Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
A question for the Winchester 70 experts out there...

Ive got a Winchester 70 Stainless Classic in 375 H&H. Its a CRF made in the 90's.. the gun is still 100% "factory".. no changes made to it at all.. 2 piece bottom metal.. factory trigger.. etc..

What, if anything makes it functionally different than a Pre-64 Winchester 70 .375 H&H?

The reason for the question.. I recently purchased an after market laminate stock for the rifle.. that SHOULD have been a drop in.. the stock is for a Pre-64 Winchester 70 on the "H&H" action with 2 piece bottom metal....

While the barrel appears to have enough room in the barrel channel, it looks like the inletting for both the action and the bottom metal is too narrow (appears to be the right length and depth, but not the right width).. pics attached..

Were the pre-64 guns dimensionally skinnier by maybe 1/16th of an inch? or was this stock just not cut correctly?

1675194166719.jpeg
IMG-3248.jpg
IMG-3247.jpg

You need a Post-64 stock.

Even though the new CRF actions are "functionally" the same as Pre-64 actions the dimensions are the same as Post-64 actions.

Why you ask?? Because engineers....

+1 to the above.

The post 64 takes a different stock, dimensions of the 2 actions are close but you will need a post 64 stock.

Yep… learned the hard way…

Got the new stock ordered yesterday..

A lesson for all of you… this is what happens when your wife decides she likes one of your rifles more than you do and needs it restocked to fit her…

Solution? Never show her ANY of your firearms! (Mine seems to like ALL of my guns sooner or later…)…

:D

Yep… learned the hard way…

Got the new stock ordered yesterday..

A lesson for all of you… this is what happens when your wife decides she likes one of your rifles more than you do and needs it restocked to fit her…

Solution? Never show her ANY of your firearms! (Mine seems to like ALL of my guns sooner or later…)…

:D
Yup, and THAT my friends is how you end up cutting chunks off a beautiful Rigby stock;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg