not interested.

Full disclosure, I do have a lovely Krieghoff drilling I hope to take to Africa for a combo fowl and night critter hunt some day. I’m waiting until then for the maiden scratches.:cry:

Ridgewalker, I didn't know you owned a Krieghoff drilling. Pics Please.

IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
They also put non-folding rear sights on the latter production runs. These also have the recessed crown. The latter sights appear the same as the Safari Express on a 416 That I have.
I also have examples of at least 3ea different magazine followers used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifle. I bought it's left handed sibling in 416 Remington for my son. I had the barrel shortened to 22", NECG front and rear sights and the rifle CeraKoted. We shoot 400g A-Frame factory through it and it shoots about 1 1/4" center to center at 100 yards. Nice rifles. He likes it.

82EmlAe.jpg

Once again congrats on a nice rifle!

Attachments

• 82EmlAe.jpg
    82EmlAe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
The Lott found a new home today. You should've jumped when you had the chance!

must mean I wasn’t supposed to have it

I've owned one for 6 or 7 years and have found it to be a fine rifle. The factory tupperware stock should be replaced asap(I used a laminated stock), but other than that I would recommend picking one up if you can find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg