Winchester 70 Alaskan 375 H&H

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I may or may not have a Winchester 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H on the way. I have read alot of reports on these rifles elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these rifles. I've read various conflicting post about the actual weight of these rifles. The specs say 8lbs 8oz. However, that's the same weight it shows in all calibers. I've read one post that stated his rifle came in at 7lbs 12oz. I would think the larger hole in the barrel and the steel that's removed from the action to accommodate the larger cartridge would trim some of this weight off. So, I'm hoping for somewhere near 8lbs or less for the bare rifle weight. This would put me under 9lbs with the scope I plan to use.
Any experience out there with this rifle?

My Dad has one, but I’m not sure of the weight. It’s a nice rifle, but I find the barrel a bit to long.

Send @BnC 04 a PM if he doesn't respond.
He's a Winchester whiz.

Seriously? The “larger hole in the barrel and steel removed from the receiver to accommodate the larger caliber” reduces the weight? Not familiar with the Winchester, but the Browning A/X Bolts are in at a light 6-7lb. range whether in a .300 or .375? The receivers and barrels are all the same weight. A wooden vs. synthetic stock may change the rifle’s weight by a few ounces.

Seriously? The “larger hole in the barrel and steel removed from the receiver to accommodate the larger caliber” reduces the weight? Not familiar with the Winchester, but the Browning A/X Bolts are in at a light 6-7lb. range whether in a .300 or .375? The receivers and barrels are all the same weight.
If the barrel profile is the same and the actions are the same length, then yes, the 375 should weigh somewhat less than a 300 win mag in the same rifle.

If the barrel profile is the same and the actions are the same length, then yes, the 375 should weigh somewhat less than a 300 win mag in the same rifle.
I just checked Browning’s website for their X Bolt Hunter. 7mm, .300, .338 and .375 are ALL 7.0 lbs. Winchester rifles in various calibers and models may differ?

Just checked Winchester’s website for the Alaskan. .30-06, .300, .338 and .375 are ALL 8.8lbs. Way TOO HEAVY, buy a Browning! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I just checked Browning’s website for their X Bolt Hunter. 7mm, .300, .338 and .375 are ALL 7.0 lbs. Winchester rifles in various calibers and models may differ?
That's exactly my point. No way they all weigh the same if they all have the same exact barrel profile. Just look at the Winchester 70 Safari Express. They state the same weight for 375, 416 and 458. It is well known that the 375 is heavier than the 458, due to having a smaller hole in the barrel, which removes less steel.

I may or may not have a Winchester 70 Alaskan in 375 H&H on the way. I have read alot of reports on these rifles elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with these rifles. I've read various conflicting post about the actual weight of these rifles. The specs say 8lbs 8oz. However, that's the same weight it shows in all calibers. I've read one post that stated his rifle came in at 7lbs 12oz. I would think the larger hole in the barrel and the steel that's removed from the action to accommodate the larger cartridge would trim some of this weight off. So, I'm hoping for somewhere near 8lbs or less for the bare rifle weight. This would put me under 9lbs with the scope I plan to use.
Any experience out there with this rifle?
My new Mauser 98 in 7x57 weighs more than that with scope and mounts!

S
That's exactly my point. No way they all weigh the same if they all have the same exact barrel profile. Just look at the Winchester 70 Safari Express. They state the same weight for 375, 416 and 458. It is well known that the 375 is heavier than the 458, due to having a smaller hole in the barrel, which removes less steel.
Good point! I only own an .338 A Bolt and a mid 70s Winchester .270. I love my Browning, but regardless of weight, I think the CRF actioned Winchesters in a larger, potentially DG caliber is the way to go between the two. But, I prefer my Whitworths and CZs in the larger calibers, because they are really heavy bastards and tame heavy recoil really well and were/are what I can afford.

My new Mauser 98 in 7x57 weighs more than that with scope and mounts!
I’ll bet that is one GREAT rifle! Just curious, but would you know the weight of the rifle without the scope and mounts?

It was just over 8#. Its 9.5# with scope mounted, steel Leupold rings and bases. MEO 3-9x40 scope.
Barrel while only 22" is .675" dia at the muzzle, which is pretty heavy for a sporter. All metal on the rifle is steel.
Yeah, while it may be a heavy little bugger its really nice.

My older stainless steel laminated stock in 30-06 with 3-9x VX II scope is 9 lb 1 oz. Heavier than I like to haul around the mountains of Colorado!

You're welcome
When I was shopping for 375, I read on other sites about weight of this.
It balances right in front of the action screw., if I was going to keep it I'd have the barrel shortened 2-3". But it handles nicely as is, with a Leupold 2-7 VX-R, weighs about 9.2# in Talley rings.
Thinking of selling it for another project, but it's a nice rifle and accurate.

You're welcome
When I was shopping for 375, I read on other sites about weight of this.
It balances right in front of the action screw., if I was going to keep it I'd have the barrel shortened 2-3". But it handles nicely as is, with a Leupold 2-7 VX-R, weighs about 9.2# in Talley rings.
Thinking of selling it for another project, but it's a nice rifle and accurate.
Is yours the blued/walnut version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg