Winchester 70 Classic Super Express .458win - Any info?

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Has anyone here owned a New Haven Model 70 Classic Super Express? - I have the opportunity to buy one and thought I'd see if anyone here has actual experience with them?

Clean looking gun with a couple of handling marks on the stock, missing the rear sight since a scope was mounted - no scope mounts included either.

Barrel says "classic super express" and on the other side its marked as - New Haven CT, Magazine plate says
"super express"- barrel mounted swivel(but not a barrel band), red rubber recoil pad, monte carlo style stock.

CRF action, .458win

So anyone with experience on these guns and any thoughts to the value?

I just bought one for $950 last week.

shoots well so far

I bought one in 375 last year on gunbroker. To my door was $800 and it was in spectacular condition - 1 tiny tiny scratch on the stock.

Super accurate rifle as I think the super express sights give the best sight picture on the market - 2 shots often cloverleaf at 50 yards from a bench. They fold though...
Trigger was like 8 pounds but I put a mccarbo spring in and it dropped it down to either 3 or 3 1/2

I don't know if the 458 brings a premium price

I was looking for one of these in 375 a while back. I found a classic SM (synthetic matte?) which appears to be the same rifle with a synthetic stock and no barrel mounted sling stud.
I prefer the new Haven rifle because of the lad style trigger, and the firing pin springs are easier to replacements for.( ask me how I know)
If your after a 458 I say go for it.

I bought one in 375 last year on gunbroker. To my door was $800 and it was in spectacular condition - 1 tiny tiny scratch on the stock.

Super accurate rifle as I think the super express sights give the best sight picture on the market - 2 shots often cloverleaf at 50 yards from a bench. They fold though...
Trigger was like 8 pounds but I put a mccarbo spring in and it dropped it down to either 3 or 3 1/2

I don't know if the 458 brings a premium price
mine was a 458

I bought a 416 remington mag few monthas ago. I paid 1300 for it. Same set up. Excellent shape. No scratch, 99.9%. If that would help. They are not easy to come by.
Has anyone here owned a New Haven Model 70 Classic Super Express? - I have the opportunity to buy one and thought I'd see if anyone here has actual experience with them?

Clean looking gun with a couple of handling marks on the stock, missing the rear sight since a scope was mounted - no scope mounts included either.

Barrel says "classic super express" and on the other side its marked as - New Haven CT, Magazine plate says
"super express"- barrel mounted swivel(but not a barrel band), red rubber recoil pad, monte carlo style stock.

CRF action, .458win

So anyone with experience on these guns and any thoughts to the value?

@BnC 04 is really good with the Win M70.
He's really into the pre-64's, but is very knowledgable about all of them.
If he doesn't respond, you should send him a PM.

Assuming its 95%+ condition and taking into account your missing rear ramp, I'd put it around
$900-950.
If you do purchase I may have a rear sight you can have. Just let me know.
In the end it's a Winchester with CRF and came out of New Haven plant, winner if you ask me!

Assuming its 95%+ condition and taking into account your missing rear ramp, I'd put it around
$900-950.
If you do purchase I may have a rear sight you can have. Just let me know.
In the end it's a Winchester with CRF and came out of New Haven plant, winner if you ask me!
Agree it's a Winchester, as I owned a 1994 version of the Winchester Classic Super Express. I don't generally like Monte Carlo stock but this fit very well.

It had been worked over by an unknown gunsmith who knew exactly what to do.
Action had been polished, bolt and follower jeweled, trigger broke at 3 pounds like glass. Safety was properly "timed"

I loaded the magazine with 350 Speers, 400 Woodleigh, or 500 Hornady and with bolt open, on a full magazine, with the rifle at the low ready position, could jerk it forward, and the bolt would feed a round and close with a loaded round fed.
Accurate as well. Cycling the bolt from the shoulder I couldn't hardly feel the feeding.

You can find factory rear sights from I think Numrich Gun Parts, or other gunsmith supply houses.

Weighed 8.5 pounds bare and handled much better than the subsequent Safari Express, of which I've owned in .375and .416.

I'm thinking of getting another new Model 70 Alaskan, like my 375 , and having it rebarrelled to .458 for a very ergonomic pair of rifles.

With proper gunsmith attention, you can't go wrong.

Still have not moved on it... It's sitting in a gun shop and listed online - I spoke with the owner of the shops wife who was not very informative, figured I'll go into the shop next time I'm there and see if I can work something out; it's currently listed @ $1,250 - which I think is over priced considering the feedback I've gotten here + the rifle is missing the rear sight and as a small but noticeable ding in the stock...

Sounds like fair market on the gun would be $800-900

$1250 is indeed a lofty ask....there is a M70 New Haven 416 Rem on GI right now for $990. That's a good buy.
My opinion with missing parts and such $900 is the upper range BUT all it takes is a buyer who wants that rifle and it will sell for the full ask.

Yeah I was just kicking it around because it is a new haven gun; the chances of someone walking into a gun shop in southern Oklahoma and impulse purchasing a .458Win with no rear sight I believe are rather low.

Next time I'm up there I may stop in and see it in person, but I doubt they'd be willing to take the drop in price I would need to justify buying it.

I’m for sure a fan of the New Haven rifles. I was just throwing that out there. I sold my safari express 375 (Portugal) for a New Haven rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg